New Guy from the UK

Chulahoma

Dec 9, 2014
Lancashire
Welcome! I was born in Macclesfield, Cheshire, not far from you, although I have been in Canada since I was a toddler. My parents, like many immigrants in the 1960's, latched on to the game almost immediately and became die-hard hockey fans. ( Maple Leaf fans, I' m almost embarrassed to say! :)) I was enrolled in youth hockey, with my siblings, and embraced and played the game until I was a teenager. In high school, I thought Gary Unger was he coolest hockey player ever, and that the Blue's had the best logo ever. (Still do!) That, combined with rebellion against my Leaf fan family, made me a Blue's fan for life. Just a loyal person, I guess. Glad to have another Englishman on board! You will love this forum, the posters here are intelligent, informed, articulate and insightful. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Hi, I wish I had been brought up with the game from being a kid like you. I loved football and played it every moment I could and I can only wonder at how I would have thrown myself into hockey if I was over there. I'm just loving everything about the game. The reason I chose the Blues is I just warmed to them immediately for some reason and no matter who they were playing I found myself rooting for them. People were saying I should go for one of the original 6 etc. etc. but I couldn't do anything but cheer for the Blues. Also I'm a massive blues music fan, the Mississippi hill country style, so that was it for me. I also remembered being impressed by Oshie in the Olympics shootout and saw that he played for the Blues so that was another reason.

Just a quick question, what's the story with the Maple Leaf's? Everyone seems to give them plenty of stick!

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Welcome Chulahoma. You've become a Blues fan at the best time in history to do so. I hope we'll be able to enjoy The Blues win The Stanley Cup for the first time. I've been waiting roughly 47 years for that. If I have to wait much longer, I may not have the wits left to enjoy it. Already I have a lot of trouble even remember to which thread I am posting! :cry:

Lol, perfection Robb :handclap:!

Hello everyone,

I'm from the north of England near Manchester and have always enjoyed watching hockey when the limited opportunities arose on TV over here (olympics) and regularly see my local team in action. I've recently been watching a hell of a lot of the NHL as loads of games are available on Premier Sports and it's blowing me away how amazing it is! Right from the start I just found myself favouring the St. Louis Blues. I knew nothing about them but every time I saw them I was rooting for them and now consider them my team which might sound a bit weird living so far away. Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself and ask if there's room for one more?

All the Best

Welcome aboard the St. Louis Tarasenko's, Chulahoma! You chose well, for you have unknowingly jumped on board the graveytrain of the greatest sports franchise of all time. Only rivaled by the Great Boston Red Sox, which is a close, yet somehow distant second (really just depends how close they are by what time of year it is.)

Enjoy the ride!
f6rfr.jpg

Last edited:

Chulahoma

Dec 9, 2014
Lancashire
Thanks to everybody who's welcomed me, despite the open wounds many of you are still nursing, you all seem to have retained your sense of humour! Also I forgot to mention that I have some cousins who live in Springfield, MO, which isn't a million miles away.

Last edited:

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Are you ever running the midzone trap and you just want that little bit more? Hitchcock's system goes to 11.

or

"There was an ancient race of druids...."

No one knows who Eric Brewer was...or what he was doing....but his legacy remains. Here in the living rocks of Scottrade...

potsos

Jan 25, 2014
Freeport, Antonica
Welcome, my friend! Many in this thread have done a great job already but I'll add this:

You've become a Blues fan at a very interesting time. The Blues have had one of the top teams in the NHL for the last 3-4 years, but they've lacked a really elite scoring line, which they now have in Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko and a true sniper which they have in Tarasenko. Schwartz also has a hell of a shot and can score a timely goal.

As others have mentioned, the Blues are also nursing nearly 50 years of failure when it counts--the playoffs. An undercurrent of doom is always churning just beneath the surface and there's always a sense--even when things are looking good (such as a 2-0 lead in a playoff series) that the other shoe is just waiting to drop and every year, it always does.

The Blues have had incredible regular season success for several years now (and other times historically) and that success has never translated into postseason glory. However, they've have met the absolute best teams in the west (LA/Chicago) each of the last three years, played admirably--even outplaying their opponent through large stretches--but still ultimately losing. The last two seasons, the Blues have jumped out to a 2-0 lead in best of 7 series and each time, they've lose the next 4 straight games, often in excruciatingly close fashion.

This is a great group of dedicated fans who live and die with this team and another is always welcome.

If you'd like to enjoy and agonize over some pieces of St. Louis Blues lore, I'd recommend the following moments, nicely compartmentalized for you:

1. Unfortunately, the greatest moment in St. Louis Blues history is generally considered a 1986 Conference Final victory in game 6 against the very heavily favored and eventual Cup champion Calgary Flames. Game 6 highlights begin at 1:44. This clip still chokes me up and probably always will due to the nature of the game and the fact that the winning goal was scored by Doug Wickenheiser, a high draft pick underachiever who died of cancer just a few years later. The announcing of Ken Wilson is also pretty fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yodTX7a-Fc

2. Also fantastic is the greatest comeback in NHL history (at least at the time) the Blues performed against the Toronto Maple Leafs back in the late 90s/early 2000s. Cant remember the year, I apologize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4kxfgP1mEc

3. And here's what has to be the lowest moment of my life (and probably others here) as a Blues fan. After a real gutsy effort from a depleted Blues team with their backup goalie against on of the greatest teams of all time--the 95-96 Detroit Red Wings--in a series that went all the way to double overtime of game 7... well, this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVu5-NmD8gg

Hope you enjoy and welcome! LGB!

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Chulahoma, when The Blues are in The Stanley Cup Finals, you'll have to come to Missouri and visit your cousins in Springfield, and see a couple Blues' Finals games. I hope to make a trip there when they get into The Finals. I have a good friend in K.C. and lots of family in Chicago.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Hello everyone,

I'm from the north of England near Manchester.

I have some ties to your area. I used to spend a fair amount of time in Lancashire in the 1970s and 1980s, importing US and Canadian Northern soul records there for The Northern Soul scene. I had friends in Eccles (Monton), Salford, Oldham, Stockport, Preston, Bolton, and all around.

fishsandwichpatrol

Mar 29, 2014
Upstate SC
Welcome! There's always room for more fans of course. We seem to have gathered a pretty good contingent of European Blues fans on this board as well.

Fair warning: the Blues have never won the Stanley Cup and probably never will (ok that last part was pessimistic) I mean this could be the year! But the Blues are currently a great team and we have a lot of exciting young players so I hope you stick around and enjoy the team.

This is true, but on the optimistic side, besides a bad period after the lockout the Blues have pretty much always been a competitive team that's usually a lot of fun to watch.

Chulahoma

Dec 9, 2014
Lancashire
I have some ties to your area. I used to spend a fair amount of time in Lancashire in the 1970s and 1980s, importing US and Canadian Northern soul records there for The Northern Soul scene. I had friends in Eccles (Monton), Salford, Oldham, Stockport, Preston, Bolton, and all around.

That sounds like it was a cool job to have. I was born in Bolton and have lived in Lancashire my whole life, apart from university up in Scotland.

Chulahoma, when The Blues are in The Stanley Cup Finals, you'll have to come to Missouri and visit your cousins in Springfield, and see a couple Blues' Finals games. I hope to make a trip there when they get into The Finals. I have a good friend in K.C. and lots of family in Chicago.

That's definitely on my radar, I love the US but I've only ever been to New York (and New Jersey if you count the airport and a taxi ride to Manhattan!).

Chulahoma

Dec 9, 2014
Lancashire
Welcome, my friend! Many in this thread have done a great job already but I'll add this:

You've become a Blues fan at a very interesting time. The Blues have had one of the top teams in the NHL for the last 3-4 years, but they've lacked a really elite scoring line, which they now have in Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko and a true sniper which they have in Tarasenko. Schwartz also has a hell of a shot and can score a timely goal.

As others have mentioned, the Blues are also nursing nearly 50 years of failure when it counts--the playoffs. An undercurrent of doom is always churning just beneath the surface and there's always a sense--even when things are looking good (such as a 2-0 lead in a playoff series) that the other shoe is just waiting to drop and every year, it always does.

The Blues have had incredible regular season success for several years now (and other times historically) and that success has never translated into postseason glory. However, they've have met the absolute best teams in the west (LA/Chicago) each of the last three years, played admirably--even outplaying their opponent through large stretches--but still ultimately losing. The last two seasons, the Blues have jumped out to a 2-0 lead in best of 7 series and each time, they've lose the next 4 straight games, often in excruciatingly close fashion.

This is a great group of dedicated fans who live and die with this team and another is always welcome.

If you'd like to enjoy and agonize over some pieces of St. Louis Blues lore, I'd recommend the following moments, nicely compartmentalized for you:

1. Unfortunately, the greatest moment in St. Louis Blues history is generally considered a 1986 Conference Final victory in game 6 against the very heavily favored and eventual Cup champion Calgary Flames. Game 6 highlights begin at 1:44. This clip still chokes me up and probably always will due to the nature of the game and the fact that the winning goal was scored by Doug Wickenheiser, a high draft pick underachiever who died of cancer just a few years later. The announcing of Ken Wilson is also pretty fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yodTX7a-Fc

2. Also fantastic is the greatest comeback in NHL history (at least at the time) the Blues performed against the Toronto Maple Leafs back in the late 90s/early 2000s. Cant remember the year, I apologize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4kxfgP1mEc

3. And here's what has to be the lowest moment of my life (and probably others here) as a Blues fan. After a real gutsy effort from a depleted Blues team with their backup goalie against on of the greatest teams of all time--the 95-96 Detroit Red Wings--in a series that went all the way to double overtime of game 7... well, this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVu5-NmD8gg

Hope you enjoy and welcome! LGB!

Thanks so much for going to the trouble of posting this, I honestly feel honoured to become part of such a tradition. Love the sign in the crowd that said "The Fat Lady Sings The Blues"

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad