New Guy from the UK

Chulahoma

Dec 9, 2014
Lancashire
Hello everyone,

I'm from the north of England near Manchester and have always enjoyed watching hockey when the limited opportunities arose on TV over here (olympics) and regularly see my local team in action. I've recently been watching a hell of a lot of the NHL as loads of games are available on Premier Sports and it's blowing me away how amazing it is! Right from the start I just found myself favouring the St. Louis Blues. I knew nothing about them but every time I saw them I was rooting for them and now consider them my team which might sound a bit weird living so far away. Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself and ask if there's room for one more?

All the Best

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Welcome! There's always room for more fans of course. We seem to have gathered a pretty good contingent of European Blues fans on this board as well.

Fair warning: the Blues have never won the Stanley Cup and probably never will (ok that last part was pessimistic) I mean this could be the year! But the Blues are currently a great team and we have a lot of exciting young players so I hope you stick around and enjoy the team.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Welcome, always room for more, just prepare to have your heart broken again and again and again, well eventually you'll know what I mean lol.

Next season will always be our season.

Chulahoma

Dec 9, 2014
Lancashire
Thanks for the welcome,

I'm used to football over here and unless you are one of the top three or four teams in the Premier League you're never going to win it so it might be our year is good enough odds for me! The players seem to have a real spirit running through them at the moment but can I ask how the team has performed historically in terms of style of play and how they are viewed by everyone else in the league? I've read about the reputations of certain other clubs but can't find much about the blues.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Welcome. Nice to see the warnings about this teams underachievement in the past are out of the way early :laugh:

Did you get Premier Sports just for the NHL? I honestly have got no idea what else they show! It was a terrible decision by the NHL to give them the rights, they should have basically given them away to Sky Sports or even BT Sport for the increased exposure. If you continue to get more into hockey, then you are probably going to have to rely on streams, the coverage here in the UK is close to non-existent sadly.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Blues of the past 3 or 4 years have been viewed as a hard working, blue collar team that will forecheck the puck into the net. There is a reputation of dirty from somewhere, but I still haven't found the cause.

Now, Blues seem to be transitioning into a pure puck possession team.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Thanks for the welcome,

I'm used to football over here and unless you are one of the top three or four teams in the Premier League you're never going to win it so it might be our year is good enough odds for me! The players seem to have a real spirit running through them at the moment but can I ask how the team has performed historically in terms of style of play and how they are viewed by everyone else in the league? I've read about the reputations of certain other clubs but can't find much about the blues.

Well good. To make a football comparison, we're probably a mix of Everton and Arsenal, and style wise, a good amount of similarities to Chelsea.

We've traditionally been a blue-collar defensive, physical team. Lately, we are transitioning into a skill, transition team. Both styles have emphasized puck possession.

In football terms, defending as a unit and counter-attacking is pretty key to what we do, and when we are really on our game, we can dominate in possession like Barcelona.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Welcome. It's pretty awesome the amount of European fans we have here.

As for the reputation, we've been a reasonably successful franchise from the very beginning, but have never won the ultimate prize. We've pretty much always iced a competitive team, but rarely a championship caliber team. 90s were the golden years. Some historical players you may want to research are Brett Hull, Chris Pronger, Al MacInnis, Glenn Hall, Jacque Plante, Scott Stevens/Brendan Shanahan fiasco, Plager brothers, Bernie Federko, Sutter family, Mike ****ing Keenan, Jeff Brown, Pavol Demitra, Doug Wickenheiser and many more I'm sure I'm forgetting. Each of those guys have had a profound impact on the franchise both positively and negatively on and off the ice.

sst338d

Oct 20, 2014
Yes welcome to you! Hockey is an amazing sport with some very intense fans! Doesn't seem to be a lot of casual hockey fans, but hockey has a lot of very passionate fans! I live here in the St.Louis area and I am a huge overall hockey fan that watches hockey every night of the week with the center ice package. I have been a die hard Islanders fan since I was a little kid (they were the kings of the league then and I jumped on the bandwagon and have never jumped off), but I absolutely love the team the Blues have right now! As a new fan I can see how you have fell in love with the Blues. Seems they are in the other conference from my Islanders I am able to root for the Blues all but twice a year and seems I get free tickets to the Blues games I get to go to many of there home games. Don't fall into the Blues have never won a cup group, because that day will come and they will get one, but you can almost be guaranteed that the Blues will have a good product on the ice every year! Welcome

Chulahoma

Dec 9, 2014
Lancashire
I appreciate you all taking the time out to educate me. I'm aware that there's no substitute for being a lifelong fan and all that goes with it but I'm really excited to be a part of the blues from here!

PeterAngelo

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Hello everyone,

I'm from the north of England near Manchester and have always enjoyed watching hockey when the limited opportunities arose on TV over here (olympics) and regularly see my local team in action. I've recently been watching a hell of a lot of the NHL as loads of games are available on Premier Sports and it's blowing me away how amazing it is! Right from the start I just found myself favouring the St. Louis Blues. I knew nothing about them but every time I saw them I was rooting for them and now consider them my team which might sound a bit weird living so far away. Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself and ask if there's room for one more?

All the Best

Welcome to the club! As you have already noticed, there is just no sport like it! (blows cricket out of the water, speaking of which....nah I won't go there;)). Enjoy the ride :yo:

Chulahoma

Dec 9, 2014
Lancashire
Welcome to the club! As you have already noticed, there is just no sport like it! (blows cricket out of the water, speaking of which....nah I won't go there;)). Enjoy the ride :yo:

Thanks man! Actually my great grandad, Charlie Hallows, played cricket for Lancashire & England. He wasn't involved in the 'bodyline' series though!

PeterAngelo

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks man! Actually my great grandad, Charlie Hallows, played cricket for Lancashire & England. He wasn't involved in the 'bodyline' series though!

Just checked out your great grand dad's stats, 55 first class tons! Impressive stuff. Meanwhile, my great-grand daddy was probably a convict! The only way I can link cricket & hockey is to say this, you'll likely come to see Barrett Jackman as the hockey equivalent to Phil 'Oops' Tufnell :)

You have made a good choice though, it is no fun jumping aboard a perennial winner. Plus, you have picked a good team board. The vast majority of Blues fans on this board are just fantastically helpful and accommodating. Hope to see you in the game day threads (on those days when games are at a time that allows you to be on, and not sleeping, of course!)

One other thing, consider getting NHL Gamecentre if you have the money to spare, living a fair way away from the action I struggled to get enough of a Blues fix until purchasing NHL Gamecentre a couple of years ago. Being afforded the opportunity to see any of the 82 games is just unreal, and will just help you get absolutely infatuated with things, especially when the playoffs roll around (that is, assuming that the TV coverage over there is as poor as it is here...).

Chulahoma

Dec 9, 2014
Lancashire
Just checked out your great grand dad's stats, 55 first class tons! Impressive stuff. Meanwhile, my great-grand daddy was probably a convict! The only way I can link cricket & hockey is to say this, you'll likely come to see Barrett Jackman as the hockey equivalent to Phil 'Oops' Tufnell :)

You have made a good choice though, it is no fun jumping aboard a perennial winner. Plus, you have picked a good team board. The vast majority of Blues fans on this board are just fantastically helpful and accommodating. Hope to see you in the game day threads (on those days when games are at a time that allows you to be on, and not sleeping, of course!)

One other thing, consider getting NHL Gamecentre if you have the money to spare, living a fair way away from the action I struggled to get enough of a Blues fix until purchasing NHL Gamecentre a couple of years ago. Being afforded the opportunity to see any of the 82 games is just unreal, and will just help you get absolutely infatuated with things, especially when the playoffs roll around (that is, assuming that the TV coverage over there is as poor as it is here...).

Yeah 55 centuries and only picked twice for England because he was working class and from the north. He wasn't a gentleman you see, snort snort! Ouch, Phil Tufnell, that's got to be hard on Jackman. I will definitely check out NHL Gamecentre, thanks for that.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
Hello everyone,

All the Best

Welcome to perpetual disappointment!

If you're a reader, the St.Louis Post Blues beat writer JR just released a really good book for Blues fans and aspiring fans alike called "100 things a Blues fan should do before dying". Or something like that. I only made it to 93 and died, so there's that. My metaphysical Siri is typing for me.

You stumbled onto a great message board, almost everyone here is a diehard Blues fan and I think some actually understand the game better than those in charge. Others may proclaim it, but if their greatness has to be stated, they are full of it:sarcasm:

Honestly, don't dive too deep into the Blues past, it will just give you panic attacks, indigestion, depression, herpes and the most dreaded case of "what ifs" ever contracted by man. Just spare yourself the horror. Start in 06 when the Blues drafted 1st overall and selected Erik Johnson over Toews, Backstrom, Kessel.....well crap...... Start in 07, when the Blues traded the #9 pick who became Logan Couture for Lars Eller, now dammit it happened again... Start in 08 when Winnepeg took Bogosian over Petro because he had mono, also we drafted Jake Allen and Jori Lehtera that year!! We missed on McRae instead of Stephan, but I digress. 08 sounds like a good starting point for when this current iteration of the Blues really began to take shape. Then 2010 happened and we stole Schwartz from Ottawa, forcing them to trade us their pick that landed us Tarasenko and then 2014 when we got 2 top 10 talents in this past draft.

Yeah looking back on it, start your research in 08, because before that its a mind numbing tale of failure, ineptitude and Saskatchewan. Just take our word for it and save yourself the nightmares and receding hairline brought on by the Ralstons and Checketts and the New Freaking Jersey Devils.

BTW, in my Blues tinted conspiracy theory glasses, somehow us signing Marty will cost is Frank and Fabbri and they will go on to make a world wide renowned sandwich shop. Their slogan will be " At Frank and Fabbri's, it the best you never knew you had".

Yoko Ono*

Welcome to the Cubs Of Hockey a nice little team but will never win anything.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Welcome Chulahoma. You've become a Blues fan at the best time in history to do so. I hope we'll be able to enjoy The Blues win The Stanley Cup for the first time. I've been waiting roughly 47 years for that. If I have to wait much longer, I may not have the wits left to enjoy it. Already I have a lot of trouble even remember to which thread I am posting! :cry:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Welcome! I was born in Macclesfield, Cheshire, not far from you, although I have been in Canada since I was a toddler. My parents, like many immigrants in the 1960's, latched on to the game almost immediately and became die-hard hockey fans. ( Maple Leaf fans, I' m almost embarrassed to say! :)) I was enrolled in youth hockey, with my siblings, and embraced and played the game until I was a teenager. In high school, I thought Gary Unger was he coolest hockey player ever, and that the Blue's had the best logo ever. (Still do!) That, combined with rebellion against my Leaf fan family, made me a Blue's fan for life. Just a loyal person, I guess. Glad to have another Englishman on board! You will love this forum, the posters here are intelligent, informed, articulate and insightful. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Chulahoma

Dec 9, 2014
Lancashire
Welcome to perpetual disappointment!

If you're a reader, the St.Louis Post Blues beat writer JR just released a really good book for Blues fans and aspiring fans alike called "100 things a Blues fan should do before dying". Or something like that. I only made it to 93 and died, so there's that. My metaphysical Siri is typing for me.

You stumbled onto a great message board, almost everyone here is a diehard Blues fan and I think some actually understand the game better than those in charge. Others may proclaim it, but if their greatness has to be stated, they are full of it:sarcasm:

Honestly, don't dive too deep into the Blues past, it will just give you panic attacks, indigestion, depression, herpes and the most dreaded case of "what ifs" ever contracted by man. Just spare yourself the horror. Start in 06 when the Blues drafted 1st overall and selected Erik Johnson over Toews, Backstrom, Kessel.....well crap...... Start in 07, when the Blues traded the #9 pick who became Logan Couture for Lars Eller, now dammit it happened again... Start in 08 when Winnepeg took Bogosian over Petro because he had mono, also we drafted Jake Allen and Jori Lehtera that year!! We missed on McRae instead of Stephan, but I digress. 08 sounds like a good starting point for when this current iteration of the Blues really began to take shape. Then 2010 happened and we stole Schwartz from Ottawa, forcing them to trade us their pick that landed us Tarasenko and then 2014 when we got 2 top 10 talents in this past draft.

Yeah looking back on it, start your research in 08, because before that its a mind numbing tale of failure, ineptitude and Saskatchewan. Just take our word for it and save yourself the nightmares and receding hairline brought on by the Ralstons and Checketts and the New Freaking Jersey Devils.

BTW, in my Blues tinted conspiracy theory glasses, somehow us signing Marty will cost is Frank and Fabbri and they will go on to make a world wide renowned sandwich shop. Their slogan will be " At Frank and Fabbri's, it the best you never knew you had".

Oh God, what have I done?? Panic attacks, check, indigestion, check, depression, check, herpes, scratch! I'm off to the Pens board! Just kidding, love this post, still laughing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00