Speculation: New GM (Who would it be?)

GrimWings

#Greenforpresident
Jun 28, 2014
Right here
Obviously it's a bit hard to argue that at one point Ken Holland was a fantastic GM in the NHL. We've managed to make the payoffs for almost a quarter century, so we've got that going for us. But IMO I believe (and I know many of you agree) that we're not going to progress the way we want to with our current GM. That being said, if Illitch woke up and fired KH tomorrow, who would be the best replacement GM?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He deserves credit for drafting.

It would literally be hard to find someone who would do a worse job of managing the roster. Just don't sign awful players and bury better younger players, and you'll be an improvement.

Doesn't matter though, because they are working on extending him. So ask this question again in a few years.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Keep him on to help with scouting and the draft. He started as a scout and he obviously has an eye for young talent based on how well we've drafted. I don't see anyone disparaging his abilities there.

But for UFAs and trades and knowing when to bring those well drafted talents up, my god. I have no idea who some available GMs are. I know Ryan Martin is the Assistant GM. I know people think Fischer might be up for it in a little while. Find a way to convince Nill. :(

BamaWing

May 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Keep him on to help with scouting and the draft. He started as a scout and he obviously has an eye for young talent based on how well we've drafted. I don't see anyone disparaging his abilities there.

But for UFAs and trades and knowing when to bring those well drafted talents up, my god. I have no idea who some available GMs are. I know Ryan Martin is the Assistant GM. I know people think Fischer might be up for it in a little while. Find a way to convince Nill. :(
There's no way HOlland has the stones to swallow his pride and take that role. As much Id like for that to happen, it won't.

I'd love for Nill or Yzerman but right now I'm open to really any other way of thinking. Hell bring in Shero. It'd be nice having a Gm with some balls for a trade.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
There's no way HOlland has the stones to swallow his pride and take that role. As much Id like for that to happen, it won't.

I'd love for Nill or Yzerman but right now I'm open to really any other way of thinking. Hell bring in Shero. It'd be nice having a Gm with some balls for a trade.

None of this is going to happen. It's wishful thinking at best. Holland isn't going anywhere for at least 5 years unless he wants to.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Holland hasn't done anything "wrong" yet. He'd need to miss the playoffs for a long time before getting fired. We are more likely to see him choose to move upstairs than for our team to miss the playoffs for 5-10 years in a row, IMO.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Ryan Martin is the next GM after some years of overripening.

Hahaha.

I'd probably want someone outside the organization. I don't see Draper as an impressive hockey mind, especially considering what's gone on since he's been Special Assistant. Same goes for Martin, although I think he's got a solid mind for the business side of things but, again, the hockey moves have been terrible under his reign.

Honestly, Fischer is the one that seems to have taken his role and run with it. But by that same token, I wouldn't want him taken away from the development side of things because things have gone so well under his direction.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
-Holland will be GM for next 5-years at least, but after that....
-Kris Draper, most realistic choice in my opinion, already kenny's 2nd in command.
-Ryan Martin, well he's asst. GM now, but he seems little bit like Jay Feaster vol. 2to me.
-Chris Chelios, Mark Howe, Jiri Fischer, Glenn Merkosky, Bruce Haralson, Tyler Wright. They are most likely other opinions.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I would prefer someone young and outside of the organization.

I don't care about age, I just care about fresh eyes. Somebody who can say "It's just business" and mean it.

I'll throw a curve ball name out there: Joe Nieuwendyk. He's a smart guy. Was trained under Burke in Toronto. I remember there were rumors he was being targeted by Burke again in Calgary, not sure what came of it.

His tenure in Dallas was unremarkable, but it's important to remember the team was without an owner, facing bankruptcy, and he was essentially forced to operate the team to the cap floor. He did swing the brilliant move of getting Kari Lehtonen for a bust prospect and 4th round pick. But he also oversaw some questionable draft choices (Glennie).

He's most remembered for the Neal/Niskanen for Goligoski deal, but folks forget that was financially driven. Neal and Niskanen were going to seek raises the next year and the team couldn't afford them with their financial woes.

I'd be interested to see what he could do with an actual budget. He reminds me a lot of Steve Yzerman in temperament and thoughtfulness.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I don't care about age, I just care about fresh eyes. Somebody who can say "It's just business" and mean it.

Good point. If you stay too long it gets personal and it becomes hard to do the necessary things that are required of a competitive professional business. I mean, we just saw that with Cleary. No way he gets signed that without close personal feelings and ties.

Might also be why a lot of teams seem to do a lot better after a coaching change, even though they have the exact same roster. Even if that new coach was just fired from another team for underperforming.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
When's Dean Lombardi's contract up?

Other clubs poached the two heir apparents and they're not coming back, so, an outsider, preferably.

Draper and Fischer aren't guys I trust to make the tough decisions.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He deserves credit for drafting.

It would literally be hard to find someone who would do a worse job of managing the roster. Just don't sign awful players and bury better younger players, and you'll be an improvement.

Doesn't matter though, because they are working on extending him. So ask this question again in a few years.

Seriously??? Either you don't understand what that word means or I don't know what to tell you. Chris Traeger is very upset with your misuse of this.:shakehead

I get that we are very unhappy, heck I am very unhappy and couldn't imagine that ever happening with Holland. But currently their are worse GMs in the league when being objective. Holland is by far the most patient and to his detriment at this point in time. But look at some of the people being employed around the league.

This thread will be lacking in a realistic candidate that we should feel good about. I could see him eventually turning it over to a Dumars & Hammond situation of Martin and Fischer but neither guy is close enough and their just isn't a whole lot that interests me out there in terms of if Holland was fired who would we get. With teams putting in compensation we could outright buy somebody away but that is about all I am willing to listen to. Hextall is off the market, Nill and Yzerman are locked in and not coming back. We need Holland for a couple more years and then to move upstairs, hopefully like he has done often he can groom his successor well, developing talent is one of his largest strengths, maybe sometime soon we will have another option today we don't have a better one, we need him to improve his aggressiveness.

Really given his job status we either need someone with a lot of sway with him or something to change. He isn't likely going anywhere unless he wants to and even then look around the market it is unlikely if not out right impossible we get an upgrade. I get the fresh set of eyes argument, but I seriously doubt much of what he does falls outside of the scope of the Ilitch's purview who run both their sports organizations in this manner.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I'll throw a curve ball name out there: Joe Nieuwendyk. He's a smart guy. Was trained under Burke in Toronto. I remember there were rumors he was being targeted by Burke again in Calgary, not sure what came of it.

His tenure in Dallas was unremarkable, but it's important to remember the team was without an owner, facing bankruptcy, and he was essentially forced to operate the team to the cap floor. He did swing the brilliant move of getting Kari Lehtonen for a bust prospect and 4th round pick. But he also oversaw some questionable draft choices (Glennie).

He's most remembered for the Neal/Niskanen for Goligoski deal, but folks forget that was financially driven. Neal and Niskanen were going to seek raises the next year and the team couldn't afford them with their financial woes.

I'd be interested to see what he could do with an actual budget. He reminds me a lot of Steve Yzerman in temperament and thoughtfulness.

This might be the worst idea I can ever remember you having around here Bench. I mean no offense, but I hate the idea of GMJN. That is not an upgrade, you can call that hyperbole but I would rather Steve Moore be our GM from a dark room watching no hockey.

I guess it is time to throw out offer Hakan a lot of money to cross the pond, he does executive level things in Sweden so he is not totally untrained. Holland would likely be upstairs, I doubt he is that interested in all honesty. I see this team being handed of to Martin and Fischer but we are a ways off, mostly because Holland hasn't even approached the level of failure to call his job into question. I understand the unhappiness, I really do, but he isn't even near danger. Look at the mess of things Lou has made in New Jersey lately and he isn't even approaching the hot seat that is a realistic comparable in terms of the business reputation and standing with their organization.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This might be the worst idea I can ever remember you having around here Bench. I mean no offense, but I hate the idea of GMJN. That is not an upgrade, you can call that hyperbole but I would rather Steve Moore be our GM from a dark room watching no hockey.

I'm not even huge on it myself, mainly due to his drafting, I was more trying to throw a name of a guy who might fit in with the Wings culture and carry a positive reputation.

MrTaterSalad

May 29, 2011
I'd be keeping a close watch on Jarmo Kekalainen in Columbus as a candidate for GM. If Columbus starts consistently winning, which I believe they're close to doing in the Eastern Conference, I'd look to snag him from the Blue Jackets organization. Other names I'd be looking at include Paul Fenton, whose David Polie's right-hand man in Nashville, and Ron Hextall whose been in both the Kings and Flyers front office staffs. Heck, I'd even place a call to Polie himself to see if he was interested in coming here.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I agree with those calling for someone outside the organisation. Too many jobs for the boys atm. Just because you played for the Wings for 15 years or whatever doesn't mean you'll be a great coach/scout/GM. In fact, history shows its more likely to be the opposite - the best ones tend to be those who never made it as a pro (Holland, Babcock :sarcasm: )or whose careers were cut short by injury (Fisher).

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

nill for GMJN would be the worst trade ever.

it's not just the goligoski trade, he made a lot of other questionable moves.

and not just taking glennie (wasn't there story that they hadn't even interviewed him or something?) but passing on kulikov bc he was russian.

i know i've read other bad stuff but can't recall it now. it's all on stars board. dallas wouldn't be even near where they are now if they still had him.

he can take dallas as learning lesson for sure and can improve a ton but... he shouldn't be even close to a top options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad