Speculation: New GM if We Change Direction

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Dubas IMHO assembled a fantastic team and addressed all the "issues" and deficiencies from last year. This was one of the best Leafs teams I have ever seen, I would go as far as to say the D was as good as the Rouse/Macoun/Ellet/Gill/Lefebvre days. That aside, if Dubas did a great job assembling the team, who is responsible for not executing? Coach/players or both?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Most GM's get 2 bullets to use to keep/save their jobs:

1. Fire the Coach

2. Trade an impact roster player

Dubas has used the coach chip and he has yet to use the trade avenue. The problem is, you're going to have to show enough to Shanahan and ownership that you should be the one to pull the trigger on making the trade. His conviction that having talent will win you games hasn't worked in the post-season, so he has to have the stones to admit that he was wrong and alter some of the direction.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't see this disgrace as Dubas fault.

Other than 1 horrific contract he has done okay.

No one believed their downfall was a pathetic performance from the first line. The first line didn't even have to be good, it could have been average and they could have won.

We see a great deal of talent but getting by on talent alone seems to be where some are stuck, maybe a wake up call via trade is the only way to shake their complacency.

Aus34Matt

Dec 10, 2017
Most GM's get 2 bullets to use to keep/save their jobs:

1. Fire the Coach

2. Trade an impact roster player

Dubas has used the coach chip and he has yet to use the trade avenue. The problem is, you're going to have to show enough to Shanahan and ownership that you should be the one to pull the trigger on making the trade. His conviction that having talent will win you games hasn't worked in the post-season, so he has to have the stones to admit that he was wrong and alter some of the direction.
He'd already tried for this playoff push and blew it. The 1st rounder could turn out as bust but for an injured Foligno?

That's one ugly trade.. he really sucks as a GM guys.

Reactions: rumman

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Dubas IMHO assembled a fantastic team and addressed all the "issues" and deficiencies from last year. This was one of the best Leafs teams I have ever seen, I would go as far as to say the D was as good as the Rouse/Macoun/Ellet/Gill/Lefebvre days. That aside, if Dubas did a great job assembling the team, who is responsible for not executing? Coach/players or both?

I suppose it was a combination of the players Dubas assembled and the coach Dubas chose.

But I'm just spit ballin'

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
He'd already tried for this playoff push and blew it. The 1st rounder could turn out as bust but for an injured Foligno?

That's one ugly trade.. he really sucks as a GM guys.

How can you predict an injury? And I wouldn't consider Foligno an impact roster player. It was more directed to the core players.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
We can't afford talented grit, we can only afford league minimum grit.

There's maybe 15-20 top-6 level legitimately gritty players in the league. If you're not getting a Tkachuk/Wilson level guy, there really isn't much difference among the 3 mil and 1.5 mil bottom 6 grit guys. Problem is Tkachuk/Wilson types don't hit UFA or get traded very often. The ones that do hit UFA are almost exclusively Clarkson/Clowe level albatrosses that warrant a GM firing on their own.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
What is he supposed to do?
Be more accountable ? What has he accomplished? 17 years, now going to 18 years of zero success in the playoffs, he has been around for how many? 7-8 years? Multiple GM's, multiple coaches......seems at some point he will or should be called out too?
He obviously is choosing the wrong people?
He was brought in to oversee a total rebuild, it's now way beyond that.......I would think the fans will want answers? Why not ask the guy at the top?
My experience has always been , when an organization does not succeed, you don't start at the bottom, you go to the top....

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don’t trust this core and I don’t trust Dubas.

Said it last year.
If you want trust, you got to give a little to earn it. 5 tries without winning a playoff round just solidifies my first statement.
Please don’t say we are young and learning anymore. Not when guys like Aho, Rantanen, Point, Barzal, etc are just contributing.

The core isn’t built for the playoffs.
All we can do is ride out the wave until there is nothing left but change. They are getting close.
Back to the division with Boston/Tampa.
6th kick at the can coming up.
3 years removed from Matthews/Nylander UFA.
The dam will break at some point.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I don't see this disgrace as Dubas fault.

Other than 1 horrific contract he has done okay.

No one believed their downfall was a pathetic performance from the first line. The first line didn't even have to be good, it could have been average and they could have won.

We see a great deal of talent but getting by on talent alone seems to be where some are stuck, maybe a wake up call via trade is the only way to shake their complacency.
You see keefe malhotra(the great pp coach) and hakstol should be gone sire?
Dubas should fire them now no?

Reactions: geo25

Aus34Matt

Dec 10, 2017
Okay, so then what would you have done at the deadline?
Sam Bennet from CGY comes to mind, which reminds me we traded for David Rittich and I don't even know what the heck for if we weren't using him. Again there were other options and that's why they get paid the big bucks and not us armchair GMs.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
I want him gone but he’ll be here next season and no changes will be made really and probably same result.

Reactions: rumman

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Players.

Reactions: Ciao

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Sam Bennet from CGY comes to mind, which reminds me we traded for David Rittich and I don't even know what the heck for if we weren't using him. Again there were other options and that's why they get paid the big bucks and not us armchair GMs.

A lot of the tdl trades- especially the Rittch one I think we're done with a longer run in mind. They weren't sure they could trust Andersen's health and the only other nhk goalie in the system was Hutch.

Now the team flamed out in the first round, so criticism becomes fairly earned in the trade. But imo there was at least a reasonable logic to it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad