Speculation: New GM Candidates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Thanks for throwing that list together, Sabretip. Botterill is obviously the youngest on that list by a good number of years, but looking at the candidates side by side, I think i am a little less impressed with Botterill. Benning may be my first choice. Logic says, the more experience the better chance a person has at success, right?

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
McKenzie has also said that people have told him that Pegula is also a very hands off "shut up and take my money" type of owner and doesn't have any of the say in what the team does in regards to acquiring players contrary to what a lot of posters around here want to think.

Well, let's be fair: there have been ample reports/videos from the day Pegula took over of him being present in the "war room" on Trade Deadline day; attending each NHL draft; and of making the trips to recruit both Regehr and Richards. After the Ehrhoff/Leino signings, he spoke about each with some foresight of his own that clearly wasn't just a second-hand translation of what the Sabres management told him. And we heard Black and Regier repeatedly say in interviews that Pegula spoke with each person at least once a day, if not more.

So, while he may not be the interfering type of owner a la Jerry Jones or Mark Cuban, I don't think Pegula is as "hands-off" as you portray. Remember, he admitted himself that he views himself more as a fan than an owner.

And we all know how fans love to speculate/weigh in on players and rosters! ;)

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I read the blurbs about Battista previously but didn't realize he's probably helping Pat in the GM recruiting/interviewing. It begs the question, with a coaching background and an apparent influence on a GM selection, if Battista might be considered a coaching candidate...?
Yeah, I had no idea he was going to be consulted either. That said, my point in posting the hire thread was to highlight a very subtle move that could be somewhat significant for the organization considering WHO was hired, though where he was placed initially seemed tame enough. So this little tidbit from McKenzie doesn't shock me. Was his hire and placement at East Resources a ruse? Did LaFontaine just meet him one day and come away impressed? I don't know, but credit to LaFontaine all the same. He's already made one strong decision in my eyes.

Coaching candidate? Stranger things have happened (*cough* Rolston *cough*), but I'd say a pretty definitive no.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
So what is the deal with Assistant GM's and even more so Dir of Amt. Scouting ..or Player Personnel ... Do these people sign contracts? .. I'm assuming AGM's do... but.. I'd like Pegula to use his bucks to get the best minds in regards to Directors of amateur scouting and Pro scouting to assemble an all star team. I know they hired that pro scout from Edmonton but I haven't heard too many good things about him.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
So what is the deal with Assistant GM's and even more so Dir of Amt. Scouting ..or Player Personnel ... Do these people sign contracts? .. I'm assuming AGM's do... but.. I'd like Pegula to use his bucks to get the best minds in regards to Directors of amateur scouting and Pro scouting to assemble an all star team. I know they hired that pro scout from Edmonton but I haven't heard too many good things about him.

AGMs usually have hands in contracts and usually run day to day operations of AHL teams.

Obviously the scouting guysn spend much more time out in the field

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
AGMs usually have hands in contracts and usually run day to day operations of AHL teams.

Obviously the scouting guysn spend much more time out in the field

Nooooo

I mean Does the organization sign their AGM's to binding contracts as well as their Directors of Am Scouting and Dir of Player Personnel??

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Nooooo

I mean Does the organization sign their AGM's to binding contracts as well as their Directors of Am Scouting and Dir of Player Personnel??

If they didn't have some kind of contract or NDA, there wouldn't be a need to ask the organization the person is with for permission to talk to the them. They're probably not as binding as something like a player contract, but I'm sure they all sign something.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Hickey was a bust who never played a game for them nor got anything in return and... I admit that I completely forgot about Schenn so I blew that. Regardless, the point I meant was that teams can become competitive without a high volume of Top 5 picks contributing to the organization, as you pointed out.

the Schenn pick matters big time.

Doesnt matter if they were busts it not...they had 3 top 5 picks. You have a top 5 pick if you think he may be a bust you can move him early enough and get something for him . Being higher in the 1st round means higher in the 2nd round, and 3rd round, etc.

2009 # 5 Schenn (him and Simmonds traded for Richards)
2008 #2 Doughty (Voynov--high 2nd)
2007 #4 Hickey (he is with the Isles now) (Simmonds-2nd)
2006 #11, #17 Bernier Trevor Lewis
2005 #11 Kopitar (Quick- high 3rd round)
2004 #11 bust
2003 #13---Dustin Brown

During this time Buffalo drafted ahead of them only once--in 2003 (vanek)

what we have seen with Pittsburgh, chicago, Washington and Los angles is if you have at least 2 top 5 picks usually means you will contend for the cup.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

Doesnt matter if they were busts it not...they had 3 top 5 picks. You have a top 5 pick if you think he may be a bust you can move him early enough and get something for him . Being higher in the 1st round means higher in the 2nd round, and 3rd round, etc.

2004 #11 bust
2003 #13---Dustin Brown

what we have seen with Pittsburgh, chicago, Washington and Los angles is if you have at least 2 top 5 picks usually means you will contend for the cup.

The Isles, Panthers, Thrashers/Jets, etc. beg to disagree.

It's not enough to have high draft picks. You have to build a team around them. Those teams had excellent GMs that knew how to get the right pieces in the right places.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Futa didn't become co-director with the Kings till June of 2007. In fact, it was Mark Yannetti, the other co-director that was the one to announce the selection of Hickey.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Well, let's be fair: there have been ample reports/videos from the day Pegula took over of him being present in the "war room" on Trade Deadline day; attending each NHL draft; and of making the trips to recruit both Regehr and Richards. After the Ehrhoff/Leino signings, he spoke about each with some foresight of his own that clearly wasn't just a second-hand translation of what the Sabres management told him. And we heard Black and Regier repeatedly say in interviews that Pegula spoke with each person at least once a day, if not more.

So, while he may not be the interfering type of owner a la Jerry Jones or Mark Cuban, I don't think Pegula is as "hands-off" as you portray. Remember, he admitted himself that he views himself more as a fan than an owner.

And we all know how fans love to speculate/weigh in on players and rosters! ;)

I agree with everything you said. Pegula also stated that he talked to Darcy more than he talked to his wife.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Granted, it may only be Garrioch's personal impression but I do recall Dreger and McKenzie alluding to a similar perception that potential GMs will be eager to work in a situation where the Owner doesn't place any financial constraints...and, as TP said himself, doesn't threaten job security if a few mistakes are made.

As others have stated, potential GM's would be eager to work for any NHL team as GM (unless your name is Rick Dudley). There are only 30 NHL General Managers and positions are open very rarely.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
As others have stated, potential GM's would be eager to work for any NHL team as GM (unless your name is Rick Dudley). There are only 30 NHL General Managers and positions are open very rarely.

Yeah, I'd agree with any GM job being appetizing, though you can't dispute that some may be much less appetizing than others.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Does the firing of Feaster in Calgary and Burke's search increase the timetable for the new hire?

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV

2004 #11 bust
2003 #13---Dustin Brown

You don't actually believe the bolded, do you?

The Isles, Panthers, Thrashers/Jets, etc. beg to disagree.

It's not enough to have high draft picks. You have to build a team around them. Those teams had excellent GMs that knew how to get the right pieces in the right places.

This I agree with. I don't believe in the idea that there should be some template to follow, a Pens Model, a Kings Model or whatever, there are counter examples to every option. I completely support tearing this team apart in an attempt to add high value picks as long as they are sifting through their current assets for contributors and pieces to move. I want some future fanbase to be want to follow the Buffalo Model.

I also believe that timing and luck are too much of a factor to be controlled for. The thread discussion whether or not the Isles will keep or defer the '14 1st rounder is a perfect example. The Sabres have absolutely no control over that decision and there is a possibility that it may end up being the most valuable asset in the entire rebuild.

In the end, the Kings got great value from a #2 pick, zero contribution from a #4 and had to package a #5 with another solid prospect and a 2nd round pick to get an impact Top 6 piece. The rest of the draft position is eerily similar to Buffalo's the past 6 years.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Does the firing of Feaster in Calgary and Burke's search increase the timetable for the new hire?

Josh Rimer ‏@joshrimerhockey

Hearing Buffalo Sabres are speeding up process to hire their GM after what happened today with Flames change.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
I believe the response I have here is "**** NO!!" to Bowman as GM. I went through his terrible, egotistical GM phase that took them from Cup contender to worst team in the league in 7 years. No. I say again. NO.

Exactly correct!

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
If anything, it would shorten it so PLF won't lose his guy to Burke and the Flames.

One would think. With one GM opening available, the Sabres could afford to take their time. With two, now there's obviously competition (though we don't know if Burke will be dipping into the same pool of candidates).

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
One would think. With one GM opening available, the Sabres could afford to take their time. With two, now there's obviously competition (though we don't know if Burke will be dipping into the same pool of candidates).

FWIW:

@JoshRimerHockey

Hearing Buffalo Sabres are speeding up process to hire their GM after what happened today with Flames Change.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Josh Rimer ‏@joshrimerhockey

Hearing Buffalo Sabres are speeding up process to hire their GM after what happened today with Flames change.

Burke just said several times that (paraphrasing): There is another team doing a GM search (Buffalo), that is the reason we did this now and time is of the essence, especially if there is overlap in the GM searches, and I'll know later today if there is overlap. He also stated that he has already gotten permission to speak to one candidate and is seeking additional permissions.

Time for Patty to make a move.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Burke just said several times that (paraphrasing): There is another team doing a GM search (Buffalo), that is the reason we did this now and time is of the essence, especially if there is overlap in the GM searches, and I'll know later today if there is overlap. He also stated that he has already gotten permission to speak to one candidate and is seeking additional permissions.

Time for Patty to make a move.

Thanks for the info. Get it moving PLF!

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
@DarrenDreger

Burke is expected to act as interim GM until new guy is hired. Poulin, Loiselle, Futa, Benning, Treliving all have cred as candidates...

Nieuwendyk also mentioned

All guys who the Sabres have had interest in are bolded.

I imagine Poulin, Loiselle (Leaf connection) and Nieuwendyk are front runners for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad