NFL: New England's Biggest Threat

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
The Pats are 1-5 in the last 6 at Miami, I'll never understand it. Then again, the Pats are 5-1 in their last 6 at Pittsburgh so I'll take that trade off.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
And Reid is a choker also
Reid is the only coach that has consistently proven can beat Brady and BB. At least since coming to KC.

He's 2-2 against them since arriving in KC despite only have 1 of those games at home. The two wins were absolute clownings, and the 2 losses were by a combined 10 points, both in Foxboro.

Pats are 3-4 so far on the road. Which incidentally is Brady's career road record in the playoffs. Brady also hasn't won a road playoff game since 2006.

I won't lock in the Chiefs as a sure thing or anything, but they're easily the team New England needs to fear the most.

Last edited:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Reid is the only coach that has consistently proven can beat Brady and BB. At least since coming to KC.

He's 2-2 against them since arriving in KC despite only have 1 of those games at home. The two wins were absolute clownings, and the 2 losses were by a combined 10 points, both in Foxboro.

Pats are 3-4 so far on the road. Which incidentally is Brady's career road record in the playoffs. Brady also hasn't won a road playoff game since 2006.

I won't lock in the Chiefs as a sure thing or anything, but they're easily the team New England needs to fear the most.

Never in a meaningful game though

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
If the Washington Capitals can win the Stanley Cup, why can't Andy Reid finally win the big one?

At some point, the Brady/Belichick mystique can only cover up so many cracks in the armor.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Patriots are beck in the driver’s seat for home field advantage
No they aren't.

Patriots need to win out first and foremost. Assuming they do this, here are some scenarios.

Texans lose 1 of final 3 games:
If KC and LAC both go 1-1, Patriots seeding depends on who each team lost to.

If LA and KC both lose in same week, Patriots get 1, Chiefs 2, Chargers Wild Card.

If LA loses to Baltimore, but KC loses to Oakland, Chargers are 1 seed, Patriots 2, KC Wild Card.

If LA loses to Denver, but KC loses to Seattle, Patriots are 1 seed, KC 2, Chargers wild card.

If Chargers go 1-1 but KC goes 0-2, LA is 1 seed, Patriots 2, KC wild card.

There is also a scenario where Patriots/Houston can knock KC to the 3rd seed.

NE & Houston go 3-0, Chiefs/Chargers for 1-1
Patriots & Houston win out, KC loses to Raiders, and Chargers lose to Denver.

And one final crazy scenario has Patriots as the 3 even if they win out.

Pats and Houston both win out, Chargers lose to Baltimore, and KC loses to Oakland. Houston would end up as the #1, Chargers 2, NE 3, and KC as the wild card.

Long story short, Patriots certainly are not back in the drivers seat. Though if LA wins the west and get #1, I'd feel a hell of a lot more comfortable going on the road in the AFCCG out there, than at Arrowhead, that's for sure.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
No they aren't.

Patriots need to win out first and foremost. Assuming they do this, here are some scenarios.

If LA and KC both lose in same week, Patriots get 1, Chiefs 2, Chargers Wild Card.

If LA loses to Baltimore, but KC loses to Oakland, Chargers are 1 seed, Patriots 2, KC Wild Card.

If LA loses to Denver, but KC loses to Seattle, Patriots are 1 seed, KC 2, Chargers wild card.

Pats and Houston both win out, Chargers lose to Baltimore, and KC loses to Oakland. Houston would end up as the #1, Chargers 2, NE 3, and KC as the wild card.

Long story short, Patriots certainly are not back in the drivers seat. Though if LA wins the west and get #1, I'd feel a hell of a lot more comfortable going on the road in the AFCCG out there, than at Arrowhead, that's for sure.

EDIT: Ignore my original response, for 3 team tiebreaker head-to-head only applies if one team beat both other teams...

Last edited:

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
No they aren't.

Long story short.

If NE wins out, KC loses at Seattle, Chargers lose to Ravens (all which are plausible), it doesn’t matter what HOU does

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Think you’re wrong with this one.

If Pats and Texans both win out then obviously they are both division winners at 12-4 which the Pats have the first tiebreaker of head-to-head. Texans can’t win #1 without the Pats losing a game.
Texans absolutely can get #1 without Pats losing. I just did my math wrong on the Chiefs.

Here is the actual scenario:

Pats and Houston win out, they are 12-4.

Chargers got 1-1, and Chiefs go 0-2.

Chiefs drop to wild card at 11-5.

Pats, Houston, Chargers are in a 3 way tie for 1st seed.

Patriots beat Houston, but because LAC didn't play Houston, that tiebreaker goes away.

Houston gets 1st seed over LA due to strength of victory tiebreaker, and over NE due to win percentage against common opponents. LA gets second seed due to winning percentage in common games.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I think the Chiefs will lose in Seattle and the Chargers win out. The AfC playoffs will go through stubhub center!

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Every single good team has questions marks, much more so than usual. "Wide open" truly defines the NFL this year IMO.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Themselves

Pretty much this, especially after the Gordon news. It’s still right there for them to get home field throughout with a little help (Texans lose this week, Chargers or Chiefs beat the other on the road).

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Every single good team has questions marks, much more so than usual. "Wide open" truly defines the NFL this year IMO.

Not many question marks with regard to Saints IMO especially playing at dome in playoffs

In AFC we are I believe starting to finally see decline of Pats/Steelers and emergence of rising teams with "Young QB's"

Of course come playoff time Pit and NE might do what they always do and end up facing each other in AFC Title game again proving demise to be premature

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Pretty much this, especially after the Gordon news. It’s still right there for them to get home field throughout with a little help (Texans lose this week, Chargers or Chiefs beat the other on the road).

You do realize for them to get home field throughout the playoffs that both KC and LAC would have to lose both their remaining games, right? That's just not going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad