New draft lottery formula?

hkydave04

Mar 8, 2016
Why do I have a bad feeling the Wings will get screwed? To me, and not just because i'm a Wings fan, the best 2 ways are, continue as is according to standings and still do the lottery or just draft as is whatever your position is in the standings currently because I think the season is done!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Someone care to elaborate on if there are any actual scenarios posted in the article or is it just scare mongering for us? The league played roughly 7/8 of the season. It's pretty clear who the bad teams were and the vast majority of the clubs that weren't going to make the playoffs. Screwing with the draft in any significant way because teams played 70 instead of 80 games is just asinine.

hkydave04

Mar 8, 2016
We sucked for 90% of the season and to lose it for some stupid battle of the shit teams is bush league! We were historically bad and deserve the 1st pick.

hkydave04

Mar 8, 2016
Someone care to elaborate on if there are any actual scenarios posted in the article or is it just scare mongering for us? The league played roughly 7/8 of the season. It's pretty clear who the bad teams were and the vast majority of the clubs that weren't going to make the playoffs. Screwing with the draft in any significant way because teams played 70 instead of 80 games is just asinine.

100% AGREE

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
One of the suggestions out there is to reduce the playoffs to the top four teams in each conference.

If there is a reduced format, I could see the NHL having all non-playoff teams entered in the draft lottery. Hopefully, they would not change the odds of the worst 4 or 5 teams.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Cant read this, it is behind a paywall. Is there a summary?

The worst from the Wings perspective is a proposed tournament for the non-playoff teams wherein the grand prize is the first overall pick. The suggestion from the authors is that the odds of winning the tournament would somehow be made to mirror the current odds of winning the lottery.

As someone else said earlier, we have already played 7/8s of the season and already know who the bad teams are.

Reactions: Winger98

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Leave the draft lottery as it was. Whatever the standings said at game 70... that's the standings. Why the hell are they proposing dicking around with it now?

Change them for 2020-2021 which hasn't played yet? Doing it this way will find a way to f*** Detroit and other bad teams.

If you do a loser tournament where the most mediocre team (team on border of playoff contention) wins 1OA and gets Lafreniere and the Wings predictably get jackhammered back to around 10 because they'd lose very early on in this loser tournament... I'm done with the NHL.

I want hockey back, but there is no reason to re-design the whole system.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
The worst from the Wings perspective is a proposed tournament for the non-playoff teams wherein the grand prize is the first overall pick. The suggestion from the authors is that the odds of winning the tournament would somehow be made to mirror the current odds of winning the lottery.

As someone else said earlier, we have already played 7/8s of the season and already know who the bad teams are.

So the Wings would get a bye to the "conference championship" or something?

This is a dumb idea and whoever thought it up should feel bad. Play a loser tournament, but have it be an exhibition if you want more hockey. Do not put things that will affect the long term in the balance.

Reactions: jkutswings

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
One of the suggestions out there is to reduce the playoffs to the top four teams in each conference.

If there is a reduced format, I could see the NHL having all non-playoff teams entered in the draft lottery. Hopefully, they would not change the odds of the worst 4 or 5 teams.

I don't understand that, either. If anything, they should expand the playoffs on each side to accommodate the team or two in each conference who could have realistically pushed their way in over the last ten games.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
We sucked for 90% of the season and to lose it for some stupid battle of the shit teams is bush league! We were historically bad and deserve the 1st pick.
I’d like the 1st pick but saying we deserve a reward for sucking so hard is a weird mentality. Maybe I’m just not used to it yet.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I’d like the 1st pick but saying we deserve a reward for sucking so hard is a weird mentality. Maybe I’m just not used to it yet.

Detroit did everything possible to stay competative as long as possible. Our current state is a direct byproduct of chasing that white whale to the end of the earth. Isn't this what the "don't award failure" people want organizations to do?

Reactions: ealong59

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not going to get worked up about this, I doubt it happens. They are probably just grasping to write articles given the situation, and are writing anything remotely interesting they hear right now.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
So the Wings would get a bye to the "conference championship" or something?

This is a dumb idea and whoever thought it up should feel bad. Play a loser tournament, but have it be an exhibition if you want more hockey. Do not put things that will affect the long term in the balance.

Like I said, stupid cash grab.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Information is behind a paywall I am good as long as we still get our top 4 pick. If something different happens whatever this is the price the organization pays for not rebuilding when it would have had better outcomes in the lottery.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Information is behind a paywall I am good as long as we still get our top 4 pick. If something different happens whatever this is the price the organization pays for not rebuilding when it would have had better outcomes in the lottery.

No. Absolutely not. Price they pay? No, it would be incredibly ridiculous. Do not put this evil on the Wings. This isn't "hey, we made a bad call on a pick". This is "the NHL wants to do something incredibly stupid that we couldn't possibly have planned for". To be honest, it's a little bit like the original salary cap and the lockout in 2012. You'd be asking the Wings to divine the future.

Reactions: hkydave04

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
No. Absolutely not. Price they pay? No, it would be incredibly ridiculous. Do not put this evil on the Wings. This isn't "hey, we made a bad call on a pick". This is "the NHL wants to do something incredibly stupid that we couldn't possibly have planned for". To be honest, it's a little bit like the original salary cap and the lockout in 2012. You'd be asking the Wings to divine the future.

What are they proposing I couldn't read the article?

Wings extending the streak put expansions getting thrown into the lottery and we were also out of the McDavid draft. I would say our bubble first round exits had a cost many are still in denial over. The urgency of need in this lottery is just another example.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What are they proposing I couldn't read the article?

Wings extending the streak put expansions getting thrown into the lottery and we were also out of the McDavid draft. I would say our bubble first round exits had a cost many are still in denial over. The urgency of need in this lottery is just another example.

Read a few posts up. Someone floated the idea of some sort of tournament for the crappy teams to compete in to determine draft pick.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Read a few posts up. Someone floated the idea of some sort of tournament for the crappy teams to compete in to determine draft pick.

This is the kind of idea we'd kick around for our fantasy league. Keyword: fantasy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad