New Coyotes marketing plan for 2016-2017

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Who exactly is better qualified to judge the marketing effectiveness than the target audience? Lol I'm sorry that "paid IA advocate" isn't on everyone else's resume, Jake :laugh:

Technically speaking, we are not the target audience. The target audience would be the fringe fans who are only kind of hockey fans. Trying to convince them to be bigger fans. I don't think that the Coyotes are worried about any of us here because we're the hooked ones :laugh:

But I mean it is kind of dumb to say no tag lines then give us the Coyotes 2.0 tag line. It's a decent concept though

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Half-true probably. It's a clumsy sort of "anti-marketing". Some people are going to like it, and some aren't. I think they're after the casual fan and the jilted ex season ticket holders with the apology because I'm sure the number is down despite all the "looking pretty good, all things considered" talk.
The tagline and slogan after saying they aren't going to do that is sort of funny. 2.0 as a play on 20 is sort of clever. I just think it's clumsy.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

The whole loading thing is cheesy and just another tagline.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
I like it. It's bold. I got all sorts of Don Draper vibes. I like the gist of the letter even though the execution turned out heavy-handed.

Hopefully the team will be as hard-working as the letter claims they are. We did seem to cast off the dead weight that everybody on Forum 40 loathed. If not Coyotes 2.0 will be mocked every GDT.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
lol'd hard AF that they apologized for every idiotic marketing tagline they've ever had (which is pretty much every single one), but I think this whole apology thing is, ironically, bad marketing, in and of it's self, since literally nobody other than weirdos on this board (us), are going to care about, let alone even remember obscure marketing slogans from 5 years ago.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
lol'd hard AF that they apologized for every idiotic marketing tagline they've ever had (which is pretty much every single one), but I think this whole apology thing is, ironically, bad marketing, in and of it's self, since literally nobody other than weirdos on this board (us), are going to care about, let alone even remember obscure marketing slogans from 5 years ago.

I actually have all my season ticket holder pins arranged vertically in order on the autographed Gretzky sweater they gave all of us back in '06, and it's like a hilarious totem pole of marketing desperation. :laugh:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Technically speaking, we are not the target audience. The target audience would be the fringe fans who are only kind of hockey fans. Trying to convince them to be bigger fans. I don't think that the Coyotes are worried about any of us here because we're the hooked ones :laugh:

But I mean it is kind of dumb to say no tag lines then give us the Coyotes 2.0 tag line. It's a decent concept though

Half-true probably. It's a clumsy sort of "anti-marketing". Some people are going to like it, and some aren't. I think they're after the casual fan and the jilted ex season ticket holders with the apology because I'm sure the number is down despite all the "looking pretty good, all things considered" talk.
The tagline and slogan after saying they aren't going to do that is sort of funny. 2.0 as a play on 20 is sort of clever. I just think it's clumsy.

Yeah, they'll most likely have me back in a few years, if/when I move back to the Valley. I'm not their target audience either.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I've slightly come around in the sense that I remembered how awful "be Coyotes cool" was so the apology is at least noted :snide:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I've slightly come around in the sense that I remembered how awful "be Coyotes cool" was so the apology is at least noted :snide:
Yeah that one was pure cringe. I didn't mind any of the other ones and I actually liked hockey the hard way but man, be Coyotes cool was pure awkwardness.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
I'll forgive them for pretending that the new tag line isn't a tag line because I really appreciate the acknowledgement that the other tag lines were so awful.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
They should put something that reflects the current team, respects the fans intelligence and makes people want to know more. Maybe some stats or facts about a player with a photo of a player, constantly updated on those electronic billboards. More news, less BS. Put that Smith is third in the league in save percentage, or OEL is leading the league in assists, etc. Remeber when Doan had more goals than a bunch of other big name stars? Put that on a billboard.

Treat everyone like fans, rather than consumers.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
They should put something that reflects the current team, respects the fans intelligence and makes people want to know more. Maybe some stats or facts about a player with a photo of a player, constantly updated on those electronic billboards. More news, less BS. Put that Smith is third in the league in save percentage, or OEL is leading the league in assists, etc. Remeber when Doan had more goals than a bunch of other big name stars? Put that on a billboard.

Treat everyone like fans, rather than consumers.

That's a really solid suggestion, actually. "They must be good if Doan has more goals than Jagr and Kessel!" ;) You would probably get a few people that way.
But marketing the fact that there are good players even if the team is not competitive is definitely a good idea. Trying to get some buzz about Max Domi's rookie season, especially early when he looked like a Calder favourite would have been good, for example. Not just for last year, but building a new image.
Less "Be Coyote Cool", "Join the pack" and more "Hey, we have some likeable young talent. It's not ALL Chipchura and Moss. Give it a shot"

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Im not sure there is any marketing going on.
They lost the original olympic marketeer around the May timeframe and this new guy just came on around September 12th.
This is the first year that Coyote news on 98.7 from 6am's Doug and Wolf to Burns and Gambo when I stop listening at 3 or 4 that Coyote interviews are near nonexistent.
Total radio silence except a mention of "the letter" on Doug and Wolf this morning...and the Reider resign twice or three times.
Leblanc used to come on, the GM used to come on, Craig would come on every once in awhile.
Nothing.
Never an advertisement in the AZ Republic for tickets and Sarahs articles are always on the back page just above the classifieds advertising yard sales in the north valley.
I sure hope they have a plan.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I suspect that the Coyotes are waiting to announce arena plans. They can then roll out a marketing campaign based upon the move to the East Valley. They can't really roll out a campaign before the new arena is announced.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I actually have all my season ticket holder pins arranged vertically in order on the autographed Gretzky sweater they gave all of us back in '06, and it's like a hilarious totem pole of marketing desperation. :laugh:

lmao, that's great. You should def post a pic of that, so we can all laugh at it. :laugh:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
"Come see the Coyotes play because where the only team in AZ that has a shot at getting into the playoffs." That should be the message the franchise should be sending to the state right now to get more butts into the seats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad