New Coyotes marketing plan for 2016-2017

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

A couple of somewhat cynical notes:

• They say "no taglines" and then immediately introduce the COYOTES 2.0 tagline.
  • "No promises" is not the most positive thing to put in your marketing materials when you're trying to promise fans that you're staying in the Valley.
  • I hope we're not getting the prerelease beta version of COYOTES 2.0.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
This would have been better if they didn't feel the need to announce the announcement.

To be fair though, we did give them a ton of **** about the dumb taglines and terrible videos

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
The Coyotes 2.0 thing is such a straightforward tagline that it's an anti-tagline in a way. it's like naming software, there's no frills about it, last year's Coyotes were 1.9.2 and now we have taken such a step forward that we are version 2.0. Impressive that it took 19 years to release version 2!

Kind of a strange marketing direction, i like that the tone of voice is casual and they are trying to go for a little more humor rather than taking themselves too seriously, but it's strange to just blatantly say "we're sorry", and refer to themselves as insecure. I'd rather the team embrace the slogans from the past compared to acknowledging that some of them were ****. At the same time, it's almost like... apologizing in an unapologetic tone? Still trying to figure it out haha.

Also I'm assuming that the 2.0 thing is a play on the 20th season, which is somewhat clever.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Also the news article is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the horrible twitter letter

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Is the "very near future" the new "two weeks"? Also, the juxtaposition of "No promises" and saying they need everyone to "buy in" is pretty funny to me.
I am glad that they didn't decide they needed a new slogan every year. I thought that was pretty ridiculous.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
Is the "very near future" the new "two weeks"? Also, the juxtaposition of "No promises" and saying they need everyone to "buy in" is pretty funny to me.
I am glad that they didn't decide they needed a new slogan every year. I thought that was pretty ridiculous.

2.0 weeks.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
On a somewhat related marketing note, I've always wished that they drop the whole "underdog/hockey the hard way" type of theme because it always subtly reinforced to the fans "we have ownership issues (but still come to the games)".... you always want to make positive associations. I'm more partial to messaging that really embraces the apparent contradiction of hot and cold, ie, "The coldest game in the heat", "Freeze the Desert", something along those lines. it's more playful and actually fits in with the unapologetic tone of the new messaging.... "yeah, we play ice hockey in the heat, what are you going to do about it, canada?".

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The best was still hockey the hard way

It was more honest, but less effective at driving interest or ticket sales. One step up from "AZ Cardinals: Not as good as we think we are" or "AZ Diamondbacks: Christ we're a mess" or "Phoenix Suns: You'll probably enjoy yourself if you like the visiting team".

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Lol, yandle is a damn fine player and I still though it was a good deal for both sides, but that's funny.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Super secret top dollar consultant generated marketing plan for the ages:
  1. New arena
  2. Win

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I liked last year's "Not your Dad's Original Six", and the video that went with it.

But Coyotes 2.0 is clean, and clever....at least for this year. Are they 2.1 next year?

As for the arena, it's hard not to get a little excited when something positive is said about it, but this is getting to be a bit much. Maybe he feels compelled to say something about it when asked, I don't know.
Tony's autobiography: The Boy Who Cried Coyote.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
2.0 .... 20 years... Coincidence?

No. from the press release:

Josh Margulies, the team’s new vice president for marketing, calls it Coyotes 2.0; a play on the team’s 20 years in the Valley.

“We want to turn the page on 1.0. We want to be the next generation,†Margulies said. “We want to learn from our mistakes and we want to upgrade.

“No promises, no excuses, no taglines. Let’s just try to be as raw and real and personable as possible.â€

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It's awful marketing to start off with "We're sorry" short of a "Chipotle-esque or Volkswagen-esque" disaster. It should have been, "From now on we're not using any more silly slogans."

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It's awful marketing to start off with "We're sorry" short of a "Chipotle-esque or Volkswagen-esque" disaster. It should have been, "From now on we're not using any more silly slogans."
I think they went a little too heavy with the good cop, bad cop approach but based on how often it's used I have to assume humans are very susceptible to this type of marketing.

1) Be one way for awhile
2) Be the opposite way for awhile
3) Repeat

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
"No Taglines" - COYOTES 2.0

"We're going to show you" .. but no promises, right?

Can they apologise for ownership going AWOL the last 4 months after missing multiple deadlines, too? :sarcasm:

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Agree on the "were sorry" part.
They are getting closer and closer to saying what they really want to say to the hockey fans living in the valley.
Which is: "Like any other business, we must be supported or we will go someplace that will"

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: