Proposal: New Coaching Staff

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Horse ****. Every player on the roster other than Weber, Nystrom and Gaustad (maybe Josi was re-signed before, I don't remember) has been either been traded for, signed, re-signed or Laviolette made the decision to keep them up here rather than in Milwaukee while he was here.

I am curious as to what kind of player it takes for his system. His teams in Carolina and Philly were different. If anything this is a mix of the 2. Philly had Pronger as an anchor, Carolina had Staal and and aging group of vets.

In 05-06 at Carolina
Staal 45g 55a 100p
Williams 31g 45a 76p
Brind'Amour 31g 29a 70p
Cole 30g 29a 59p
Cullen 25g 24a 49p
Stillman 21g 55a 76p
Whitney 17g 38a 55p

Philly 10-11
Carter 36g 30a 66p
Briere 34g 34a 68p
Giroux25g 51a 76p
Hartnell 24g 25a 49p
Richards 24g 33a 57p
Van Riemsdyk 21g 19a 40p
Leino 19g 34a 53

Those were his best years at each all of these players are forwards 40 or more points all. That's 7 forwards each year pulling the weight. Now consider the Preds teams under Lavi and under Trotz Since 2011 when the flush from the Arnott Kryia era not one year with players that put up these type numbers in Nashville The shortened year in 2013 was the period where the numbers just started to tank even more here.The only player at a 50 point pace that year was Weber. in 14 we had Weber Horni and Smith at 50 Josi Fish and leggy in 40's Last year FF Ribs in 60's Josi in 50's Weber Wilson and Smith in 40's. These are a far cry from the forward scoring at both Carolina and Philly under Lavi.

And I do agree with you that he has had influence on who was resigned here at this point the forwards on the roster are far from that past numbers Lavi had. Granted RJ and Neal have the potential at this point im not sure about FF could last year have been a fluke for him???? The jury is out there theres an argument in both directions. So yes Lavi has not had the talent here to run his system. In fact last year Smith was down from the last year under trotz and he is going to be down this season from last. Wilson is just all over the place his goal production this year has been in the toilet but he has held on to some asst's.

We as fans have been perfectly happy with 40 point players in the top 6 the last couple years and many are even willing to bring on even more kids from the farm who have little chance of even 40 points as rookies and some are surprised by guys like Arvidsson, Watson who scored well in the AHL but there just not much more than low end 3rd line or 4th line guys. We have let competent 3rd line guys like Spaling, Fiddler, and others move on to create room for young blood that has failed. Then you take guys like Ward, Peverly, Upshall, even Hartnell who got away and have had good career's. Were they superstars no but all 3 have played 2nd 3rd line. We have never drafted and developed high end forwards Radu could be the exception who knows. But three or four 40 point forwards mixed in with Weber and Josi to lead the scoring is just a pitiful example of an NHL offense. Neal needs higher end players to improve his game hopefully RJ is one of them. But if Poile does not get top 6 help to take the pressure off them and FF I expect 92 and 18 to be outta here when it comes time to sign. Now is the time to get this team headed in the right direction or it could be a decade.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Everyone thinks that Wilson/Smith are what other teams want but they may not like them either and certainly not going to give away potential trade assests for them

your exactly right with those contracts they are boardering on negative value now. Meaning we could have to add to them just to move them.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Everyone thinks that Wilson/Smith are what other teams want but they may not like them either and certainly not going to give away potential trade assests for them

Well no doubt we'd have to add. Vrbata>>>Wilson/Smith minus age. But I'm just saying, Vrbata has a cap of 5.5 I think for this year and then he's a UFA. You give Vancouver a younger wing with more term and it almost offsets salary. Plus you could get Van to take back salary. But if they ask for our 1st as well, I hang up. Immediately.

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
your exactly right with those contracts they are boardering on negative value now. Meaning we could have to add to them just to move them.

They aren't bad contract for normal teams ...but when you don't spend to the cap then all increases have to produce and if you look at it they may flourish under a more relaxed atmosphere ...who knows why these work out... but they aren't producing ...but it indictment of the system we can't produce players that aren't first round picks ....and not even first round picks like Wilson was

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
Well no doubt we'd have to add. Vrbata>>>Wilson/Smith minus age. But I'm just saying, Vrbata has a cap of 5.5 I think for this year and then he's a UFA. You give Vancouver a younger wing with more term and it almost offsets salary. Plus you could get Van to take back salary. But if they ask for our 1st as well, I hang up. Immediately.

they can do that in the NHL ..take back Salary? If they can there is hope for moving Rinne

XxSmashville18Xx

Nov 14, 2015
Smashville, TN
Then we wouldn't have Neal and we'd still be crying for a better wing.

All the "I wish we still had Hornqvist" is garbage. I get it if he's a favorite player of yours or whatever but any player can go to the net and be a presence. Just do it. Sacrifice your body for the greater good of the team. I'd be ok with taking on Chris Higgins as a 3rd line grit, presence guy and Vrbata as a 2nd line sniper. Just swap Wilson/Smith for Vrbata. He doesn't miss wide open chances like those 2.

That's not the only option. There's plenty of guys we can go out and snag. But this teams problem IS no net front presence. Goalies see every shot with the exception of like 4 or 5 a game, otherwise it's in their chest.

Your correct anybody can be a a net front presence, but as many people know horny is the best net front presence in the business, scouts say it, gms say it, everybody says it. If you watch the Chicago game that was something we missed. Bringing hornquist back would bring another scorer and something we need a net front presence, but as you said we do need that net front guy. And yeah Wilson and smith our cold as ice now and have been for awhile now but when those two guys get hot they our great players, that's why we have kept them for so long. I agree with mostly everybody's theory's but I don't like the idea of trading them two just to get rid of them. If we traded them for drouin or a scorer that scores often then I'm willing to trade them. I hope this team snaps into life again! We need Neal and weber too lead this team and all of the older guys as well. I bet after the all star break we snap back into..... Hopefully it's not to late

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad