Proposal: New Coaching Staff

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
don't know how i feel about the coaching. i blame the leadership core more than anyone. these guys are being paid way too much to be below average to mediocre.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The more I think about it and think about our games, we have done little to change anything up other than the players. The system and strategies haven't been adjusted at all. I put that on the coaches. When things aren't working or your don't have the players you gotta make the adjustments you need to.

Do the same thing over and over and expecting different results.. well you know.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
If you guys recall I was not in favor of replacing Trotz with the polar opposite Lavi. It was done and now im not in favor of replacing Lavi for this reason. He has not been given the players for his system to be successful. This is on Poile and the players. Poile completely failed last summer. Last years hot start is directly related to the hot Rinne. But for the last 11 months that guy has been MIA. Hutton is not the answer(Poile). Riberio, Fish, Smith, Wilson(Poile). The complete refusal to trade a defenseman to help the offesnse until it was too late(Poile). Putting all his eggs in the Smith, Wilson basket to be 2nd line players(Poile). Not addressing 3rd line in any way except to sign Hodgson who failed in a 3rd line role in Buffalo(Poile). Its not all Poile but his hand is on most of it.

Players, we have exactly 2 players pacing to have more than 20 goals over half way thru the season. Only 4 players pacing over 40 points two of which are defensemen who have cooled off now.

There is no short answer to this mess which is actually in its 4th year. A list of horrid contracts and underperforming actors on the roster.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
We can't get rid of the team, so get rid of every coach.

If they keep housley only I'm seriously thinking of giving up myseason tickets and just go to occasional games.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Well we had to do it eventually right? Grow up as a franchise and fire a coach because just getting to the playoffs was not good enough and that's all Trotz could ever do for us. Etc. Etc.

The grass was always greener than what we had with Trotz and now I think when looking at what his Caps are doing we suddenly realize it may not have ever been Trotz, or at least not all on Trotz. The forwards have always been average at best and this primarily goes to a combination of us being mediocre for so long that we never got great draft picks. Poile has never been very successful at finding us good forward talent in the mid 1st/later rounds.

Additional fun franchise growing pains are likely ahead. Ever wondered what multiple consecutive top 5 picks look like? We may be in that kind of death spiral right now. Could be a good thing long term if we can get a Toews/Kane type pair assuming we can also survive long term losing as a franchise in Nashville.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
When a coach loses a team it shows in lack of effort. I don't believe the guys aren't trying out there. If they were they wouldn't come back against Winnipeg last week or St. Louis a few weeks back. Our guys for whatever reason could not keep the puck on their sticks last night, i.e. Nystrom disease.

Lavi does not have the horses he needs or likes to run his system. We're getting there.

As far as the leaders go I don't recall us putting a body on Chicago at all last night other than an occasional hit. I don't know why Weber is not more physical. He is your captain, the team goes as he goes. When he hits it sets a tone. When he doesn't the guys are asleep and just not physically into the game. I'm not saying every time we can hit someone we do but you have to take the body every so often to keep teams honest.

fiveAMpractice

Oct 19, 2014
Lavy got out coached by Chicago last night.
They sneak Kane on and off and Lavy thought he was going to do the same thing with Fillip but it backfired screwing up the top two lines. Fillip didn't know what was going on, he was totally out of it, giving up the puck all night. He is on PK too and he never gets a chance for a breather to understand what he is doing . For a second year player its asking a lot.
I thought the team was pushing , trying to get something going but Crawford had an outstanding game and Pekka is just lost, something is wrong with him.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
don't know how i feel about the coaching. i blame the leadership core more than anyone. these guys are being paid way too much to be below average to mediocre.

This right here. I had a chick with me last night watching the game. She's competitive, played college soccer, etc. but she even looked at me and said, is there not one person on this team that will lead and step up and call people out and be a leader?

I thought about that and didn't really have an answer. Yeah, Webs is our captain and has a "presence" but what kind of leader is he actually. He doesn't use his size to his advantage and is hardly physical until something happens to him or Pekka. That's it. We have no leadership on our team. This boils down to having someone lighting a fire under their ***** (the coaches can only do so much) or just the whole room giving up.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
He has not been given the players for his system to be successful. .

Horse ****. Every player on the roster other than Weber, Nystrom and Gaustad (maybe Josi was re-signed before, I don't remember) has been either been traded for, signed, re-signed or Laviolette made the decision to keep them up here rather than in Milwaukee while he was here.

I am curious as to what kind of player it takes for his system. His teams in Carolina and Philly were different. If anything this is a mix of the 2. Philly had Pronger as an anchor, Carolina had Staal and and aging group of vets.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
When you have this many players under performing you have to question the coaching. While some of the players have had time catch up to them (Rinne, Fisher) how is it that almost every forward all of a sudden has a crappy season? Look back almost a calendar year. This team has been bad for a long time and teams have figured out how to beat Lavi's system. If he was a good coach, he would have had all this figured out by now but he just shifts players around. He's a one trick pony and theres a reason he gets fired after having initial success.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Should've kept Horny.

Then we wouldn't have Neal and we'd still be crying for a better wing.

All the "I wish we still had Hornqvist" is garbage. I get it if he's a favorite player of yours or whatever but any player can go to the net and be a presence. Just do it. Sacrifice your body for the greater good of the team. I'd be ok with taking on Chris Higgins as a 3rd line grit, presence guy and Vrbata as a 2nd line sniper. Just swap Wilson/Smith for Vrbata. He doesn't miss wide open chances like those 2.

That's not the only option. There's plenty of guys we can go out and snag. But this teams problem IS no net front presence. Goalies see every shot with the exception of like 4 or 5 a game, otherwise it's in their chest.

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
Then we wouldn't have Neal and we'd still be crying for a better wing.

All the "I wish we still had Hornqvist" is garbage. I get it if he's a favorite player of yours or whatever but any player can go to the net and be a presence. Just do it. Sacrifice your body for the greater good of the team. I'd be ok with taking on Chris Higgins as a 3rd line grit, presence guy and Vrbata as a 2nd line sniper. Just swap Wilson/Smith for Vrbata. He doesn't miss wide open chances like those 2.

That's not the only option. There's plenty of guys we can go out and snag. But this teams problem IS no net front presence. Goalies see every shot with the exception of like 4 or 5 a game, otherwise it's in their chest.

Everyone thinks that Wilson/Smith are what other teams want but they may not like them either and certainly not going to give away potential trade assests for them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad