New coach new lines?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If Keefe wants to be successful there are some slight changes he can make immediately to help this team:

1. Pair Barrie and Reilly together on top pair.
2. Put Ceci with Muzzin and keep bottom pair intact.
3. Move Johnsson off top line to 3rd line. Johnsson-Kerfoot-Micheyev
4. Put Spezza on top line on wing with Matthews-Nylander
5. Let Matthews, Engvall PK
6. Change PP1 unit to include both Reilly and Barrie
7. Assemble 4th line that is Marlie centric, Engvall-Gauthier-Timashov

Reactions: Al14

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think Nick Shore is going to last much longer after tonight. That'll be one big change. I figure Petan might get a slightly longer look but would not be surprised if he's sent down in the next little bit.

I figure Agostino and Korshkov will get some looks soon. Agostino should be able to replace Shore quite easily and Korshkov is exactly what the 2nd line PP needs in front of the net, something Keefe knows all too well this season where the Marlies PP was dominating. When Marner is back, send back down Engvall and Korshkov for cap purposes, rotate Timashov and Spezza until Moore is ready.

I would also switch Hyman and Johnsson. I'd also use Hyman as a front man guy on the first PP, and put Johnsson on the 2nd PP to help them out. Flip Barrie and Rielly for the next little bit as well.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Tavares - Kapanen
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Korshkov
Agostino - Gauthier - Engvall
Timashov - Spezza

Hyman
Matthews Tavares Nylander
Barrie
(They will play more than 50 seconds)

Korshkov
Johnsson Kerfoot Kapanen/Spezza (when in)
Rielly

Last edited:

Thqre

Nov 7, 2019
I'd like to see

Korshkov - Tavares - Marner
Mikheyev - Matthews - Johnsson
Hyman - Nylander - Kapanen
Kerfoot - Gauthier - Engvall

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Ceci (trade him)..

Trade Ceci, then call up Liligren to pair with Muzzin

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You might see some slight changes to lines tonight but nothing major. What you will see is team try to play the Keefe way. and a lot of coaching between shifts on the Keefe way. The one change you might see is Barrie on the top PP. Not a slight on Rielly but meant to try to get Barrie going. I have heard that Keefe is mulling that one over as I write this down. He does not want to piss off Rielly though so the decision has not been made yet. My guess is he ask Riellly today first and then depending on answer he will make a decision.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I'd like to see

Korshkov - Tavares - Marner
Mikheyev - Matthews - Johnsson
Hyman - Nylander - Kapanen
Kerfoot - Gauthier - Engvall

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Ceci (trade him)..

Trade Ceci, then call up Liligren to pair with Muzzin

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander (it worked before)
Micheyev-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Engvall-Gautheir-Moore

Reilly-Barrie
Muzzin-Dermott (can play off side)
Sandin-Holl (Sandin is much better then Ceci)

Trade Ceci for prospect and/or pick(s)

Free up 4.5 million in cap space. Trade for backup goalie.

PP#1

Tavares-Marner-Matthews-Barrie-Reilly

PP#2

Nylander-Hyman-Johnsson-Kapanen-Dermott

PK#1

Muzzin-Holl-Marner-Hyman

PK#2

Reilly-Dermott-Kapanen-Micheyev

Spare PK forwards: Gauthier, Engvall, Moore

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Everything about this team has looked stale and listless for like 10 games. No energy or effort. Getting beaten to pucks, knocked off in the corners, losing footraces, poor forecheck and backcheck. It's bad. Line combos don't typically fix these problems.

But, in this case, I think any change is good change. Everyone will be trying to impress the new coach, and they should know that the GM just used one of his bullets, the next in the chamber will be roster changes. So they should work their tails off.

Put the lines in a blender, and change everything. Some players get an increased role, they think it's great and try harder. Some guys get bumped down, and get scared so they try harder. Keefe could literally make the lines with a dartboard and I would be happy.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Throw it all in a blender and roll 4 lines:

Johnsson-Matthews-Spezza
Hyman-Tavares-Mikheyev
Moore-Kerfoot-Marner
Engvall-Nylander-Kapanen

Rielly-Holl
Muzzin-Ceci
Dermott-Barrie

Reactions: qqaz

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I hope Keefe completely stacks the PP with their best players. I'd like to see the #1 PP play the full 2 minutes unless they lose control of the puck with less than 20 seconds to go.

From time to time, use Matthews/Marner/Tavares on the same line. -Just sprinkle it in there when needed.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Kapanen
Mikheyev Kerfoot Spezza
Engvall Gauthier Timashov

Rielly Barrie
Muzzin Ceci
Dermott Holl

After a while:

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Marner
Mikheyev Kerfoot Kapanen
Korshkov Gauthier Spezza

Rielly Dermott
Muzzin Barrie
Sandin Holl

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Nylander - Matthews - Spezza
Johnsson - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Mikheyev - Gauthier - Timashov/Agostino

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Schmaltz

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
If Keefe wants to be successful there are some slight changes he can make immediately to help this team:

1. Pair Barrie and Reilly together on top pair.
2. Put Ceci with Muzzin and keep bottom pair intact.
3. Move Johnsson off top line to 3rd line. Johnsson-Kerfoot-Micheyev
4. Put Spezza on top line on wing with Matthews-Nylander
5. Let Matthews, Engvall PK
6. Change PP1 unit to include both Reilly and Barrie
7. Assemble 4th line that is Marlie centric, Engvall-Gauthier-Timashov

Pairing two of the worst defensive d-men in the league together would be a disaster. Rielly & Barrie are horrible playing in their own end.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
What would you do to the lines and pairings if you were Keefe and given a fresh slate?

Assuming everyone is healthy.

Johnsson Mathews Nylander
Hymen Tavares Marner
Soup Kerfoot Kappy
Moore Spezza/Goat/Petan

Dermot Rielly
Muzzin Barrie
Holl Ceci

PP
Nylander Tavares Mathews
Marner Reilly/Barrie

Rotate the extra guys on 4th line depending how they re playing.

Same as Barrie on the PP.

I was thinking we could keep all the same lines & hope for a different outcome. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I wonder if Keefe will:

Try Nylander on LW
Try Hyman on RW
Try Mikheyev with Tavares
Recall Agostino

I hope he doesn’t start treating Barrie like a #1Dman. Barrie hasn’t shown many NHL qualities so far in his Leaf tenure.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
You might see some slight changes to lines tonight but nothing major. What you will see is team try to play the Keefe way. and a lot of coaching between shifts on the Keefe way. The one change you might see is Barrie on the top PP. Not a slight on Rielly but meant to try to get Barrie going. I have heard that Keefe is mulling that one over as I write this down. He does not want to piss off Rielly though so the decision has not been made yet. My guess is he ask Riellly today first and then depending on answer he will make a decision.
that will 100% piss Reilly off. And I'm not sure how a new coach, that a player knows he has to get on his good side, is supposed to "ask" a player to do this thing that the new coach clearly wants him to do. It would actually be insulting if he tried to make Rielly feel like it was his own decision. Beause there is no way on earth Rielly wants to take himself off the PP where he pads his stats and helps him get extra millions on his next contract. All so a guy Rielly barely knows can replace him without remotely deserving to, and all for some vague hope this player "gets going" even though he has already had plenty of opportunity to get going with the 2nd unit. That would be a truly weird way for a new coach to get off on the wrong foot with his new coworkers, but being the up-is-down progressive ShanaDubas leafs I now expect it to happen.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Really excited to see what Keefe does here, although moreso when Marner returns.

I'm sure he's been thinking about what lineups he would make for a long time.

Reactions: stickty111

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Cant believe posters think the team will umprove by putting Korshkov into the top lines. This is the NHL, most rookies make alot of mistakes in their first year. At this point we cannot risk the growing pains to put a rookie into the top 6. Look at Kappo, a budding star. He is a -10.

Keefe needs to lean on his top players. I think the lineup may be tweeked but players will remain mostly the same. Im expecting bigger minutes for matthews, barrie, and maybe a bigger role for Spezza.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Johnsson-Matthews-Marner
Mikheyev-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Moore-Gauthier-Keefe'sMarliePick
Spezza

Rielly-Barrie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Liljegren(whaaatt???)
Ceci

Andersen
Pleasegetabackup

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I don't think Nick Shore is going to last much longer after tonight. That'll be one big change. I figure Petan might get a slightly longer look but would not be surprised if he's sent down in the next little bit.
I thought this too. Shore was Babcock being Babcock. Keefe will likely spell the end of Shore. A Marlie like Agostino will in all likelihood end up with that spot. And definitely won't be any Shore over Spezza stuff going on. Dubas didn't bring Spezza in for him to get the treatment he's gotten from Babs

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Already like Keefe better
Powerplay lines (with who he has currently obviously)

PP1:
Matthews-Tavares-Nylander
Rielly-Barrie

PP2:
Spezza-Johnsson-Kapanen-Kefoot
Muzzin

Everyone but Babs saw this needed a shakeup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad