New cities 2017-2018

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Binghamton announced back in the fall that they will have another team to replace the Senators, but nothing specific yet. Not a new city, but a new team in a current city. Of course until it is announced it isn't official and could possibly fall through.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Kansas City was just a bad rumor. That isn't going to happen.

Absolutely right...I agree. At one point there was some real talks but that ship has sailed and isn't going to happen now. The Blues have been trying to go to KC for about 5 years now, but have given up on that idea now.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Absolutely right...I agree. At one point there was some real talks but that ship has sailed and isn't going to happen now. The Blues have been trying to go to KC for about 5 years now, but have given up on that idea now.

I love how people just start throwing BS out there that has been shot down before.

We know Belleville and Laval. That's it.

I think Salt Lake City will get a team next year. And Cincinnati. And Chicago. Just saying.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I love how people just start throwing BS out there that has been shot down before.

We know Belleville and Laval. That's it.

I think Salt Lake City will get a team next year. And Cincinnati. And Chicago. Just saying.

When I remembered that you are a Chicago fan, I got the joke.

Don't you know that SLC is getting an NHL team in another thread? Just because they have no specific owner or an NHL quality arena, don't let that stop people from putting ideas out there.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Vegas should really try getting the Chicago Wolves, but I did read an article that the Blues are trying to get Kansas City.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Vegas should really try getting the Chicago Wolves, but I did read an article that the Blues are trying to get Kansas City.

Las Vegas is already getting an NHL team next season!

The Wolves are an anchor in the Midwest region (Central Division). They are the closest AHL team to Milwaukee, Rockford and Grand Rapids. They are the second closest AHL team to Des Moines. If you are trying to unravel this division, that would be the way to get it started.

Or did you mean that the Wolves would be a likely AHL affiliate for L V?

There is no AHL team in KC and never has been.

Last edited:

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Las Vegas is already getting an NHL team next season!

The Wolves are an anchor in the Midwest region (Central Division). They are the closest AHL team to Milwaukee, Rockford and Grand Rapids. They are the second closest AHL team to Des Moines. If you are trying to unravel this division, that would be the way to get it started.

Or did you mean that the Wolves would be a likely AHL affiliate for L V?

There is no AHL team in KC and never has been.

Hey ads...glad you see the non-sense for what it is...Kansas City WILL NOT be coming into the AHL...the Blues have given up on that idea. I got my information on that straight from New York Islanders head of scouting AND KC resident Ken Morrow. I asked him a week ago about the rumors and he said that the Blues had been trying for 5 years to go into KC and that theyve given up on that idea...think about it....5 years ago St Louis OWNED their own franchise and couldn't get it done, What makes anyone think that they could now without a franchise???

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

The rumor is that Vegas and Chicago are talking...so who knows. Could be a good match since there are tons of flights between the two and the Wolves like to have control over their on ice product, where as Vegas wont be ready to control 2 teams right off the bat, but who knows.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
The rumor is that Vegas and Chicago are talking...so who knows. Could be a good match since there are tons of flights between the two and the Wolves like to have control over their on ice product, where as Vegas wont be ready to control 2 teams right off the bat, but who knows.

The other thing that makes sense is that Vegas will not have enough players to stock an ahl team. Chicago has the means and ability to fill out the roster.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hey ads...glad you see the non-sense for what it is...Kansas City WILL NOT be coming into the AHL...the Blues have given up on that idea. I got my information on that straight from New York Islanders head of scouting AND KC resident Ken Morrow. I asked him a week ago about the rumors and he said that the Blues had been trying for 5 years to go into KC and that theyve given up on that idea...think about it....5 years ago St Louis OWNED their own franchise and couldn't get it done, What makes anyone think that they could now without a franchise???

I love how in 1 post you promote the Wolves & Vegas, in the previous you completely rule out KC. If the Golden Knights sign an agreement with Chicago, then it opens the door for the Blues to buy an expansion team and place a team where they choose and writing KC out of that equation at this point is just as stupid as people saying it will happen for sure.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I love how in 1 post you promote the Wolves & Vegas, in the previous you completely rule out KC. If the Golden Knights sign an agreement with Chicago, then it opens the door for the Blues to buy an expansion team and place a team where they choose and writing KC out of that equation at this point is just as stupid as people saying it will happen for sure.

YOU'RE forgetting one thing, Method, the Missouri Mavericks have a secondary affiliation w/ St. Louis and they were stunned about they potentially being involved in a similar scenario.

KC is done as a hockey market or a business-friendly environment, that's why AEG hasn't entertained going there for franchise placement, based off what Sylvester James stated, whether AEG is directly or indirectly involved, that's why Sprint Center operates without a pro tenant and has successfully succeeded to date.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

Read the ENTIRE first post you quoted and not the part that you like please...The Blues sold their franchise to Vancouver because Tom Stillman and the ownership group wasn't wanting to own and operate an AHL franchise, it came with the Blues upon purchase...This FACT is indisputable based on Stillman's own words in interviews at that time. When the Blues owned its franchise it was in Peoria by their choice...KC was vacant then, as well, yet St. Louis didn't move there then. Why do you think that 3 years later they are going to spend the money to buy a franchise and put it in the very market they could've gone to at any time they owned their own franchise?
And I didn't "promote" the Wolves and Vegas...all I said was that there were rumors that they were talking and then stated an opinion of why it might work...there are also reasons why it wouldn't work, but they are fewer.

Add to that the information that Ken Morrow gave to me and I can tell you St. Louis isn't buying another franchise and they aren't going into KC. And so you are aware...a little background on Morrow...member of the 1980 US Olympic team...Stanley Cup winner with the New York Islander dynasty teams in the 80's...Head of scouting for those same Islanders for many years now...Kansas City resident for many years now...I would think that if anyone would know something it would be him since he's majorly plugged into the hockey world and also lives in the city in question, so would be plugged in there as well.

But don't believe me...you just go ahead and continue to tell me that what I said is stupid...and yet you offer nothing in rebuttle.

Like I said already...it wouldn't surprise me to see Colorado buy that 31st franchise and move their team closer to Denver...they were rumored to be wanting to do this, a couple of season's ago, at the same time that Arizona was rumored to be wanting to buy one and move it to Tuscon...obviously neither one of those rumors had any truth to them.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
When I remembered that you are a Chicago fan, I got the joke.

Don't you know that SLC is getting an NHL team in another thread? Just because they have no specific owner or an NHL quality arena, don't let that stop people from putting ideas out there.

And I forgot Milwaukee may get a team as well. Sorry I forgot to give you cover..... :)

It is possible that the Blues could buy an expansion AHL franchise. Or Colorado could. Or Nashville. Or Bingo. Or any other freaking ownership group with enough money to pony up to the AHL to purchase it. So, no Kansas City is not out but then again, no one except the NHL teams and current AHL owners are "out".

Read the ENTIRE first post you quoted and not the part that you like please...The Blues sold their franchise to Vancouver because Tom Stillman and the ownership group wasn't wanting to own and operate an AHL franchise, it came with the Blues upon purchase...This FACT is indisputable based on Stillman's own words in interviews at that time. When the Blues owned its franchise it was in Peoria by their choice...KC was vacant then, as well, yet St. Louis didn't move there then. Why do you think that 3 years later they are going to spend the money to buy a franchise and put it in the very market they could've gone to at any time they owned their own franchise?
And I didn't "promote" the Wolves and Vegas...all I said was that there were rumors that they were talking and then stated an opinion of why it might work...there are also reasons why it wouldn't work, but they are fewer.

Add to that the information that Ken Morrow gave to me and I can tell you St. Louis isn't buying another franchise and they aren't going into KC. And so you are aware...a little background on Morrow...member of the 1980 US Olympic team...Stanley Cup winner with the New York Islander dynasty teams in the 80's...Head of scouting for those same Islanders for many years now...Kansas City resident for many years now...I would think that if anyone would know something it would be him since he's majorly plugged into the hockey world and also lives in the city in question, so would be plugged in there as well.

But don't believe me...you just go ahead and continue to tell me that what I said is stupid...and yet you offer nothing in rebuttle.

Like I said already...it wouldn't surprise me to see Colorado buy that 31st franchise and move their team closer to Denver...they were rumored to be wanting to do this, a couple of season's ago, at the same time that Arizona was rumored to be wanting to buy one and move it to Tuscon...obviously neither one of those rumors had any truth to them.

You know you could have sad all that in one sentence.

You could have just posted "I am right and you are not." :)

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada

Why Colorado wouldnt just buy the San Antonio Rampage and move them closer? Why the Blues or any potential owners of a KC AHL team just buy the Chicago Wolves? It just seem like it would be easier for teams who want to bring their AHL team closer to buy the team they are currently affiliated with and move the team than have 4 teams fight for one expansion team.

It is possible that the Blues could buy an expansion AHL franchise. Or Colorado could. Or Nashville. Or Bingo. Or any other freaking ownership group with enough money to pony up to the AHL to purchase it. So, no Kansas City is not out but then again, no one except the NHL teams and current AHL owners are "out".

why would Nashville buy an expansion AHL team, Milwaukee is a pretty good place for their farm team, being close to everyone of their division rivals with exception of Dallas.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Why Colorado wouldnt just buy the San Antonio Rampage and move them closer? Why the Blues or any potential owners of a KC AHL team just buy the Chicago Wolves? It just seem like it would be easier for teams who want to bring their AHL team closer to buy the team they are currently affiliated with and move the team than have 4 teams fight for one expansion team.

why would Nashville buy an expansion AHL team, Milwaukee is a pretty good place for their farm team, being close to everyone of their division rivals with exception of Dallas.

Both the teams you mention would have to be up for sale...both are privately owned the San Antonio Rampage are owned by the San Antonio Spurs group and the Wolves are owned by 2 business men here in Chicago. Neither are up for sale that we know of.

ripham23232

Nov 6, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Are you being sarcastic here? I ask because Arizona did buy a team and move it to Tucson. Not sure if my sarcasm meter is failing me currently.

Why would Nashville buy an expansion AHL team, Milwaukee is a pretty good place for their farm team, being close to everyone of their division rivals with exception of Dallas.

Still close enough for a ~2 hour flight from Milwaukee to Dallas at that.

Both the teams you mention would have to be up for sale...both are privately owned the San Antonio Rampage are owned by the San Antonio Spurs group and the Wolves are owned by 2 business men here in Chicago. Neither are up for sale that we know of.

I would think both of these teams are in the same boat as Milwaukee above. No they, aren't terribly close to their parent club, but both are cities with major airports, making travel to any NHL city relatively easy. I can't imagine from that angle that Colorado is too upset with the San Antonio relationship. Of course, that's just one small piece of pie that goes into making an affiliation a beneficial one.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Are you being sarcastic here? I ask because Arizona did buy a team and move it to Tucson. Not sure if my sarcasm meter is failing me currently.

Still close enough for a ~2 hour flight from Milwaukee to Dallas at that.

I would think both of these teams are in the same boat as Milwaukee above. No they, aren't terribly close to their parent club, but both are cities with major airports, making travel to any NHL city relatively easy. I can't imagine from that angle that Colorado is too upset with the San Antonio relationship. Of course, that's just one small piece of pie that goes into making an affiliation a beneficial one.

Yes Rip your sarcasm accidently was turned off. My response was just that, except that I was trying to point out that back then both teams were included in the same rumor and Arizona did exactly what was rumored. So there is no reason to think that the colorado portion of the rumor wasn't also true. And that they could still be in the market for that team owned franchise. Vegas would be better served to worry about their NHL club for the forseeable future, making them and Chicago a good match.

ripham23232

Nov 6, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Yes Rip your sarcasm accidently was turned off. My response was just that, except that I was trying to point out that back then both teams were included in the same rumor and Arizona did exactly what was rumored. So there is no reason to think that the colorado portion of the rumor wasn't also true. And that they could still be in the market for that team owned franchise. Vegas would be better served to worry about their NHL club for the foreseeable future, making them and Chicago a good match.

Got it. Thank you. This is probably a question for its own thread, but if Las Vegas has an AHL affiliate for their first year, won't that AHL team have to meet the roster requirements of x amount of development guys and x amount of AHL-only contracts?

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Got it. Thank you. This is probably a question for its own thread, but if Las Vegas has an AHL affiliate for their first year, won't that AHL team have to meet the roster requirements of x amount of development guys and x amount of AHL-only contracts?

There really is no x amount of ahl only contracts per say....what the rules state is that you can only dressed a certain number of players deemed veterans per game...the criteria for that is less than 260 games and no more than 320 at the start of the current season. Meaning that you can dress 5 guys with more than 260 qualified pro games and 1 guy who falls in the 260 to 320 range if my numbers are correct with regards to the number of games.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
There really is no x amount of ahl only contracts per say....what the rules state is that you can only dressed a certain number of players deemed veterans per game...the criteria for that is less than 260 games and no more than 320 at the start of the current season. Meaning that you can dress 5 guys with more than 260 qualified pro games and 1 guy who falls in the 260 to 320 range if my numbers are correct with regards to the number of games.

There is no max limit for veterans, once they pass 260 AHL/NHL/"Elite euro" games they're considered an AHL vet. It's that one player you correctly mention later that caps at 320. Goaltenders used to be exempt from the rule, and I think still are.

But yeah, if you could get 20 guys on NHL contracts that match the AHL roster rules a team could do that...

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The rumor is that Lamar Hunt Jr. owner of the Missouri Mavericks was/is (whichever it may be) purchasing the AHL franchise rights, along with a former Blues player. The second half was that Lamar Hunt Jr. would also receive a minority stake in the Blues ownership group.

None of us can say whether or not its happening or not happening. Just because one Islanders scout says it is dead doesn't mean he truly knows, as that kind of dealing would not be really discussed with his department at this point in time much. But it doesn't mean that the rumors are true and KC is getting a team wither.

All we know is that the Blues don't own their affiliate now, over the summer the Blues and Wolves renewed their affiliation for one season (2016-17) only and the articles mentioned that the Wolves would look elsewhere after this season. (Most likely Vegas). So that would leave the Blues without the Wolves. We know Lamar Hunt Jr. since buying the Mavericks has stated he wants to grow hockey in KC, and he is starting up a USHL franchise once an arena project in the Kansas suburbs is completed. We also know that soon after the AHL rumors broke out the Mavericks posted a statement on Facebook which said they are committed to being the ECHL affiliate of the Islanders.

So is it possible the AHL could come to KC next season? Yes. Is it guaranteed? Not at this point as far as anyone knows.

It is too early before silly season to completely rule it out or confirm it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad