New CBA discussion thread

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
So looking like a 19th start?

Should get a schedule either Tomorrow or Thursday hopefully.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Still waiting on the Pens' new schedule. The couple guys I am splitting the tickets with plan on meeting Monday, and am anxious to see what we end up with. From what I hear the games will start either the 16th or 19th, and either be 48 or 50 games. Meaning 24 or 25 home games. I am guessing no preseason or at least I would hope not. Would be kind of ridiculous. But you would think that they would have announced the schedule by now.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Still waiting on the Pens' new schedule. The couple guys I am splitting the tickets with plan on meeting Monday, and am anxious to see what we end up with. From what I hear the games will start either the 16th or 19th, and either be 48 or 50 games. Meaning 24 or 25 home games. I am guessing no preseason or at least I would hope not. Would be kind of ridiculous. But you would think that they would have announced the schedule by now.

The season definitely won't start the 16th with training camps opening on the 13th. So it looks like the 19th and 48 game season.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
It will be a 48-game season, per Mckenzie.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

As others reported, looks like season is maximum 48 games starting Jan 19 with camps opening no later than Sunday Jan. 13, if all goes well.

In a 48-game schedule, there'll be no play between conferences. East plays East and West plays West. But here's the schedule matrix for 48:

Each team plays: 4 games vs. two Divisional opponents (8); 5 games vs. two divisional opponents (10); 3 games vs 10 Conference rivals (30).

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
So, Islanders and Devils, 4 games each. Philly and Rangers 5 games each... sounds about right.

Hopefully we play the Canes early in the season. Interested to see how we play against the Staals.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
And when would be the trade deadline? 20 games into the season? Lose 4 or 5 in a row early on and do you become a seller? Will be an interesting thing to see play out.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
And when would be the trade deadline? 20 games into the season? Lose 4 or 5 in a row early on and do you become a seller? Will be an interesting thing to see play out.

I believe the league wants April 8th, but it hasn't been agreed on yet.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I believe the league wants April 8th, but it hasn't been agreed on yet.

That's about when it was in 1994, no?

Later date likely means more sellers. Next year's cap may mean the same.

Question: I was reading USA Today today :))), and there was a reference to a clause allowing teams to trade cap space. That is, you could acquire a player and the team trading him can keep up to 50% of the cap hit. Read that you can do three deals like this a year. Is this right, or did they get it wrong?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That's about when it was in 1994, no?

Later date likely means more sellers. Next year's cap may mean the same.

Question: I was reading USA Today today :))), and there was a reference to a clause allowing teams to trade cap space. That is, you could acquire a player and the team trading him can keep up to 50% of the cap hit. Read that you can do three deals like this a year. Is this right, or did they get it wrong?

You mean '95 Kirk? I honestly can't remember.

I'm trying to figure out how moving cap space works, but I know Burke will be happy and we should see more trades throughout the season now. Got tired of only seeing trades at the deadline.

Was never like that before the cap.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You mean '95 Kirk? I honestly can't remember.

I'm trying to figure out how moving cap space works, but I know Burke will be happy and we should see more trades throughout the season now. Got tired of only seeing trades at the deadline.

Was never like that before the cap.

1. Yes, I mean 1995. Senility is a *****.

2. Yes, you can trade cap space. Terms are below.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/21219/trades-cheat-deals-and-more-cba-details

RETAINING SALARY IN TRADES
This was Brian Burke’s baby, an idea he pushed for years at GM meetings. Under the old CBA, teams could not absorb any part of a salary from a player they were trading -- unlike baseball for example.

But in this new agreement, teams will be able to do that.

Here are the main parameters of the rule: A club cannot absorb more than 50 percent of the players’ annual cap hit/salary in any trade. Any NHL club can only have up to three contracts on their payroll in which the contract was traded away under the retaining salary proviso. Also, only up to 15 percent of your upper limit cap amount can be used up by the money you have retained in trades.

For example, let’s say the Maple Leafs want to trade little-used blueliner Mike Komisarek and his $4.5-million cap hit ($3.5 million salary this year) to the New York Islanders (hypothetically). The Leafs could retain half the cap hit -- $2.25 million -- and half the salary -- $1.75 million -- in order to facilitate the deal. The Islanders would pay him the other half. This should facilitate more trades around the league, no question.

EDIT: This definitely opens some possibilities for the Pens, both as a buyer and a seller. Maybe the market for Martin where the Pens eat a million or so of his salary yields a far better return. Maybe the Pens as a buyer look at teams with a big contract where they don't want to take it all but might take 75% or so. This definitely means a lot more business, IMO.

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Can someone explain this better to me?:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...p-circumventing-contracts-153717517--nhl.html

I thought I was doing the math correctly but wasn't getting their numbers.

I'm probably just messing up something real simple.

1. From the article:

The simplest way to explain it is this: Let's assume the Canucks and Maple Leafs make the deal. Vancouver would be responsible for the "cap benefit" that it received in the first two years. Toronto would be responsible for any remaining "cap benefit" it gets as a result of contract structure if he walks away early.

The cap benefit of the first two years of Luongo's deal is 6M. If he retires with more than 3 years left on his deal, Vancouver is on the hook for the hit. Definitely makes moving deals like this tougher. BTW, same goes for the Sid deal in terms of the cap hit.

Note: It doesn't seem to apply to injuries (e.g., Pronger), but there's nothing authoritative in the article.

2. Check out what I just posted. The Luongo rule is interesting. The far more interesting thing, IMO, is the whole angle about teams being able to use salary cap/payroll in a traded contract as a trade asset. Example, is Paul Martin worth more to then Pens in a trade just trading his 5M contract OR where the Pens eat 1.5M of the cap hit/salary but likely get more suitors and more of a return? Conversely, I have zero interest in J-Bo at 6.6M. What if Calgary were willing to eat 25% of the cap hit? Really makes things interesting, IMO . . .

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
1. Yes, I mean 1995. Senility is a *****.

2. Yes, you can trade cap space. Terms are below.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/21219/trades-cheat-deals-and-more-cba-details

RETAINING SALARY IN TRADES
This was Brian Burke’s baby, an idea he pushed for years at GM meetings. Under the old CBA, teams could not absorb any part of a salary from a player they were trading -- unlike baseball for example.

But in this new agreement, teams will be able to do that.

Here are the main parameters of the rule: A club cannot absorb more than 50 percent of the players’ annual cap hit/salary in any trade. Any NHL club can only have up to three contracts on their payroll in which the contract was traded away under the retaining salary proviso. Also, only up to 15 percent of your upper limit cap amount can be used up by the money you have retained in trades.

For example, let’s say the Maple Leafs want to trade little-used blueliner Mike Komisarek and his $4.5-million cap hit ($3.5 million salary this year) to the New York Islanders (hypothetically). The Leafs could retain half the cap hit -- $2.25 million -- and half the salary -- $1.75 million -- in order to facilitate the deal. The Islanders would pay him the other half. This should facilitate more trades around the league, no question.

EDIT: This definitely opens some possibilities for the Pens, both as a buyer and a seller. Maybe the market for Martin where the Pens eat a million or so of his salary yields a far better return. Maybe the Pens as a buyer look at teams with a big contract where they don't want to take it all but might take 75% or so. This definitely means a lot more business, IMO.

Just saw That's Hockey and they said April 5th.

LeBrun then echoed everything I said about how trading cap space would create more hockey trades and trades would likely happen more throughout the year.

Very nice to hear.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Just saw That's Hockey and they said April 5th.

LeBrun then echoed everything I said about how trading cap space would create more hockey trades and trades would likely happen more throughout the year.

Very nice to hear.

I wonder if you'll think so, when the deadline comes and Paul Holmgren gives up Schenn and the rest of the young cupboard in exchange for Cammallerri, J-Bo, and Kiprusoff at a combined 9.2M cap hit for this year and next (where he easily can solve next year's problem with compliance buyouts of the head case and Briere). FYI, that 9.2M is a 50% off hit . . . Calgary's owner can afford it, and it definitely would accelerate a rebuild.

Put it this way (as I have elsewhere): You can have Cammy for 3M. You can have J-Bo for 3.3M. Balance of this year and next. What are they worth to you at THAT number?

Imagine if TB puts Vinny (or even Malone) out at a third off. Any interest in Havlat at half the cap hit? Not a Wideman fan at 5.25M. What about 3M?

There aren't a ton of guys like this, but a team like Calgary could do quite the accelerated rebuild if Iggy forces their hand.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I wonder if you'll think so, when the deadline comes and Paul Holmgren gives up Schenn and the rest of the young cupboard in exchange for Cammallerri, J-Bo, and Kiprusoff at a combined 9.2M cap hit for this year and next (where he easily can solve next year's problem with compliance buyouts of the head case and Briere). FYI, that 9.2M is a 50% off hit . . . Calgary's owner can afford it, and it definitely would accelerate a rebuild.

Put it this way (as I have elsewhere): You can have Cammy for 3M. You can have J-Bo for 3.3M. Balance of this year and next. What are they worth to you at THAT number?

Imagine if TB puts Vinny (or even Malone) out at a third off. Any interest in Havlat at half the cap hit? Not a Wideman fan at 5.25M. What about 3M?

There aren't a ton of guys like this, but a team like Calgary could do quite the accelerated rebuild if Iggy forces their hand.

Shero has the same playing field as Homer. If Shero doesn't take advantage of it, then perhaps he isn't the top GM we believe he is.

All of that aside, I hated how the cap killed the trade market. Now we will see trades in the Fall, when players can have longer to gel with their teams.

It also means more excitement throughout the year because big trades could happen at any time.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Has anything been decided about realignment yet?

Supposedly it will kick in for the start of the 2013-2014 season.

I have to wonder if in a few years there will be calls to change the playoff format in this new realignment scenario. In one "conference" you have PIT, PHI, NJ, NYI, NYR, WAS, and CAR. In one of the others you have BOS, BUF, OTT, MTL, TOR, FLA, and TB. I would not be surprised if the 5th placed team in the Penguins' conference had more points then the 3rd place team in Boston's conference. I think that will piss some teams off after a few years.

If it were up to me, I'd go along with the division heavy schedule they want for the regular season (with home-and-home against teams outside the division), move CBJ into the division with the Penguins. Come playoff time there will once again be eastern and western conferences. The division winners would be the first two seeds, with 3 through 8 going by points.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
Can anyone further explain this...

So, we say the new "Luongo Deal" where a player with a contract such as his, if traded to a team and retiring early, the team that originally signed him to his long deal will be responsible for some of the hit, as well as the team that acquired him. That much is all clear for me.

But, this question, from what I've seen, hasn't yet been asked and is therefor unanswered.

What happens if Luongo is traded to the Leafs this season. 10 years left on his deal. Lets say, in 3 years, the Leafs decide they no longer want Loungo, so they trade him. 7 years left. Let's say he plays four more of those years, then retires. Are the Leafs still going to be penalized with his cap, or will it be the team that signed him to the contract and the team that is currently signing his checks?

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
i'm trying to figure out the ramifications of the fact that teams can "retain salaries in trades" or whatever, ie whether it's a good thing or bad thing, and how/if wealthy teams can exploit it.

thoughts?

all i can come up with is that wealthy teams that are rebuilding can turn excess cap space/$ into assets.

but rich teams that are close to ceiling already... ie the pens main competition... can they exploit this somehow?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
^ Hilarious that there's still 2% that wanted to hold out for more. At least the other 98 percents greed isn't that extreme and we will have hockey. Hoping for an exciting few days now...

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Yah 2% that's roughly 15 guys. I guess I can tolerate 15 nimrods in a group of 750. Speaks pretty well of the collective. Eventually, they will be assimilated.

Borg_2366.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad