OT: New bridge to be named Maurice-Richard?

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
"Ridiculous. As important as Richard was for hockey fans, he's no Champlain. I mean, Lafontaine, Cartier, Queen Victoria, Mercier... and Maurice Richard ??? I don't mind a street, an arena... even a park or plaza... but a bridge... this is so like Harper can't wait until he's gone..."

Exactly.

New Champlain is fine.

Puck Hog

May 2, 2013
Well, it's been 55 years since we last heard people swear in fits while muttering his name...

When you're bumper to bumper on that confounded bridge, you'll be able to just close your eyes and imagine you're at the forum.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Ridiculous. As important as Richard was for hockey fans, he's no Champlain. I mean, Lafontaine, Cartier, Queen Victoria, Mercier... and Maurice Richard ??? I don't mind a street, an arena... even a park or plaza... but a bridge... this is so like Harper can't wait until he's gone...

ROFLMAO
A bridge? Really?
Sorry, don't see the difference. Like bridges are more important than streets or something hahahaha
As for Harper, if you think he has the last call i got naming rights to a bridge to sell ya

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Maybe In a situation with no context, but when you consider how in our city hockey is a RELIGION and it is what forms the indentity of this city, then you should be able to understand how one of the greatest of all time was more than "just a hockey player".

outside the hockey world, no one cares about the Richards, he was a hockey player, scoring goals, getting assists, as great as he was doing that (and he was great), in the history of this province/country what he did had little to no effect on what we are and in no way what we are today is partly (even the smallest possible part) because of him.

He was an entertainer (albeit a great one) during la grande noirceur, that is all.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
by all means, name anything you want after him, but can it not be a bridge though? his name is good, bridges in montreal start good then turn to all kinds of ****....id rather save his memory

oh yeah, and i am totally exaggerating (a wee bit, but you get the idea), but he's our jackie robinson and deserves more stuff named after him - as long as they are not bridges or symbols of corruption - like bridges...

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
but he's our jackie robinson and deserves more stuff named after him -

Well, Jackie Robinson was our Jackie Robinson, too.

And I don't get the analogy. Robinson was the first player to break baseball's colour barrier. Maurice Richard was not the first French Canadian player to break the....uh....language barrier.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Regardless of what they officially call it, it's nickname will be the 390 ($3.90 toll), e.g. take the 390 to get to the south shore ...

Last edited:

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
By the time it will be finished we can win many Stanley Cups, and by that time the bridge could be named Pont Michel Therrien. What do you all think?

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
-
Whenever they build a very short bridge that costs Montreal a LOT of money and never seems to justify Its costs i then think we should call it the David-Desharnais Bridge...

------------------------------------
hWLjcdl.gif

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Make a trade with LA and call it the Jarret Stoll Bridge. Ba dum bum ching.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006

Some people refuse to learn from others, making it a long road to education, you can lead a horse to water but try making it drink!:shakehead

You guys might want to learn a bit more about the scientific method before trying to lecture a complete stranger with Google, since you don't know who I am and what I do for a living.

Saying Richard started the quiet revolution is as an uneducated remark as saying Franz Ferdinand's assassination caused the first World War.

There are multiple reasons why the quiet revolution happened and who were the principal catalysts... but Richard wasn't one of them. His situation might have provoked Quebekers, but he himself wasn't a strong revolutionnary, on the contrary....

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
IF and I say IF we go down the Hockey route to name the bridge: Jean Béliveau

Calm and sturdy force.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
IF and I say IF we go down the Hockey route to name the bridge: Jean Béliveau

Calm and sturdy force.

But Jean is a real gentleman from another era. He wouldn't charge the ladies to cross his bridge. Try to implement that efficiently.

The Rocket would just stare at you with his fiery eyes until you paid the ******* toll!

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I would name it Quebecor Bridge as long as PKP pays for the whole thing.
Actually, Bell paid to have the new Hab house named Bell Center.
why the heck can we rename ALL the bridges and let the BIG guys pay.
Quebecor bridge, Molson Bridge, Labatt Bridge and so on and lets the bidding wars begin!!!!!

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I would name it Quebecor Bridge as long as PKP pays for the whole thing.
Actually, Bell paid to have the new Hab house named Bell Center.
why the heck can we rename ALL the bridges and let the BIG guys pay.
Quebecor bridge, Molson Bridge, Labatt Bridge and so on and lets the bidding wars begin!!!!!

So we could do 200 ft drainpours from the passenger window?

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
So we could do 200 ft drainpours from the passenger window?
better yet, half way across you could have a full service drive through to pick up your case of 24 on the way home.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00