OT: New bridge to be named Maurice-Richard?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
As a hockey player and a hero that the masses tuned in to watch, for his fire and undying desire to win for them, one would think the toll could be covered from the deep pockets that fuel the Govt & it's media, wouldn't most of us think that way?:nod: Trying to evoke my inner Jeremiah Johnson/Robert Redford sense of pioneer in people, isn't such a bad thing, country living gives one a sense of purpose. City living seems to drain that inner person, slowly insipidly but it does!

Last edited:

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Ridiculous. As important as Richard was for hockey fans, he's no Champlain. I mean, Lafontaine, Cartier, Queen Victoria, Mercier... and Maurice Richard ??? I don't mind a street, an arena... even a park or plaza... but a bridge... this is so like Harper can't wait until he's gone...

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
And rename the current structure the Desharnais Bridge because it's probably going to fall down.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'd don't like to, because frankly...
Bridges are hassles.

I tend to go back to see my family on the South Shore.

Saying things like "******** de côlisse de Maurice Richard" would be extremely wrong.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Ridiculous. As important as Richard was for hockey fans, he's no Champlain. I mean, Lafontaine, Cartier, Queen Victoria, Mercier... and Maurice Richard ??? I don't mind a street, an arena... even a park or plaza... but a bridge... this is so like Harper can't wait until he's gone...

Obviously you weren't around when The Rocket evoked all that was good in the common working man, were you?:nod: People like them are why the Habs are named the Habs!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Yeah I agree..
I much prefer Pont Sir Wilf :laugh::laugh:

demonsurge

Dec 6, 2006
There's quite a few scientists, doctors, etc. that have worked towards human rights or the benefits of mankind...

For a street, no problem. For a massive bridge, I think it could have been named better. Seems like a really weak attempt at positive opinion.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The total sum of strife, suffering and wars that has devastated our species in the past is somehow being lost on the young. Open your eyes and do some reading into the history of your own families before casting, humorous stones at once very proud Canadians whether French or any other heritage it will be important one day soon, if you don't.:nod:

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Well, while I was watching Infoman Thursday, Jean-René was asking people to give names for the new bridge and most of them were by far more brilliant:

- L'osti d'pont
- Pont PET (ponpète)

http://ici.tou.tv/infoman/S15E08?autoplay=true (at about 11:20)

Honestly, I couldn't care less about the bridge's name

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well, while I was watching Infoman Thursday, Jean-René was asking people to give names for the new bridge and most of them were by far more brilliant:

- L'osti d'pont
- Pont PET (ponpète)

http://ici.tou.tv/infoman/S15E08?autoplay=true (at about 11:20)

Honestly, I couldn't care less about the bridge's name

Pont PET could also be understood as "pompette". Which is even better for those who can actually understand.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

I was going to answer your post along the lines of:

I'm an anti-monarchist so i don't want Queen Victoria, Lafontaine we have a fair-sized park named after him, Mercier we have one bridge, Cartier? you mean Johnny Mac's right hand man or Jacques? If Jacques, we have another bridge named after him. As for Champlain he wasn't really Canadian - or Quebecois. He was a French colonist. Maybe the French should name a bridge after him.

I'm fine with Maurice Richard.

BUT then I got a great idea. Why doesn't the Federal government sell the naming rights to the bridge like the Habs did with the Bell Center?

Imagine Pont Quebecor, or Pont Videotron, or Pont La Belle Province or get really smart with Pont Lafleur. People will wonder is that Guy or Resto?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The common working man knows no race or distinguishing between dogscrewing mothers and the real working man. Richard was that man, that moved his furniture himself and went to the game the same night, and then proved to his bosses he could do both by having one of his best games ever~!:nod: Respect is earned, not given.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad