Proposal: New Blood

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
Think it is time to move some of the untouchable young "stars" that Hextall has been developing?

In IMHO this team is now stale, it needs a shakeup badly not more time to develop.
Talent or lack of talent is holding this team back.
I would not be adverse to trading some player(s), prospects and picks
to get a young better skilled scorer and/or a goalie.

As a big Hextall supporter, I think he needs to do a bit more to improve the Flyers this year.
Picks are important but the product on ice is putrid.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Think it is time to move some of the untouchable young "stars" that Hextall has been developing?

In IMHO this team is now stale, it needs a shakeup badly not more time to develop.

Players?

Yeah I agree. If we can change the structure of the team by pure hockey trades I am all for it.

Prospects?

Nope. Let them get their feet wet in the NHL before you trade them away. Tripods exapmle with B. Carlo is a great one.

Picks?

Prospect pool is pretty deep already. If we can add picks to make player for player trades more enticing. Yep, I'd do it.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
They have way too many bodies in respect to forwards and it will only get more crowded next season. Something will have to give.

Need to aim at adding quality though.
Signing Weise and Gordon, trading for Filppulla were already some sort of new blood infusion but that alone does not cut it.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia

As a big Hextall supporter, I think he needs to do a bit more to improve the Flyers this year.

Trading doesn't really do it these days you have to develop our own players.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

So...you want to further the decades of futility by going back to our old approach of building a team?

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Don't trade away prospects unless your getting a similar value prospect back.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Hextall were to make a major trade, the obvious chip would be Voracek.
It's simple, Giroux won't fetch much with his contract and fears about how well he'll age, Schenn will get you a second tier top 6 forward.

Voracek could fetch a big package, the reason you'd trade him is to shake the team up and to improve chemistry, while he's a top talent, he's struggled to fit the last couple years and is now off the top PP unit. If he could return a solid young center prospect and a package of draft picks, it might be a worthwhile move.

As far as trading the defensemen prospects, forget it, it would make more sense to trade Ghost because he has more trade value but less upside than Sanheim or Myers - but you'd be trading low coming off this season.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
People's lack of patience is truly astounding.

The team is not far from where they are expected. With parity, the difference between where they likely end up and the 7 or 8 seed in the playoffs is a matter of a few puck bounces.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Basically you want to **** away the last 3-4 years and re-Holmgrenize the franchise, which put us in this position.

Not very productive. Vicious cycle of mediocrity.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
OP translation... "Boo-hoo I don't like rebuilding. The hockey on my TV is boring. Make some dumb trades so we can sneak into the playoffs. I love Paul Holmgren."

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
OP translation... "Boo-hoo I don't like rebuilding. The hockey on my TV is boring. Make some dumb trades so we can sneak into the playoffs. I love Paul Holmgren."
No just trade this core and get younger and put some of our young prospects in. This same group sucks to watch and atleast with kids we get growing pains.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The lack of patience and common sense on here is honestly insane.

How shortsighted do you have to be to literally be saying that you're tired of waiting so you want change for the sake of change.

And it's not to help the team, because being patient and developing prospects is the only thing that will truly help the team. I get that the team isn't fun to watch right now, but being stupid and impatient is only going to prolong that.

It's not even like we're just about to start a rebuild and we have no promising prospects... We have lots of guys who are going to make an impact in the next couple of years and are our best/only chance at being a contender.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's simple, Giroux won't fetch much with his contract and fears about how well he'll age, Schenn will get you a second tier top 6 forward.

Voracek could fetch a big package, the reason you'd trade him is to shake the team up and to improve chemistry, while he's a top talent, he's struggled to fit the last couple years and is now off the top PP unit. If he could return a solid young center prospect and a package of draft picks, it might be a worthwhile move.

As far as trading the defensemen prospects, forget it, it would make more sense to trade Ghost because he has more trade value but less upside than Sanheim or Myers - but you'd be trading low coming off this season.

Gotta disagree. The obvious trade chip is Simmonds.

His contract ends in 2 years.
Do we want to sign Simmonds 6x6 for his 31-36 year old seasons?
His value is sky high, there would be a bidding war on him.
His cap hit means EVERY team can afford him...increasing value
You trade him for someone on the verge of breaking out, but not quite there yet.
Trading him this summer means his return is hopefully ready within 2 years, matching the kids on D.
If we wait for 2 years to trade him, then his return is likely 4 years away from helping us.

I wish Simmonds had 4 more years on his deal so this was not even a discussion. But if we are not contending the next 2 years, and we are uneasy about signing him to a big deal for his 31-36 year old seasons, you SHOULD be exploring the possibility of trading him this summer...as ****** as that is.

But I expect Hextall to keep this group together another year ad see how everything comes together with the injection of more youth on D.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Everyone just says throw the kids in. Do we not understand that if you let a kid come into the NHL early and they perform poorly it can really hurt their development. Obviously hexy doesn't put young players in unless he is sure they can play up to that level.

So let's stop throwing out "let the kids play" because as much as you want to think it is better to watch, it's not better for the organization in the long run

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Thing is Simmonds is likely to age well, because while he may have raw speed, it's not a key part of his game, so if he lost a stride or two, he'd still be a top power forward (and might improve as he develops a better mid-range shot).

Whereas as we saw this year, if Giroux loses any quickness or explosion (which he's finally getting back), he's basically useless, which doesn't bode well for the out years of his contract.

Voracek is in between, while he has the size to be an effective power forward, he's not a crease guy, he's certainly not physical (extremely low number of hits), and while he's good at puck possession he's not a goal scorer at forward. So as he loses speed, he'd have to revamp his game to remain effective in his 30s. How many players do that?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Everyone just says throw the kids in. Do we not understand that if you let a kid come into the NHL early and they perform poorly it can really hurt their development. Obviously hexy doesn't put young players in unless he is sure they can play up to that level.

So let's stop throwing out "let the kids play" because as much as you want to think it is better to watch, it's not better for the organization in the long run

Entertaining me this year is more important than the future of the franchise.
Get with the short attention span program.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Gotta disagree. The obvious trade chip is Simmonds.

His contract ends in 2 years.
Do we want to sign Simmonds 6x6 for his 31-36 year old seasons?
His value is sky high, there would be a bidding war on him.
His cap hit means EVERY team can afford him...increasing value
You trade him for someone on the verge of breaking out, but not quite there yet.
Trading him this summer means his return is hopefully ready within 2 years, matching the kids on D.
If we wait for 2 years to trade him, then his return is likely 4 years away from helping us.

I wish Simmonds had 4 more years on his deal so this was not even a discussion. But if we are not contending the next 2 years, and we are uneasy about signing him to a big deal for his 31-36 year old seasons, you SHOULD be exploring the possibility of trading him this summer...as ****** as that is.

But I expect Hextall to keep this group together another year ad see how everything comes together with the injection of more youth on D.

Thing is Simmonds is likely to age well, because while he may have raw speed, it's not a key part of his game, so if he lost a stride or two, he'd still be a top power forward (and might improve as he develops a better mid-range shot).

Whereas as we saw this year, if Giroux loses any quickness or explosion (which he's finally getting back), he's basically useless, which doesn't bode well for the out years of his contract.

Voracek is in between, while he has the size to be an effective power forward, he's not a crease guy, he's certainly not physical (extremely low number of hits), and while he's good at puck possession he's not a goal scorer at forward. So as he loses speed, he'd have to revamp his game to remain effective in his 30s. How many players do that?

I kind of agree with both of you. If we want to inject a young forward into the lineup, those are the guys that would fetch the biggest return. Simmonds is a team everyone would love to have. His numbers are steady, he scores, and his cap hit is friendly with 2 years left. Voracek is one of those guys a team could look at as someone they could build around because when he's on he's unstoppable and he's still fairly young.

I was against trading one of the big 3 for a while and now I'm coming around to the idea. The rebuild is moving a bit slower than I hoped but that was just me being overly optimistic. The thought of those guys all being on big contracts (potentially $23m per year) at the age of 30-32 during the '19-'20 season when the D core is really hitting it's stride is a concern. Having an overpaid veteran forward is fine because he provides leadership, stability, and experience while also being a solid player but having 3 guys eating up that much cap that may only be 50-65 point players by then would cause a lot of problems when they need to resign a lot of the ELCs they they'll have on the team in the next couple years.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Nonsense.

Speed was never the issue, it was just a bad slump.

Unless he was good for the first few months, suddenly got old in January/February, and is now aging backwards into youth?

Even when you were complaining about speed, that was never a legitimate complaint. It was just the team struggling to score overall (with few exceptions) and if people don't finish that means no points for a playmaker. He wasn't playing particularly well either, but even when he was doing things right he wasn't getting any payoff.

The problem is that you just can't seem to judge skating properly, as seen here and also with Simmonds and Gudas.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Nonsense.

You may be the only person who didn't see the lack of explosion in Giroux most of the season, he was never fast but depended on quickness and agility, and that was lacking most of the season.

There are slumps, and there is most of a season where he was scoring well below VdV at ES. If VdV is the "Mendoza" of hockey, what does that say about Giroux's season before the last few weeks?

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

Simmonds would be the big chip. Who wants Vorafat at over 8 million bucks a year?

As for Giroux, the guy is playing hurt. He says other wise, but look at him move and he's laboring out there and he's wincing when he does. Don't forget, Ryan Getzlaf had the exact same surgery Giroux had last season and Getzlaf went on to produce one the worst years of his career afterwards. One year after the surgery, Getzlaf bounces back and produces what's normally expected of him. I'm not worried about Giroux at all. Even hurt, he's still bringing it. Vorafat on the other hand is my biggest worry.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Because an over-30 FA with Voracek's production would cost you at least $6M a year for 5 years, while if you trade for him you're getting him in his prime seasons with a contract that expires in his early 30s, not his mid 30s.

With Simmonds, you get two bargain seasons then have to resign him in his declining years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad