New Arena next to Disney Land or renovate?

CactusCoyote

Aug 30, 2018
Discuss. Disney company has wanted to build a entertainment complex near site of DL for a long time. I also know that the ducks are happy with the POND but lets prepare for what might occur soon.

ARENA TALK in ANAHEIM!

Would you want a renovated arena? Or a new Arena near the site of Disney Land.

One topic of discussion I have heard is parking. But the great thing about DL is that they have all the infrastructure for transportation, transit, and parking.

If a team says they are going to have shuttle transportation from their car to the arena. And in most cases the team ownership fails to deliver on that promise. You know for sure an arena near Disney Land will have it.

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas
You'd think that Disney still owned the Ducks by the way this op is written.

Whether or not the Disney Corporation builds a new entertainment complex has absolutely nothing to do with the Anaheim Ducks, IMO. The very last thing this franchise wants to do is go backwards and be seen as a Disney product again.

CactusCoyote

Aug 30, 2018
You'd think that Disney still owned the Ducks by the way this op is written.

Whether or not the Disney Corporation builds a new entertainment complex has absolutely nothing to do with the Anaheim Ducks, IMO. The very last thing this franchise wants to do is go backwards and be seen as a Disney product again.

not true at all. Disney was great for the Ducks. Anaheim is all about Disney no matter if we like it or not and we shouldn't like it. WE SHOULD LOVE IT!

I got some drawings of where the arena could be built. When I get back to Anaheim area i'll distribute these on here.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
I'm pretty sure the Samuelis own the Honda Center and therefore get all the revenue from it. If so I highly doubt they would move into a Disney owned and operated facility.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Given a lot of money has been pumped into Honda Center in recent years, it's safe to say Samuelis see Honda Center as the long term home for the Ducks. Never say never, but barring someone basically building a new arena and giving it to the Samuelis for free I don't see Anaheim moving arena for the next 10+ years.

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas
I'm pretty sure the Samuelis own the Honda Center and therefore get all the revenue from it. If so I highly doubt they would move into a Disney owned and operated facility.

The city of Anaheim actually owns the facility, but the Samuelis own the company that operates it. So, essentially you're right. They don't get all the revenue, but they control it. The city gets their cut based on the lease that Samuelis' company, Anaheim Arena Management, LLC, has with them to operate it.

With all due respect to the OP, there's just no way in hell Samueli will relinquish his near-total control of the home arena of his team. He'd never make near what he makes on arena revenue going to a Disney-owned facility, and no way is Disney going to let him control their facility.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Its fine as is.... I could see the clippers potentially moving there tho if it happene.d

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Its fine as is.... I could see the clippers potentially moving there tho if it happene.d
I have read that Honda Center is not great for basketball. The dimensions don’t work as well. It’s doable (I know they have NCAA tourney stuff there sometimes) but not ideal I’ve heard

Reactions: Getz2perry

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Ponda. It’s the perfect size for a small market team like we are right now and it still holds up just fine with the new scoreboard in place
Other than the location. The location is horrible for traffic getting in and out. Being so close to Angels stadium is the height of stupidity.

Not that putting an arena near Disneyland assuages that in any way shape or form.

Reactions: AngelDuck

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Disneyland traffic is already atrocious, imagine adding a sports arena there. Doesn't make sense IMO. If anything, just keep renovating HC. If my memory serves correct they are starting to replace some of the seats already.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I have read that Honda Center is not great for basketball. The dimensions don’t work as well. It’s doable (I know they have NCAA tourney stuff there sometimes) but not ideal I’ve heard
Oh I meant the ducks stay at honda, and the clippers play at the arena near Disneyland... basketball is a bit awkward at hondacenter, and I think that has a little to do with why the clippers havnt moved over from LA... but if they built an arena for basketball as a priority I could see them consider it.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Disneyland traffic is already atrocious, imagine adding a sports arena there. Doesn't make sense IMO. If anything, just keep renovating HC. If my memory serves correct they are starting to replace some of the seats already.
Depending on the time of the year, its not like the traffic ton hondacenter is very good either... October/april get pretty rough, and honestly anything on any freeway down here sucks. Look how long it takes our stadium to fill during the playoffs due to angel games/traffic... people barly start filling the stadium up at the end of the 1st period.

Reactions: kroypuck
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The city of Anaheim actually owns the facility, but the Samuelis own the company that operates it. So, essentially you're right. They don't get all the revenue, but they control it. The city gets their cut based on the lease that Samuelis' company, Anaheim Arena Management, LLC, has with them to operate it.

With all due respect to the OP, there's just no way in hell Samueli will relinquish his near-total control of the home arena of his team. He'd never make near what he makes on arena revenue going to a Disney-owned facility, and no way is Disney going to let him control their facility.

The arena aspect is a big reason these guys buy teams in the first place, so yeah, they're absolutely not going to give up control of that.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Depending on the time of the year, its not like the traffic ton hondacenter is very good either... October/april get pretty rough, and honestly anything on any freeway down here sucks. Look how long it takes our stadium to fill during the playoffs due to angel games/traffic... people barly start filling the stadium up at the end of the 1st period.

Traffic is always a concern, but even at the 5 PM sunday games, or 8 PM playoff games, people still can't get there on time. Part of that is the socal attitude.

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Ponda. It’s the perfect size for a small market team like we are right now and it still holds up just fine with the new scoreboard in place
I'm fine with it as a fan. But our arena doesn't fit the current business model of the league in one critical way for the owner: the seating revenue from the lower bowl should cover the players' salaries (in a properly configured arena for NHL hockey). The lower bowl of the HC is too small because the upper bowl is way too big. There needs to be 9-10 thousand seats in the lower bowl.

This came up when Samueli bought the team, and Brian Burke addressed it several times with the fan base so we'd have an understanding of ownership's situation. They did an exhaustive study of the structure of the Ponda and how to make the lower bowl bigger. Unfortunately, they found that the only way to increase the size of the lower bowl would entail having to revamp the existing support of the roof structure of the building. Doing so was cost-prohibitive to the point that it wouldn't be a whole lot more expensive to raze the arena and build a new one.

Instead, they turned to increasing other revenue from the games, which resulted in the $20mil+ addition they did to the place a couple years ago.

It was also floated that this deficiency in the home barn was a major reason Samueli has directed our GM's to keep the payroll under the cap, somewhere towards the middle of the league.

Again, not to offend the OP of this thread, but neither option that was offered would work for the reasons I've outlined. The only option I can see is building a new arena. Where that would be, either staying put on the present property or elsewhere, is a whole added discussion.

(as reflected in all the arenas built after the Ponda)

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Discuss. Disney company has wanted to build a entertainment complex near site of DL for a long time. I also know that the ducks are happy with the POND but lets prepare for what might occur soon.

ARENA TALK in ANAHEIM!

Would you want a renovated arena? Or a new Arena near the site of Disney Land.

One topic of discussion I have heard is parking. But the great thing about DL is that they have all the infrastructure for transportation, transit, and parking.

If a team says they are going to have shuttle transportation from their car to the arena. And in most cases the team ownership fails to deliver on that promise. You know for sure an arena near Disney Land will have it.
I have no idea if you are making this stuff up or someone gave you really horrible information. Disney is not looking to build an entertainment district in or around the resort district. In fact, prior to to them axing their 4th hotel expansion last week, they were actually shutting down parts of Downtown Disney. The Gardenwalk was up for sale and they also passed on it. Mark this up as FAKE NEWS. The arena is in the process of adding new seats within the next couple of years. You can already see some of the new seats at the arena. Also the LA Clippers are building a brand new arena in Inglewood. There is no discussion of a new arena, especially with the hostile political climate of the Anaheim City Council as well as Mayor Tait.

Reactions: McDonald19

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I'm fine with it as a fan. But our arena doesn't fit the current business model of the league in one critical way for the owner: the seating revenue from the lower bowl should cover the players' salaries (in a properly configured arena for NHL hockey). The lower bowl of the HC is too small because the upper bowl is way too big. There needs to be 9-10 thousand seats in the lower bowl.

This came up when Samueli bought the team, and Brian Burke addressed it several times with the fan base so we'd have an understanding of ownership's situation. They did an exhaustive study of the structure of the Ponda and how to make the lower bowl bigger. Unfortunately, they found that the only way to increase the size of the lower bowl would entail having to revamp the existing support of the roof structure of the building. Doing so was cost-prohibitive to the point that it wouldn't be a whole lot more expensive to raze the arena and build a new one.

Instead, they turned to increasing other revenue from the games, which resulted in the $20mil+ addition they did to the place a couple years ago.

It was also floated that this deficiency in the home barn was a major reason Samueli has directed our GM's to keep the payroll under the cap, somewhere towards the middle of the league.

Again, not to offend the OP of this thread, but neither option that was offered would work for the reasons I've outlined. The only option I can see is building a new arena. Where that would be, either staying put on the present property or elsewhere, is a whole added discussion.

(as reflected in all the arenas built after the Ponda)
This whole concept seems crazy to me. If we were selling out every game it would make more sense but still crazy. The issue is lack of demand which results in games that arent sold out and forces us to lower our prices. Increasing the lower bowl size would reduce the size of the upper bowl and make the box section seats worse, kind of like a smaller version of the staple center. Net/net the differen e wouldnt be that big. SoCal will always be a tough sports market for live sports because traffic is horrible and there are so many other things to do but the recipe for success in SoCal is you must have a very good team over a long time and you need to nurture fans from the time they are little kids. Easier said than done but you have clear examples of success and failure because you have multiple teams per sport.

Success is seen with the Lakers, Trojans, Kings and when the teams are good Dodgers or Angels. On the contrary UCLA and the Clippers have failed.

Part of that is due to winning over a long period of time as seen with the Trojans and Lakers being historically really good teams, which transfers through generations. The Kings being here before the Ducks gave them a huge first mover advantage.

Look at the prices for tickets for the Lakers, Kings and Trojans vs Clippers Ducks and UCLA. The difference is huge. For example the Kings average ticket price is nearly 50% higher than the Ducks and the Ducks have one of the lowest average ticket prices in the league. The biggest variable for boosting ticket revenue isnt size of lower bowl but rather demand and ultimately ticket prices.

For the Ducks to do this they obviously need to win, but also nurture the next generation of Ducks fans. They have made a huge effort by building rinks and starting the high school league and they need to keep on that path if they want more ticket Revenue. High school hockey is helping to keep kids in hockey longer as opposed to playing A or AA hockey on a club team which is far more expensive and less considerate of kids' academics.

The sport has grown tremendously down here over the last 10 years and the new Irvine rink will be another great move towards growing demand and ultimately Revenue.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas
This whole concept seems crazy to me. If we were selling out every game it would make more sense but still crazy. The issue is lack of demand which results in games that arent sold out and forces us to lower our prices. Increasing the lower bowl size would reduce the size of the upper bowl and make the box section seats worse, kind of like a smaller version of the staple center. Net/net the differen e wouldnt be that big. SoCal will always be a tough sports market for live sports because traffic is horrible and there are so many other things to do but the recipe for success in SoCal is you must have a very good team over a long time and you need to nurture fans from the time they are little kids. Easier said than done but you have clear examples of success and failure because you have multiple teams per sport.

Success is seen with the Lakers, Trojans, Kings and when the teams are good Dodgers or Angels. On the contrary UCLA and the Clippers have failed.

Part of that is due to winning over a long period of time as seen with the Trojans and Lakers being historically really good teams, which transfers through generations. The Kings being here before the Ducks gave them a huge first mover advantage.

Look at the prices for tickets for the Lakers, Kings and Trojans vs Clippers Ducks and UCLA. The difference is huge. For example the Kings average ticket price is nearly 50% higher than the Ducks and the Ducks have one of the lowest average ticket prices in the league. The biggest variable for boosting ticket revenue isnt size of lower bowl but rather demand and ultimately ticket prices.

For the Ducks to do this they obviously need to win, but also nurture the next generation of Ducks fans. They have made a huge effort by building rinks and starting the high school league and they need to keep on that path if they want more ticket Revenue. High school hockey is helping to keep kids in hockey longer as opposed to playing A or AA hockey on a club team which is far more expensive and less considerate of kids' academics.

The sport has grown tremendously down here over the last 10 years and the new Irvine rink will be another great move towards growing demand and ultimately Revenue.
I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

First, the Ducks have certainly been a good and winning club, especially in the last thirteen years. Putting them in with the Clippers and UCLA, instead of the Lakers, LAK, and USC is, frankly, ridiculous. As far as winning is concerned, only the Kings have possibly won more; basically because of their two Cups. None of those teams have had the overall winning success the Ducks have had. And 13 years is plenty of time to make the comparison you're trying to make.

You bring up ticket prices, but don't seem to realize that the lower bowl issue has everything to do with that subject.

As far as nurturing fans, building rinks, promoting high school hockey, etc., the Ducks are doing that. What does that have to do with seating configuration of the HC?

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Put an arena inside Disneyland, advertise games as Disney shows, boom, captive audience.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

First, the Ducks have certainly been a good and winning club, especially in the last thirteen years. Putting them in with the Clippers and UCLA, instead of the Lakers, LAK, and USC is, frankly, ridiculous. As far as winning is concerned, only the Kings have possibly won more; basically because of their two Cups. None of those teams have had the overall winning success the Ducks have had. And 13 years is plenty of time to make the comparison you're trying to make.

You bring up ticket prices, but don't seem to realize that the lower bowl issue has everything to do with that subject.

As far as nurturing fans, building rinks, promoting high school hockey, etc., the Ducks are doing that. What does that have to do with seating configuration of the HC?
my point is increasing revenue is going to come from increasing demand, not adding a few rows to the lower bowl. That certainly wont increase avg ticket price for the whole arena by 50%.

Creating demand takes sustained winning and a rich history. 13 years is not a long time for building a fan base in my opinion. The Lakers and USC reference is an example of success that goes back to the 50s. Most new market teams struggle for a while. Just how it is.

I never said the Ducks were the Clippers, just tried to prove a point with a contrast between a team that has seen success and a team that hasnt. I'd say the Ducks have done a phenomenal job building a fan base that seems to be growing every year. They have made smart moves like focusing on growing the sport with rinks and a high school league and decided not to expand the lower bowl because it wouldnt make much sense.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

I think you are arguing against yourself with this line. They have been very successful and they still just flat out do not draw well. They struggle to get the place over 80% full at times

Adding more expensive tickets in the lower bowl will just drive more people away because of the cost.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
1. Disney had the chance to develop an entertainment center long ago when it owned the Ducks and Angels. The talk was to create ESPN HQ in Disneyland and have that as the hub, which has spoke trams going to the Angels and Ducks. It never transpired as it was costly. Disney sold the Angels and the Ducks. That ship has sailed.

2. The Honda Center nearly got it's NBA team recently, but the Mayor of Sac Town, former NBA star Kevin Johnson, bent over backwards to create a new arena for the Kings.

3. The Clippers made money by sharing Staples center with the Lakers, even with a losing season. With their new billionaire owner, Steve Ballmer, he has suggested moving the Clippers to Inglewood.

4. I love the Honda Center as it. It's quite a cozy atmosphere that's very intimate. It seats 2,000 less people than Staples Center. Staples center is cavernous, especially in the upper bowl, where "nosebleed seats" are a true saying. As for countering costs, Honda Center has been renovating it's 300 level, both inside and outside. If they can attract more businesses to buy the boxes, then it can hopefully offset some revenue. As for getting in and out of Honda Center, I don't really have a problem as I usually take Ball Rd. I exit the same way and the freeway is just right there. Of course, I never leave once the game is over. I mull around and visit the store. Then I walk back to my vehicle and drive out. It's really not that bad. Now, getting out of LA from the Staples center or Chavez Ravine, that's arduous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad