New Arena next to Disney Land or renovate?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
where did OP hear that disney is planning to build an arena near disneyland?

anyways, there is absolutely nothing wrong with HC aside from the cupholders. and like others have said, with the recent renovations in the past few years, the ducks will be playing at HC for the forseeable future. which is perfectly fine with me

its got an intimate feel to it (unlike staples) and is in a good location right off the freeway with plenty of spots to eat/drink before/after within a 5 minute drive. and unlike downtown arenas, i can get into my car, drive to one of the $10 lots on katella, and walk to the arena without having to leave hours early to deal with horrendous traffic

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
I just wish there was a bit more to do within walking distance of Honda, but that doesn't require a new arena.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
I think HC is fine as is...IF, and its a BIG if they were to build a new arena, i would guess it would be built in the Irvine area...outside of not having a "downtown" vibe around the arena (which i dont care about), it is a great set up.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
HC is going to be the ducks home for a long time (and im perfectly fine with that)

yes, i wish there was more to do within walking distance of the arena but that's just how it is when your arena is not in a downtown setting

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
If they keep building apartments and condos we will continue getting more food options. If there was one thing I would do it would be a river revitalization. They were considering one in dtla but the gist of it is you dam it up a bit and make it look more like a lake with tons of awesome green space around it and walkways, throw in some condos and a riverfront area with restaurants like what they in San antonio.

On am unrelated note I agree with the poster above who said he prefers hc to the staples center. I absolutely love the intimate feel of a smaller arena. the 200 level has amazing views. We just need a better lights and sound like they have at staples. Big arenas are mostly a negative for the fans.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
HC is going to be the ducks home for a long time (and im perfectly fine with that)

yes, i wish there was more to do within walking distance of the arena but that's just how it is when your arena is not in a downtown setting
They are building a retail, entertainment, condo, hotel complex on the corner of Orangewood and St College called LT Platinum Center. Too bad its on the other side of the 57.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I think you are arguing against yourself with this line. They have been very successful and they still just flat out do not draw well. They struggle to get the place over 80% full at times

Adding more expensive tickets in the lower bowl will just drive more people away because of the cost.

True, in general people won't pay lower bowl prices for hockey in Orange County, and this is with a good economy (just wait for the upcoming recession). Everyone loves the upper bowl though. Good prices and sight lines.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Is this a joke?

Samueli just poured a bunch of cash into Honda Center renovation.
It appears the OP made this stuff up. I follow a lot of the stuff that's going on between Anaheim, Disney, and the Resort District and this was never brought up. Honda Center's sponsors lease is up pretty soon and so they will be getting a ton of money from either Honda or a new corporate sponsor and also the venue will be hosting Volleyball for the 2028 Olympics.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
They are building a retail, entertainment, condo, hotel complex on the corner of Orangewood and St College called LT Platinum Center. Too bad its on the other side of the 57.

It's only taken them 12 years ... The "A-town" lot on the southwest corner of state college and katella is still a ghost town. I remember going to open house at Stadium Loft back in 07 when the sub prime bullshit was going on and they were trying to pass off those tiny condos at Stadium Loft for 700k. There was even plans for a walking path/foot bridge over Katella so you could walk to downtown disney. Someone is asleep at the wheel on the city council apparently.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
It's only taken them 12 years ... The "A-town" lot on the southwest corner of state college and katella is still a ghost town. I remember going to open house at Stadium Loft back in 07 when the sub prime bull**** was going on and they were trying to pass off those tiny condos at Stadium Loft for 700k. There was even plans for a walking path/foot bridge over Katella so you could walk to downtown disney. Someone is asleep at the wheel on the city council apparently.
Chapman College recently bought one of those new apartment complexes and converted them over to student housing. I don't know who would want to live in the Platinum Triangle now when there's not much within walking distance. At this current time the city council and mayor are extremely hostile. Luckily elections are coming up in November and so you'll get a new mayor and some new city council members. There is talks of Moreno also putting money into renovating the Big A so we will see how that goes. I remember a long time ago there were plans to build an entertainment complex behind Honda Center where that Corporate Business park is now.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Maybe it changed since last time Is as in Anaheim but there are plenty of land around the Pond and Angels Stadium. But is Samueli willing to fund it privately?

That question will eventually have to be crossed but right now, Pond seems to be ok.

With new Clippers arena coming, is it insane to ask whether that might eventually even be a slight possibility if things go haywire?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
What needs to happen is Moreno and Samueli need to come together and invest in the surroundings of their stadiums. It could do both of them a lot of good to make the area more happening for the younger crowd.

And it makes a lot of sense for them to go in on it together since they will both be benefitting

Reactions: Ducks DVM

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
How interested is Moreno in developing the surrounding area of Angel Stadium though? I know they said (maybe last year?) that they weren't going to activate the 2019 opt out to leave Angel Stadium but I seem to recall they've been pushing pretty hard for a while now to move to Tustin (I think). I know the lease runs until the late 20's if opt out doesn't happen, but I'm not sure they'll still be there by the late 20's tbh so Moreno might not be interested in dropping much money in at all.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
How interested is Moreno in developing the surrounding area of Angel Stadium though? I know they said (maybe last year?) that they weren't going to activate the 2019 opt out to leave Angel Stadium but I seem to recall they've been pushing pretty hard for a while now to move to Tustin (I think). I know the lease runs until the late 20's if opt out doesn't happen, but I'm not sure they'll still be there by the late 20's tbh so Moreno might not be interested in dropping much money in at all.
Moreno is an idiot that tries to chase the money like he did when he changed the teams name to LA so nothing would surprise me really. I wouldn’t put it past him to try to move the team to DT LA

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Hopefully Moreno sells the Angels soon. Does Samueli have the money and interest to own both the Ducks and Angels? I know he is more of a basketball guy.

Reactions: AngelDuck

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
You think we could get urinals with LEDs that change color depending on the alcoholic content of your pee?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
a LA Live type complex near HC would be perfect and really help elevate the experience of going to a ducks game

too bad there's no room within walking distance of the arena to do that. the closest would be that massive empty lot down st. college past angels stadium that's been empty forever

i've also heard of the lt platinum center project but again, that's not within walking distance of the HC

Reactions: SirQuacksAlot

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
The Ducks in mid 2016 were planning on completely renovating the Ducks locker room. Now with the seat replacements taking place, I doubt the Ducks are leaving HC any time soon

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
I recall locker room being renovated recently... I could be wrong though.

My wife worked for the architectural firm that did the Grand Terrace and they placed a bid on the locker room job. My wife left for maternity leave and round up not going back before everything was settled.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->