Never ending Myers rumors Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I think Pulkkinen will be a top-6 winger but I'm just not sure how much of his offense will translate. He scores so many goals by just blasting it past the goalie. Not sure if he can do that consistently in the NHL as the goalies are better, but mostly because it's going to be much harder for him to get in a position to use that shot. How will he adapt to that? His two-way game is still an unknown too. Not exactly a super sophisticated scouting report, I know, but it's just what I've seen in my limited viewings of GR.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Might as well shut down the boards. Apparently liking a kid when he was 19, and seeing that his development has gone great isn't enough around here. Nope, you have to be studying film on these guys on a regular basis. Only Jame and Sabrebuild are qualified. Everyone else, stop posting.

I feel bad that you just want to deflect rather than have an honest conversation about why we should want a player or not. To me that conversation is more interesting if you have some real reason to want such a player, rather than vague comments about the Detroit way and he scored in the AHL.

Zero for example has stated that he doesn't skate well. That is a big concern for an undersized player. Do you think he is wrong? You could even just go to Detroit's board and ask people who have watched him play a lot what they think of the guy. That would at least be some good secondary information. Which I just did while writing this. They like him. They are very happy with his growth since he was a 4th round pick. They think he might play third line wing next year if some people get moved. They comment about how his skating is going to be a real limitation to his game. He likes to shoot more than set up.

It wasn't that hard to find some information, but you would rather not do that and just complain when people ask questions.

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Trading Myers to Detroit doesn't make much sense to me. They have pieces I like, but not for Myers. In a Myers trade we need to get a big time D back to take his minutes, shelter the young guys. But in that case, why even bother? That's why Fowler+ is really the only offer that interests me remotely. If we get McEichel, our center depth will be fabulous, and with Myers our D should be great as well. Don't see much upside in moving Myers, unless it's a deal that's too good to turn down. Oh, and moving Reinhart would be ****ing stupid at this point..

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
you're crazy

Murray said---and Im sure someone else can reference the quote exactly---that basically anyone was available for the right price. That the phone lines are open and he will listen. Dont mean he is shopping Myers--big difference.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Funny, people said the same thing about Tatar. Not surprisingly, when this was brought up last season and I pushed for Tatar, many (including you know who) thought I was out of my mind. Now, I don't think Detroit trades Tatar for Myers straight up.

You are still out of your mind if you would trade Myers for Tatar

ZeroPT*

Just a solid offensive player. Not flashy. Good hands, strong stick, good vision. Gets the job done.

Yeah I like Hodgson too.
Like I have said, Pulkkinen's skating is absolutely horrible. It's the main reason why I think he won't pan out.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I feel bad that you just want to deflect rather than have an honest conversation about why we should want a player or not. To me that conversation is more interesting if you have some real reason to want such a player, rather than vague comments about the Detroit way and he scored in the AHL.

Zero for example has stated that he doesn't skate well. That is a big concern for an undersized player. Do you think he is wrong? You could even just go to Detroit's board and ask people who have watched him play a lot what they think of the guy. That would at least be some good secondary information. Which I just did while writing this. They like him. They are very happy with his growth since he was a 4th round pick. They think he might play third line wing next year if some people get moved. They comment about how his skating is going to be a real limitation to his game. He likes to shoot more than set up.

It wasn't that hard to find some information, but you would rather not do that and just complain when people ask questions.

His skating is bad. There's no way around it.
His shot is elite. His future lies on the PP. He doesn't have the skating or the hands to get his shot off in traffic
His 2 way game doesn't exist.
He's a goal scorer, who will be limited at the NHL level.

One dimensional doesn't work in today's NHL.

I would view Pulkkinen's future as a smaller/softer Ales Kotalik. He may stick around for awhile with his shot... but he'll never be much more than a tertiary piece, regardless of a 20 goal season here or there.

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I think Pulkkinen will be a top-6 winger but I'm just not sure how much of his offense will translate. He scores so many goals by just blasting it past the goalie. Not sure if he can do that consistently in the NHL as the goalies are better, but mostly because it's going to be much harder for him to get in a position to use that shot. How will he adapt to that? His two-way game is still an unknown too. Not exactly a super sophisticated scouting report, I know, but it's just what I've seen in my limited viewings of GR.

Wings fan coming in peace here. The people that watch the AHL games on the Wings board stated that, he gets most of his goals with his wrist shot, but people like to focus on his slapper so much because of its power. When he was sent back down, he was given a list of things to work on, and most Wings fans will agree that those things are shot selection and timing his shot. 2 things that can be fixed very easily. He plays with heart and determination with every shift. His size doesn't seem to hinder him as much as people would think.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
His skating is bad. There's no way around it.
His shot is elite. His future lies on the PP. He doesn't have the skating or the hands to get his shot off in space.
His 2 way game doesn't exist.
He's a goal scorer, who will be limited at the NHL level.

One dimensional doesn't work in today's NHL.

I would view Pulkkinen's future as a smaller/softer Ales Kotalik. He may stick around for awhile with his shot... but he'll never be much more than a tertiary piece, regardless of a 20 goal season here or there.

From your extensive GR viewings, of course.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
From your extensive GR viewings, of course.

extensive? it's never extensive. but i took the time to get some GR viewings in during the height of the Detroit/Myers rumors. a period here, a game there. standard.

so getting back to player assessments. you like to say that you were right about Hodgson, i find it difficult to take you seriously when you had such an up front negative opinion about Hodgson (related to skating, and defensive play), and yet... you actually like Pulkkinen who makes Hodgson look like a gazelle and is equally unaware and lacks engagement defensively.

it reeks of picking opinions out of thin air.

If the Sabres had a deep, young contender, I'd actually have no problem with Pulkkinen as a depth scorer, PP catalyst a la Kotalik in the Co-caps era. But as 1 of 2 pieces in return for Myers, it's an abomination.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
extensive? it's never extensive. but i took the time to get some GR viewings in during the height of the Detroit/Myers rumors. a period here, a game there. standard.

so getting back to player assessments. you like to say that you were right about Hodgson, i find it difficult to take you seriously when you had such an up front negative opinion about Hodgson (related to skating, and defensive play), and yet... you actually like Pulkkinen who makes Hodgson look like a gazelle and is equally unaware and lacks engagement defensively.

it reeks of picking opinions out of thin air.

If the Sabres had a deep, young contender, I'd actually have no problem with Pulkkinen as a depth scorer, PP catalyst a la Kotalik in the Co-caps era. But as 1 of 2 pieces in return for Myers, it's an abomination.

You think this is all that makes Hodgson so frustrating?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Pulkkinen is not a major part in a package for your best player when your best player is 25 and under contract long-term. Pulkkinen is not Nyquist.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Stokes, man. You need to chill on the trade proposals. You're coming off like the spawn of MacT & Mike Milbury.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I'll chime in here since I do. The answer is that Pulkkinen as a centerpiece for Myers is BRUTAL. Not saying he is a bad player, but in no way would I ever consider that.

If a deal is made with Detroit, he's probably involved and he absolutely should be. If the Sabres can get Pulkkinen and either Ouellet (preferably) or Marchenko, that's a good basis for a deal. Whether there's a pick included or another player, who knows. All three guys mentioned are NHL ready and all three are not flip of the coin prospects. They are NHL players. The two young D are ten year players. Ouellet has a chance to be a pretty special player when all is said and done. Pulkinnen was one of those high reward picks Detroit makes where the "if he develops this way" always seem to work out in their favor and we're obviously seeing it right now with him. In his brief stint with the Wings this year, he was on the puck constantly and made things happen. He's definitely going to be a player in the league.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If a deal is made with Detroit, he's probably involved and he absolutely should be. If the Sabres can get Pulkkinen and either Ouellet (preferably) or Marchenko, that's a good basis for a deal. Whether there's a pick included or another player, who knows. All three guys mentioned are NHL ready and all three are not flip of the coin prospects. They are NHL players. The two young D are ten year players. Ouellet has a chance to be a pretty special player when all is said and done. Pulkinnen was one of those high reward picks Detroit makes where the "if he develops this way" always seem to work out in their favor and we're obviously seeing it right now with him. In his brief stint with the Wings this year, he was on the puck constantly and made things happen. He's definitely going to be a player in the league.

I'd quit this team if anything close to that happened.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
He isn't getting moved, I think everyone truly knows this.

Great, lets Officer Barbrady this thread and move on to something more important. Far too much time was wasted in this thread tonight. I can't wait for the Tyler Myers rumour thread Part 12 in 2017.

In all honesty there has to be someone starting all of these rumours (Murray) because too many different reporters are mentioning his name being linked to various teams. If HFB were NHL reporters then yes there would be idiotic trade rumours being reported daily however for this many different people over such a long period of time to mention Myers availability and various teams' interest there is more to the story than Murray simply stating that any player is available if he thinks the trade improves the team.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Great, lets Officer Barbrady this thread and move on to something more important. Far too much time was wasted in this thread tonight. I can't wait for the Tyler Myers rumour thread Part 12 in 2017.

In all honesty there has to be someone starting all of these rumours (Murray) because too many different reporters are mentioning his name being linked to various teams. If HFB were NHL reporters then yes there would be idiotic trade rumours being reported daily however for this many different people over such a long period of time to mention Myers availability and various teams' interest there is more to the story than Murray simply stating that any player is available if he thinks the trade improves the team.

No, there really doesn't. Myers is just a cookie-cutter case of a good player on a bad team, the part of the usual formula for most major trades. Most of the time the player in question is either old or a pending UFA, though. But the sports media doesn't care about making sense, they just need to babble about things enough to fill the 24 hour news cycle. Tossing out Myers' name in any Buffalo trade rumor is just reflexive for them at this point.

Case in point, Myers to Winnipeg yesterday. Given their situation at RHD already, it makes no sense for Winnipeg to target Myers in any trade. The real story was just that Buffalo had shown interest in Kane, which does make sense. But because it was Buffalo, Bob literally could not help himself and herp derped about Myers because whythehellnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad