Online Series: Netflix: Umbrella Academy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Watched the first ep yesterday...VERY excited to continue watching this, great job setting up the series.

I had no idea Tom Hopper was a lead character in this either, absolutely loved him in Black Sails.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Watched all of it as someone who read the comics. It's basically if you melded X-Men with Watchmen.

It's got some flaws here and there but overall I was entertained by it. I was also surprised that pretty much all the performances were strong.

I think it remained pretty faithful to the tone and style of the comics overall.

Last edited:

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Watched all of it as someone who read the comics. It's basically if you melded X-Men with Watchmen.

It's got some flaws here and there but overall I was entertained by it. I was also surprised that pretty much all the performances were strong.

I think it remained pretty faithful to the tone and style of the comics overall.

How accurate was it to the comics? What were the differences?

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I thought the kid playing Number 5 hit it out of the park. To me, he was the most interesting character on the show.

He was by far the best. Thought the guy who played Luther wasn’t that great and could have been better. Everyone else was perfect for their roles.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
How accurate was it to the comics? What were the differences?
Quite a lot actually. It was such a long time ago that when I went through it I felt like it was completely accurate but when I went through the synopsis of Apocalypse Suite I was pretty amazed at how bad my memory had been.

Presuming you've already gone through the series:

Off the top of my head

Differences:

-Number 5 didn't disappear as some random experiment into his own powers. He accidentally jumped into the future while the Umbrella Academy was fighting the zombie of Gustave Eiffel who turned the Eiffel tower into a killing machine. Everything else about his venture into the apocalypse and return to the past was more or less kept the same. Though his approach to stopping the apocalypse was different. Also the apocalypse was supposed to happen within three days, not eight.

-Luther was not sent to the moon as some way to just waste his time.

-The guy who provoked Vanya's powers and evil turn was not some scorned Umbrella Academy super fan. It was more of a legit mustache twirling villain who was the head of the orchestra with a plan to destroy the world. As I recall, the organization in charge of timeline regulation had nothing to do with it. But in any case, Vanya's descent to her villainous path was much quicker. Like three comics worth and it was pretty much Diego telling her she was a liability. The Conductor took advantage of her being let down and actually changed her form physically with some psychotic surgery to make her look like a human white violin. Something that never happened in the show.

-There wasn't any real love connection between Allison and Luther. It was kind of implied that they had a closer bond but I can't remember any true romance.

-Pogo's death was way different

-"Mom's" role in everything wasn't as important.

-The final fight was done much differently, but it's kind of understandable why. The Seance (Klaus) didn't channel number 6 to fight back against Vanya, he actually conjured a famous deceased orchestra to play music to counteract Vanya's music and suppress its destructive effect

Things that I remember being kept the same...well just one off the top of me head

-Vanya did in fact slash Allison's throat and she did survive but there wasn't an implication that her voice might return like in the show.

-The general blueprint of the story with Hargreeves adopting the children, dying to bring them back together and Vanya being the source of the apocalypse that number 5. The general outline of the plot was pretty much the same.

Reactions: varsaku

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com

I'm trying to read this thread without reading too much because I haven't read the comics and I'm only on episode 4; but I thought you were dead-on with your comparison to Watchmen/X-Men. I was telling my friends that I loved that it had a more gritty feel like Watchmen. I think all the Netflix superhero shows have that feel, and I feel like that makes them more 'real'.

Reactions: HanSolo and varsaku

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm trying to read this thread without reading too much because I haven't read the comics and I'm only on episode 4; but I thought you were dead-on with your comparison to Watchmen/X-Men. I was telling my friends that I loved that it had a more gritty feel like Watchmen. I think all the Netflix superhero shows have that feel, and I feel like that makes them more 'real'.
I don't know if all superhero media should have that feel, but it certainly works for the Umbrella Academy. In any event, this show is better than the attempted Watchmen adaptation.

And I'd go one step further and say that perhaps it's a good thing that the Netflix adaptation of the comics was a little less dark.

He was by far the best. Thought the guy who played Luther wasn’t that great and could have been better. Everyone else was perfect for their roles.

In fairness, Luther is kind of boring in the comics as well.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Tom Hopper was excellent. He had a tough role to play as some weirdo antisocial monster and he did his role great. His character just doesn't have a lot of personalty like the other ones (aside from the girl but she was fantastic too) but you can't fault his acting on that, that's the role he was given.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Tom Hopper was excellent. He had a tough role to play as some weirdo antisocial monster and he did his role great. His character just doesn't have a lot of personalty like the other ones (aside from the girl but she was fantastic too) but you can't fault his acting on that, that's the role he was given.
I second this. From what I remember from the comics, Luther was even more boring. The whole point to his character is he's the one member of the group that kept on following orders and trying to make Hargreeves proud. A stereotypical captain basically. He did just fine and was strong in the moments that that side of his character started to break down.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I second this. From what I remember from the comics, Luther was even more boring. The whole point to his character is he's the one member of the group that kept on following orders and trying to make Hargreeves proud. A stereotypical captain basically. He did just fine and was strong in the moments that that side of his character started to break down.
I just finished up the ep with him at the club...oh man :laugh:

Reactions: HanSolo

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
This was a dope series. I am looking forward to season 2.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
On episode 8. Generally liking the season a bit more but there are going be a lot of jokes made about the number of music montages in this show. It gets worse as teh season progresses. There's one like every 10 minutes.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So season 3 dropped and I watched the first episode and I am not sure what to think. This new group of Sparrow Academy and them now existing in the same universe. One of them being a fringing living box?

odd stuff even for this show so far lol.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't think this show was released at the right time. It's squeezed in between the downtime of Stranger Things, just follows Kenobi and is competing with Ms. Marvel which is really good, and the Boys which is arguably having its best season yet.

I admit I grew up on My Chemical Romance inspiring me to get into more rock subgenres so I was an avid reader of the comics through wanting to support and consume any creative works by Gerard Way. I'd go get new issues as soon as they released. But even with that nostalgia backing me, I'm probably going to put this season off for a while with all the TV sucking my interest away. Plus, especially with the Boys I can't watch a superhero show concurrently that I know isn't going to be as good..

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad