Waived: Nestrasil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Pulks and Jurco was pretty much a for fun thought. I brought up the point of making room for XO since Smith is out; This is a much more likely scenario.

But for the sake of fun:

Z - Pav - Mule
Tats - Sheahan - Nyquist
Jurco - Helm - Pulks
Miller - Glendening - Abdelkader

I like the pieces in that lineup.

God, if only Weiss could play the 2C we needed this team could be a legitimate contender.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So we just sent down Nestrasil because he wasn't good enough? Not because they want to make room for someone else? Unless I'm forgetting someone now we will only have one healthy scratch forward each game (Cleary).

Weiss has to be at non-IR status for a conditioning assigment. That's why Nestrasil was waived to make a free roster spot.

Detroit Sports*

Basically we lose Nestrasil to essentially "protect" Cleary? No one would claim
Him kenny! And if they did who ****ing cares???!!!

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Basically we lose Nestrasil to essentially "protect" Cleary? No one would claim
Him kenny! And if they did who ****ing cares???!!!

I think it has more to do with Nestrasil needing to play and develop more in Grand Rapids than it is protecting Cleary.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What if another team claims him?

Then the World is gonna end?

I don't see anything impressive to be lost on Nestrasil if someone claims him. He is another Emmerton/Mursak/Ritola in the big picture. But Grand Rapids will need help at the center core and that's where he will help the organization most, in the near future.

I'm nothing than happy than one forward body is off in front of promoting Pulkkinen at next. Teemu if somebody is ready for the show.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
What if another team claims him?

I think a team will only claim him if they feel they need a bottom-six winger immediately. I don't think a team can claim him then send him to the minors immediately. He has to stay up a certain amount of time, I believe.

Detroit Sports*

Did you see anything in Nestrasil that said "we can't afford to lose this player for nothing"?

If it's him or cleary to be exposed who do you choose?

I don't see anything impressive to be lost on Nestrasil if someone claims him. He is another Emmerton/Mursak/Ritola in the big picture. But Grand Rapids will need help at the center core and that's where he will help the organization most, in the near future.

I'm nothing than happy than one forward body is off in front of promoting Pulkkinen at next. Teemu if somebody is ready for the show.

The world is going to end? How about putting a absolutely useless player like Cleary on waivers before him. Never said he is a world beater but Cleary is "next man down" IMO...

Last edited by a moderator:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The world is going to end? How about putting a absolutely useless player like Cleary on waivers before him.

What don't you understand? They'd rather have Nestrasil playing games in Grand Rapids. Him sitting in the press box isn't going to help his career. If he gets claimed, well then hopefully he'll get an opportunity on a new team. It has nothing to do with them choosing Cleary over him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The world is going to end? How about putting a absolutely useless player like Cleary on waivers before him. Never said he is a world beater but Cleary is "next man down" IMO...

Cleary is signed to sit on the bench and be a short-term injury replacement.

And "totally useless" Cleary has scored 1+1 on 4 games with a team-lowest ice-time.

What don't you understand? They'd rather have Nestrasil playing games in Grand Rapids. Him sitting in the press box isn't going to help his career. If he gets claimed, well then hopefully he'll get an opportunity on a new team. It has nothing to do with them choosing Cleary over him.

Pretty much this.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013

I agree with you on Pulu. Been watching the grifs a little more this year and I feel like Pulu has a game that translates well to NHL. And that shot!

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Nestrasil > Cleary.

Waive Cleary.

Nestrasil is doing not a single bit of good in the NHL right now, and that has had him sitting on the bench. He has been given ample opportunity, including on the power play, and he has done nothing with it.

I'd rather have Cleary in the press box and Nestrasil on the ice in GR rather than vice versa.

Where would Pulks play? Without injuries, he got no spot at all.

As it should be. As Pulkkinen proved during the preseason, he isn't ready for the NHL. He's dominant in the AHL, sure. At the NHL level, he's the hockey equivalent of Steve Novak: he's an excellent shooter and a decent passer, but he's not very effective otherwise. That needs to change if he's to make anything of himself in the big league.

I don't have a problem with Nestrasil being waived, but it looks hilarious when you still have Dan Cleary on this team.

Cleary hasn't been half as dreadful as I believed he would be. He's surprisingly quick on his skates this season, which is to say that he is not dreadfully slow anymore, but simply very average.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I agree with you on Pulu. Been watching the grifs a little more this year and I feel like Pulu has a game that translates well to NHL. And that shot!

Funny, part of me thinks just the opposite. He certainly deserves an honest opportunity to prove himself at the NHL level, but I don't see his game translating all that well. I question whether he is a little too one dimensional for the NHL game and am not sold on his ability to make things happen for himself at the next level. Strangely, I think it is less about size, skill and skating and more about how he plays the game. His game to me requires time and space; two things that are hard to come by at the next level. I do think he would immediately help the PP, but is that enough to carve out a career? Anyways, he deserves the first call up for sure and hopefully he proves my skepticism wrong.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Meh. He wasn't anything special. My issue with the Wings handling of prospects early in their careers is usually the quality of the opportunity given, and I think playing ~11 minutes a night with 2:21 in average PP time while playing with the likes of Abby, Tatar, Jurco, and Sheahan (for the most part) over 13 games is a good opportunity to show your worth. He really didn't do that. He could still improve, but I wouldn't be pissed if he were claimed.

And normally I would say there is little chance he'd be claimed, but the Pens announcing that Pascal Dupuis will be out for 6 months with a blood clot in his lung the same time Nesty goes on waivers is kind of unfortunate. Pittsburgh isn't exactly drowning in wingers. Maybe they'll opt for an experiment with Nestrasil while they pursue better long-term substitution options on the market.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yep. Nestrasil has been given a shot and while he's a nice player, he's not a bonafide NHL'er. There's no question Jurco is an NHL'er, he just needs to develop and that's best done in Detroit.

I think Nestrasil showed that he was an NHLer, just not a special one. And we have a number of not special NHLers already, so he's a bit redundant. Get him on a club that's not as deep, or that needs some cost controlled guys to fill out a lineup, and I think he'll definitely find a spot.

With Jurco, we'll see how much bloom is still on that rose if he goes another 15 games before scoring his next goal.

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007

Hopefully he's better than last year. I realize he's playing really well in the AHL but his game seems very one dimensional. The game in the NHL moves too fast for someone who's main trick is a heavy slap shot from the circle. He tried to do that in his call up last year and the pace was just too fast for him to use that trick and the goalies saw it coming every time. I worry that he's maybe a little too predictable and can't shoot the puck fast enough to be effective.

I hope I'm wrong, as I haven't actually watched him this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad