NESN- Will they improve the picture for games?

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
I think it's time you run for president dude. Considering you can do everything better than anyone. Go for it.

If I had a reasonable chance of being elected. I don't support a plutocracy, however, so the likelihood is very small. I am smart and incredibly competent, I can perform these kinds of jobs well. The Boston Bruins would be lucky to have me. If only I could have gotten an interview for Bruins GM.

Something like changing the NESN production would be so easy, and it would start with changing the ice reporter, getting sound and video closer to the action on the power play (to start with), and working on offering an uncensored feed (note that probably would take some work), which would be unparalleled in popularity. Simple things you can do tomorrow. And some of the things they have done are on the right track, such as Andy Brickley breaking down the play during the intermission. I think you can bring that kind of analysis right to the broadcast. Advanced metrics need to be more accessible during the broadcast. Score and time bar can be modernized.

Yeti of the Flow

Jun 9, 2011
Boston
I don't know why people complain about the cameras. The only cameras they need to fix are the horrible non-default angles. By fix I mean eliminate. They're terrible and only hurt everyone's ability to properly follow the action.

The audio is never a problem, and if it is, you should improve your own sound system.

The ticker? Fair. That sucks, but it also doesn't majorly detract from anything.

Compare angles and audio in this video.

We see less glass, which is better. We hear our announcers clearly over the ice sound, without losing ice sound, which is necessary and telling of the best production.

Seriously, the ticker is the only negative.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
All tickers and watermarks should be illegal.

Try watching a game in CBS when they have the school closing ticker on too. I emailed a complaint about it. it serious took up 20% of the picture.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Someone recently told me how state of the art NESNS production van is

Well that's all fine and good, still doesn't pass the eye test. Their video production could be better, it's not as sharp or vibrant as other networks I've seen broadcast HD hockey, and the sound definitely is lacking

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Are bruins games in 1080p or is it 720? My last tv was 1080 but a sad 60hz so I really can't comment... the new one will put nesn to the test.

I watch so much more nesn hockey than anything else I learn to block out things I don't like, like the ticker and some of whatever it is jack is saying, its when things change and there's a new ticker or a new person talking about nothing I want to hear I get annoyed. More ice/fan/player noise would be nice.

Skrimps

Jul 10, 2015
I wish they'd remove that stupid ticker at the bottom. I love when the game is on NBC/NBCSN for the sole reason that I don't see that stupid ticker.

They should improve the sound quality, it's not very good.

Picture quality is OK but it's not as nice as the NBC feed. They should work to improve the picture quality especially with 4k around the corner.

It would also be nice if they'd keep all Bruins games on NESN and not NESN plus when the Sox happen to be on but this will never happen.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
I don't know why people complain about the cameras. The only cameras they need to fix are the horrible non-default angles. By fix I mean eliminate. They're terrible and only hurt everyone's ability to properly follow the action.

The audio is never a problem, and if it is, you should improve your own sound system.

The ticker? Fair. That sucks, but it also doesn't majorly detract from anything.

Compare angles and audio in this video.

We see less glass, which is better. We hear our announcers clearly over the ice sound, without losing ice sound, which is necessary and telling of the best production.

Seriously, the ticker is the only negative.

My only problem with the NESN cameras is that the producer feels the need to constantly change the angles. It's incredibly distracting and I'd prefer them to just keep it zoomed out for the entire game.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I wish they'd remove that stupid ticker at the bottom. I love when the game is on NBC/NBCSN for the sole reason that I don't see that stupid ticker.

They should improve the sound quality, it's not very good.

Picture quality is OK but it's not as nice as the NBC feed. They should work to improve the picture quality especially with 4k around the corner.

It would also be nice if they'd keep all Bruins games on NESN and not NESN plus when the Sox happen to be on but this will never happen.

Yeah, it's the 80/20 rule - 80% of NESN is owned by the Sox, and just 20% by the B's, so we get screwed.

I wish they'd at least slap on the preseason games on NESN+, because the way this baseball season's going, I don't think anyone's going to be interested in the Sox by September. I can understand preseason < regular season < post season in terms of programming, but we always get screwed in April when the Sox come back.

Fortunately, this year there's not much of an issue. As usual, Sox regular season will end before the B's start, and NESN doesn't get the Sox post-season (although they probably do get tiebreakers - do they get wildcards?). In April, the Sox are supposedly opening in Cleveland from 4/4-4/6, and then playing in Toronto from 4/8-4/10. Only one game is a conflict: the Canes game on 4/5. Neither team will want a Tuesday afternoon game, although stuff like that happens all the time in the MLB.

For the other games after the Sox come back, the Sox don't play on the same day as our game on 4/7, and the season-closing B's weekend game on 4/9 can easily be bumped from 12:30 to 3 or 7 depending on when the Sox play.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Are there any production pros here who might weigh in on the quality of NESN Bruins broadcasts?

The big problem for me since the Fleece Center opened has been that the cameras are so far away (I guess) that the players often look tiny. Maybe they want to show viewers what's going on across the sheet, but it doesn't exactly pull you into the game.

There are a number of factors involved and I will try to address a few.

Camera positions at TD are as good or better as any rink in the NHL. It is impossible to recreate the angles of the old Garden.

The big problem in Boston is the freelancers who work hockey tend to bid on the out of town feeds including NBC simply because in most cases they pay more than NESN does. Some of the crew goes back to the old WSBK days and they are as good as anyone in the US. Simple fact, crew working a telecast back to Nashville is getting paid more than what NESN pays.

Graphics are way overdue for a major redesign. They have not been updated since 2009-10
IEuiJGf.png

The ticker drives everyone nuts but because NESN has a partnership with FOX Sports their mandate is to run a ticker. NESN could use the current FOX graphics package but elects to use their own template from 6 seasons ago. Why hasn't it been updated? $$$$$

Audio - The echo (especially when going to Jim Martin on the PA and Rene on the anthem) is inexcusable. It isn't the truck as the Game Creek Video truck that is used on NESN home games is as good as any in the industry.

TD Garden has some issues. Hockey looks OK but TNT and ESPN despise coming to Boston for the NBA as the ribbon advertising boards on the facade have a horrible glare on the court you don't see elsewhere.

Last edited:

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Are bruins games in 1080p or is it 720? My last tv was 1080 but a sad 60hz so I really can't comment... the new one will put nesn to the test.

I watch so much more nesn hockey than anything else I learn to block out things I don't like, like the ticker and some of whatever it is jack is saying, its when things change and there's a new ticker or a new person talking about nothing I want to hear I get annoyed. More ice/fan/player noise would be nice.

I'm pretty good about ignoring the ticker, so that doesn't bother me.
The ice noise level (skates, etc.) is fine - one really doesn't notice it in the rink, so it shouldn't be too loud in the broadcast. The crowd levels should be higher, though. TD crowd isn't typically too loud, but they aren't mouse-quiet either.
The overall clarity and reliability of sound needs to be better.

My biggest problem is programming. Red Sox always trump Bruins, preseason games aren't shown, but Charlie Moore is inescapable - does anyone actually watch that? If the Bruins were always shown on NESN+, including some preseason, I'd be satisfied. The channel number is meaningless to me - access is my peeve.

FRANK CANNON

May 1, 2015
SoCal
I would trade the highest of HD to have Fred and Johnny back. Not knocking Jack and Brick, I think they do a great job.

But those guys were the best.

FRANK CANNON

May 1, 2015
SoCal
I think it's time you run for president dude. Considering you can do everything better than anyone. Go for it.

If I had a reasonable chance of being elected. I don't support a plutocracy, however, so the likelihood is very small. I am smart and incredibly competent, I can perform these kinds of jobs well. The Boston Bruins would be lucky to have me. If only I could have gotten an interview for Bruins GM.

Something like changing the NESN production would be so easy, and it would start with changing the ice reporter, getting sound and video closer to the action on the power play (to start with), and working on offering an uncensored feed (note that probably would take some work), which would be unparalleled in popularity. Simple things you can do tomorrow. And some of the things they have done are on the right track, such as Andy Brickley breaking down the play during the intermission. I think you can bring that kind of analysis right to the broadcast. Advanced metrics need to be more accessible during the broadcast. Score and time bar can be modernized.

Might I ask what you are doing at the moment?

Gotta figure it's interesting considering your Brock Holt like flexibility. President of the USA, GM of the Bruins, NESN producer. Where is your ceiling bro?

Truly a renaissance man.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I would trade the highest of HD to have Fred and Johnny back. Not knocking Jack and Brick, I think they do a great job.

But those guys were the best.

I can only vaguely remember Fred and Johnny but I certainly remember Fred and Derek. Jack and Brick are far from perfect but I do prefer them over Fred and Derek. Fred and Derek were just too biased for my tastes ,not that Jack and Brick aren't but I find the latter can look at a game more objectively .

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Might I ask what you are doing at the moment?

Gotta figure it's interesting considering your Brock Holt like flexibility. President of the USA, GM of the Bruins, NESN producer. Where is your ceiling bro?

Truly a renaissance man.

I'm not sure. One of the few things I'm not sure about. I am good at my job, though. I am extremely meticulous and obsessive over competence. I'm always looking for ways to do my job better, and my company always gets 110% from me. I'm not modest, but I am very, very good at what I do.

Maybe you could comment on my NESN ideas?

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Apparently many of you did not cut your teeth on WSBK-TV38 with Fred and John and Derek. Now THAT was some crazy camera work.

Overall, NESN tries to do too much with graphics.....a little goes a long way. It's a case of them trying to keep up with on-line type coverage. And they always go for the cutesy-kitch in their broadcasting. I'm not a fan of that...I like my hockey plain and simple and bloody and let me hear the skates on the ice.

But it's what we have.....so,.....all you youngsters out there. take the wrist shot over the slapshot. ;)

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Apparently many of you did not cut your teeth on WSBK-TV38 with Fred and John and Derek. Now THAT was some crazy camera work.

Overall, NESN tries to do too much with graphics.....a little goes a long way. It's a case of them trying to keep up with on-line type coverage. And they always go for the cutesy-kitch in their broadcasting. I'm not a fan of that...I like my hockey plain and simple and bloody and let me hear the skates on the ice.

But it's what we have.....so,.....all you youngsters out there. take the wrist shot over the slapshot. ;)

1982 TV38 could cover a game with 5 cameras - center ice, both blue lines, one camera behind the goal in Sec 44 and one handheld. The old Garden had the best camera positions in the NHL by accident with the overhang of the first balcony. Montreal cameramen were jealous as the Forum was not TV friendly.

gVLQelc.jpg

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Good stuff as always Fenway.
Unlike others I do like the behind the net camera angle on the Powerplay. I don't even remember if NESN uses that angle its been too long, but I dig it.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Good stuff as always Fenway.
Unlike others I do like the behind the net camera angle on the Powerplay. I don't even remember if NESN uses that angle its been too long, but I dig it.

This is painful to watch but this is what TV38 was able to do with THREE cameras in 1971

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I was years unborn but not sure if I want to watch a YouTube clip with the name Jean Beliveau in the title. :laugh:
But if you had to live through it I will too I guess haha.

Who is #26 around the 4:20 point in that video who made me reminisce of the classic ovechkin gif

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was years unborn but not sure if I want to watch a YouTube clip with the name Jean Beliveau in the title. :laugh:
But if you had to live through it I will too I guess haha.

Who is #26 around the 4:20 point in that video who made me reminisce of the classic ovechkin gif

Don Awrey wore #26 then.

I was at that game standing in the second balcony.

I was at every game of that series and I was a poor college student that somehow was able to snag tickets to all 7 games. Game 6 in Montreal I was in standing at the Forum and I struck up a conversation with a woman wearing a #22 sweater and told her I had a ticket for her for Game 7 in Boston and she agreed to ride with me to Boston.

She eased my pain after that game and we are still close friends.

That Bruins/Montreal series in 1971 was the most painful loss I have experienced as a Boston fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad