NESN- Will they improve the picture for games?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
IM watching OHL hockey right now on NHL Network (sadly only caught 5 mins of a Soo game with our new 1st round pick and now its another game with other teams) but the picture is remarkably better than NESN's. Its gorgeous.

To me away games on NBCSN and NBC are treats because the camera work and picture are such upgrades over NESN's trash circa 08 video production announcers be damned.

SO anyways is there any chance watching hockey on NESN will be anything like watching on other channels anytime soon?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I've never noticed any issues with the picture. I don't think the Garden has the best spot for the cameras, but I'm pretty sure that's really not in NESN's control.

The audio often leaves something to be desired. The crowd noise is turned way, way down and Jack and Brick are turned way, way up. I'm not a Jack or Brick hater, but I could certainly stand to here a little more of the natural crowd atmosphere.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I agree, the picture has always been fine for me. The audio on the other hand... Oh ho. For months in a row there will be an echo.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
They need to improve the sound.
Less Jack Edwards flapping gums and more sound for the skates, sticks, and boards.

The production (terrible camera angle timing and switches) could use some help too.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Well I could be wrong about what exactly it is thats worse but it somehow just is!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or maybe I just like a change of pace/dislike NESNs background and layout/scoreboard.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Well I could be wrong about what exactly it is thats worse but it somehow just is!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or maybe I just like a change of pace/dislike NESNs background and layout/scoreboard.

Are there any production pros here who might weigh in on the quality of NESN Bruins broadcasts?

The big problem for me since the Fleece Center opened has been that the cameras are so far away (I guess) that the players often look tiny. Maybe they want to show viewers what's going on across the sheet, but it doesn't exactly pull you into the game.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
They need to improve the sound.
Less Jack Edwards flapping gums and more sound for the skates, sticks, and boards.

The production (terrible camera angle timing and switches) could use some help too.

Sound times a whole bunch.

Edit: Though I just mean quality wise, get the Bruins moving left to right across my screen as they say on the radio.

I like Jack, until he ad-lib's, kind of the same way I feel about Led Zeppelin and Robert Plant.

He's great till he starts yodeling off on his own.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
When you compare NESN to say TSN the ambience is so noticeable, you can hear skates sticks everything so crispy clear, crowd everything. nESN has the worst production in the NHL

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
When you compare NESN to say TSN the ambience is so noticeable, you can hear skates sticks everything so crispy clear, crowd everything. nESN has the worst production in the NHL

Unless it's catching an F bomb, NESN seems to always get that crystal clear for some reason?

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Unless it's catching an F bomb, NESN seems to always get that crystal clear for some reason?

Not even close. The Canadian broadcasts are on a different level. I always notice it being so crisp on a tsn cos i switched between games last year when the Bs were playing and couldnt believe my ears, then put it back to NESN and all i can hear is Jack ****ing Edwards talking copius amounts of **** with little ambience other than the boards.

It may be different for me cos I stream through AppleTV but when it comes to sound quality TSN won hands down. Stick slapping all over the place

TheBigZ

Dec 18, 2007
Dallas, TX
www.hfboards.com
The ticker is the worst part. It distorts the 16:9 ratio and squishes the picture. It's not on there for the redsox, and doesn't belong on there for any sporting events. We should have the least amount of "stuff" on the screen as possible. NESN production value sucks IMO

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012
I agree, the picture has always been fine for me. The audio on the other hand... Oh ho. For months in a row there will be an echo.

Oh yes, very much so this. NESN has god awful sound.

NBC on the other hand (although lacking in many other area, too many to list) have exceptional sound.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Not even close. The Canadian broadcasts are on a different level. I always notice it being so crisp on a tsn cos i switched between games last year when the Bs were playing and couldnt believe my ears, then put it back to NESN and all i can hear is Jack ****ing Edwards talking copius amounts of **** with little ambience other than the boards.

It may be different for me cos I stream through AppleTV but when it comes to sound quality TSN won hands down. Stick slapping all over the place

I was joking that only the F bombs come through clear.

I tend to watch games through a subscription service not affiliated with the NHL ;)

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
The High Def is sent at 720 and worst is the crap crawling all over the bottom over the picture.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Mix-wise, I actually prefer having the crowd noise lower and the announcers louder. The only times where I'd make an exception to this is if the crowd's chanting something - then, I usually want to hear what it is. (Of course, the 1 time out of 10, it's probably a variant of one of the famous Carlin words, so NESN would turn it down.)

The video does drive me nuts. A few years ago, the video totally cut out one time, and bless him, Jack immediately went into full-blown radio mode. The cameras are too far, but that's on the Garden, not the network. And "The Edge" has to go. (Well, not The Edge - he was actually pretty damn good when I saw him at the Garden on Friday.) That damn ticker on the bottom of the screen has no informational value at all - and hence has no advertising value at all, either. My eyes have been trained to ignore that spot on the screen...but I'm still annoyed that valuable real estate is being taken up. It reminds me of this:

(Both because the viewing area is so small, and it feels like NESN is kicking me in the balls.)

While we're on production, I kind of like the idea having a third voice behind the glass, like on the NBC broadcasts. No, not Pierre per se. But I think Jaffe was down there for one game last year, and it was nice to have a third perspective. Not sure who would do it - Dale has to get up to the fifth floor for the intermission shows, and it would mean at least two other people besides Dale working every night.

trudatman*

The ticker is the worst part. It distorts the 16:9 ratio and squishes the picture....
for no reason, too. it's not like they couldn't overlay it. it's not like if they did overlay it we'd miss key images from the game. total local-high-school-cable-show action.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad