NESN- Will they improve the picture for games?

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Don Awrey wore #26 then.

I was at that game standing in the second balcony.

I was at every game of that series and I was a poor college student that somehow was able to snag tickets to all 7 games. Game 6 in Montreal I was in standing at the Forum and I struck up a conversation with a woman wearing a #22 sweater and told her I had a ticket for her for Game 7 in Boston and she agreed to ride with me to Boston.

She eased my pain after that game and we are still close friends.

That Bruins/Montreal series in 1971 was the most painful loss I have experienced as a Boston fan.
Just to get off topic in my life the worst for me is the game 7loss to Montreal in 2004

Last edited:

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
That 1971 series started the modern day Montreal/Bruins rivalry.

Why did Tom Johnson play EJ in goal for Game 2????

I was still in grammar school during that series but I remember arguing with a classmate that Johnston was not a bad call at the time. Of course, it turned out to be disastrous, but Johnston was having a good year and he did play a lot of games.

The names Yvon Cornyaei (or however the he!! you spell it) and Frank Mahovalich still depress and irritate me all these years later.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Oh, and as to the OP, I have to watch all the games on NHL Center Ice and even in so-called HD, on some nights, particularly for those games being broadcast from Western Canada, the picture takes me back to the 1970s-era games I used to watch on WSBK-TV38. (Does that channel still exist??)

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Are bruins games in 1080p or is it 720? My last tv was 1080 but a sad 60hz so I really can't comment... the new one will put nesn to the test.

I assume you meant 1080i. Pretty much nothing on tv is available in 1080p aside from some special, movie and pay channels offered by cable/satellite providers. None of the basic stations or sports stations support it yet. They're all in 1080i and 720p which are roughly half as "good" as 1080p.

NESN is 720p.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NESN is showing Eastern League All Star Game from Maine tonight :)

11696385_10206430074323378_6787222481931626748_o.jpg

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Mix-wise, I actually prefer having the crowd noise lower and the announcers louder. The only times where I'd make an exception to this is if the crowd's chanting something - then, I usually want to hear what it is. (Of course, the 1 time out of 10, it's probably a variant of one of the famous Carlin words, so NESN would turn it down.)

The video does drive me nuts. A few years ago, the video totally cut out one time, and bless him, Jack immediately went into full-blown radio mode. The cameras are too far, but that's on the Garden, not the network. And "The Edge" has to go. (Well, not The Edge - he was actually pretty damn good when I saw him at the Garden on Friday.) That damn ticker on the bottom of the screen has no informational value at all - and hence has no advertising value at all, either. My eyes have been trained to ignore that spot on the screen...but I'm still annoyed that valuable real estate is being taken up. It reminds me of this:

(Both because the viewing area is so small, and it feels like NESN is kicking me in the balls.)

While we're on production, I kind of like the idea having a third voice behind the glass, like on the NBC broadcasts. No, not Pierre per se. But I think Jaffe was down there for one game last year, and it was nice to have a third perspective. Not sure who would do it - Dale has to get up to the fifth floor for the intermission shows, and it would mean at least two other people besides Dale working every night.

No, though slimmer of late, that would mean at least two other people carrying Dale to & fro.

Jaffe I'd put in between the benches. A puck to the head while he does his bit. Great good fun. ;-)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00