NESN may soon vanish from Xfinity

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
I hate cable companies and TV stations in general at this point.

I am seriously considering ditching cable altogether. I'm happy with Netflix/Hulu and YouTube. If it means I can't watch all the Bruins games, oh well, so be it. Xfinity just upped my package from $187 to $237 a month because my "contract" was up. What a joke.

I have ESPN+/Disney tied to my HULU account and I get all the Bruins games home/away feed minus National on ESPN+

Last edited:

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
ESPN+ and many other services are privy to VPNs these days. They block VPN IPs.

edit: may be an issue with my VPN and not all VPNs.

You definitely gotta know what your doing. Nord worked but they caught on, so I switched VPN...they do catch some and will stop, but you gotta find the right one heh. My parents live in NJ, but only get NJ. NYR. NYI on cable but Flyers and comcast is not available with FIOS. ESPN+ blacks out Philly as well as did Centre Ice...but I get them every game on the firestick with ESPN+ and VPN. Its the only option, FIOS doesnt offer comcast so its the only cable option they have so its the only way I can get my 92yo father to watch his team

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
So technology has passed me by.

I am starting to miss channel 38 with having to adjust the antenna.

Anyone know the options for NH?

I signed a 2 year deal (it is almost 250 per month) with Comcast/ Xfinity . If they take away NESN that IMO they have voided the deal and can go f*** themseles

Last edited:

stungun54

Apr 15, 2018
HFBoards since 2000

I signed a 2 year deal (it is almost 250 per month) with Comcast/ Xfinity . If they take away NESN that IMO they have voided the deal and can go f*** themseles
i used to be the coat hanger "antenna boy" on the black and white tv back in the early 70's.... responsible for scrambling the noise for better reception.

Reactions: sarge88 and Ladyfan

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

charlie-brown-snoopy.gif

Hockey Gent

Sep 25, 2021
My better half says we can get NESN via Fubu and ditch cable entirely, we have Netflix and Prime etc. already, anyone who knows how all this works can verify this as an option??
That’s what my dad does. I’m more tech savvy and cough stream cough but yes it’s a more reliable option

Wirelessbits

Dec 11, 2021

You must have a bundle with internet to pay that much...I very much dislike Comcast and have also used both satellite companies. It is just too expensive for what we use it for...which is basically Bruins. We have Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc. for our typical TV watching.

I also live in NH but border crossings don't really matter with this. I currently have both FuboTV and DirecTVstream (just got this) as I am frustrated that Fubo doesn't have TNT or ESPN games so that is cancelled and runs to end of this month. While I am tech-saavy I'm not dealing with crappy feeds like Eyestream or anything where I have to mess with rotating VPN's or plugging a laptop into my TV via HDMI. I want DVR capabilities and good control. For my family watching the Bruins is our quality family time so it has to be a good experience.

I like DirecTVstream better than Fubo for the rewind/fwd functions, but DirecTVstream is 1080 only and if we get 4k hockey games (please!) I will move back to Fubo. When Bruins season is over they are both gone...

So there isn't 'one' service that meets all our needs which is a result of this money grab which is frustrating!

Check out the "cord cutter" thread for more (frustrating) insight into options...

BTW, to my eyes NESN clearly does more compression as the picture quality lags that of ESPN or TNT...hence I like watching there better (commentators are secondary to me). So much frustration with NESN to go around...sigh

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
You must have a bundle with internet to pay that much...I very much dislike Comcast and have also used both satellite companies. It is just too expensive for what we use it for...which is basically Bruins. We have Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc. for our typical TV watching.

I also live in NH but border crossings don't really matter with this. I currently have both FuboTV and DirecTVstream (just got this) as I am frustrated that Fubo doesn't have TNT or ESPN games so that is cancelled and runs to end of this month. While I am tech-saavy I'm not dealing with crappy feeds like Eyestream or anything where I have to mess with rotating VPN's or plugging a laptop into my TV via HDMI. I want DVR capabilities and good control. For my family watching the Bruins is our quality family time so it has to be a good experience.

I like DirecTVstream better than Fubo for the rewind/fwd functions, but DirecTVstream is 1080 only and if we get 4k hockey games (please!) I will move back to Fubo. When Bruins season is over they are both gone...

So there isn't 'one' service that meets all our needs which is a result of this money grab which is frustrating!

Check out the "cord cutter" thread for more (frustrating) insight into options...

BTW, to my eyes NESN clearly does more compression as the picture quality lags that of ESPN or TNT...hence I like watching there better (commentators are secondary to me). So much frustration with NESN to go around...sigh
Thank you for your info! My Comcast does include internet and land line phone.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Off topic but for those of us who live outside of New England for the better part of the year is there any way to get Nesn. I have the subscription for xfinity in Boston and would use the nesn app on my roku when I was outside of New England. As of yesterday it’s saying I’m out of the coverage area.

the app worked on my phone and iPad but it was a pain to watch on the small screen. When I tried AirPlay the picture quality was terrible. Any ideas?

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Out of curiosity, do you use the centre ice package?

I’ve been using that this season primarily. The other night they blacked out the Leafs Bruins game. I can’t remember, had that ever happened before on that platform?

Was going to watch that one late. Turns out I couldn’t. Was beyond irritated lol
I know the question isn't directed at me, but unlike my Centre Ice subs from past seasons, I decided to go with NHL Live for the first time this season and no regrets. It's about $50 cheaper than CI and you get to choose from either the Home or Away feed, unless there's a local blackout, at which point you'd typically get the game on Sportsnet (90% NESN feed) or TSN (ex: Sens the other night).

If I miss a game (which is rarely), NHL Live actually makes it available for replay the next day, which is a nice feature. I used to lose my $%&# with CI at times when someone would fall asleep at the switch and they'd activate the game feed 5-10 mins in!

I stream it off the NHL app on a Smart TV and zero lag.

Reactions: easton117

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I know the question isn't directed at me, but unlike my Centre Ice subs from past seasons, I decided to go with NHL Live for the first time this season and no regrets. It's about $50 cheaper than CI and you get to choose from either the Home or Away feed, unless there's a local blackout, at which point you'd typically get the game on Sportsnet (90% NESN feed) or TSN (ex: Sens the other night).

If I miss a game (which is rarely), NHL Live actually makes it available for replay the next day, which is a nice feature. I used to lose my $%&# with CI at times when someone would fall asleep at the switch and they'd activate the game feed 5-10 mins in!

I stream it off the NHL app on a Smart TV and zero lag.
Thanks for that!

I know they got a lot of flak up here originally (rightfully the first year) but I was hoping DAZN would eventually get nhl rights.

Last service rep I talked to though said that probably wasn’t going to be a thing anytime soon though.

If they ever did and I could find a handy cnn app for my dad (don’t ask lol) I could cut cable off completely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad