Pre-Game Talk: Nelson Tinkering For Game Against Twinklings

Status
Not open for further replies.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
I would be okay with having hunt in the line-up if we had a #1 defence-men that plays 28 minutes a night or something. Play hunt mostly in the offensive zone and the power-play.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So wait a second... we're scratching Draisaitl, but not going to make him available for the WJC?

What the hell. This isn't just a case where he needs to watch a game from the pressbox. He's not ready. It's that simple. Get him the hell out of here already.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
There is the real reason Eakins was fired - Mact/Eakins agreed on everything but Hunt.

You can't mess with a Mact protégé, not even if you're his best friend

McDeathbyCheerios*

So wait a second... we're scratching Draisaitl, but not going to make him available for the WJC?

What the hell. This isn't just a case where he needs to watch a game from the pressbox. He's not ready. It's that simple. Get him the hell out of here already.
There is a chance that Draisaitl didn't want to play at the WJC.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think it's pretty obvious that Mac T has been making all the decisions since he started. The roster decisions and ice management all seem to reek of Mac T. How can we have 2 different coaches yet things still seem the same. Eakins was Mac T's "yes man" which is why he lasted so long. there's no way we get a respected veteran coach next season if they have no control over their coaching decisions.

Board Gordon

Light Up The World
Jun 13, 2014
Super rooting for Lander. I love the guy and I hope he can finally make his mark at an NHL level. Wouldn't it be nice.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Jack Michaels ‏@EdmontonJack

Hall-RNH-Purcell, Perron-Gordon-Eberle, Yak-Lander-Pitlick, Hendricks-Arco-Pinizzotto.

any word on the d pairings / starting goalie?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Hasn't lit it up offensively, but he has been pretty responsible on the defensive end. The problem is team really doesn't have anyone else. MacT handcuffed the team by putting too much pressure on him.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton

It's such a joke, this organization just doesn't get it. We have been the worst developmental team in the league and it's not changing. Same ******** every year.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

It's mind boggling.

This organization does everything in their power to ruin a player.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
It's such a joke, this organization just doesn't get it. We have been the worst developmental team in the league and it's not changing. Same ******** every year.

this year has been 30 times worse then anything imaginable developmentally.

I can't even remember anything remotely close to this gong show in terms of every single decision being horrific.

Maybe give props to Lander/Klefbom....Pitlick...but all the guys we needed to develop are just....just awful.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Yup. Looks like the Oilers are planning on keeping Hunt on the team for a while.

It's going to be a looooong season.

I truly believe Hunt is a better overall player than Schultz, who makes the odd good offensive play but cons over pros, sucks. Hunt's simple just get it on net approach to offence and decent defense is what the team needs. Generate some rebounds and let the forwards go digging.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
when hes selected by las vegas in the expansion draft

Haha, bust seriously he'd obviously be protected. The funny thing is an expansion draft would probably really help the Oilers, they would lose probably no one while other teams lose valuable depth.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
There is a chance that Draisaitl didn't want to play at the WJC.

Fine, then send him back to junior immediately. Nothing about his game is NHL caliber. He's so far behind the pace that all he can do is try and keep from drowning. You don't learn playing like that.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Fine, then send him back to junior immediately. Nothing about his game is NHL caliber. He's so far behind the pace that all he can do is try and keep from drowning. You don't learn playing like that.

Exactly. There is obviously a learning curve to the NHL and even elite players do not have a seamless transition. But that being said drai is in an awful environment for learning. Look at his role models! Not alot to aspire to

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm probably close to a lone voice in still saying the best place for Draisaitl to develop this season was in the NHL.

He has NHL level size, work ethic and intelligence... he simply needs to play in the NHL and get used to the pace and the level of NHL competition.

You don't get that by going back to Prince Albert imo.

I think I'm not alone in not expecting this season to be such a pukefest across the board for the Oilers... I knew they would be poor again this year... but not quite THIS bad.... so it makes having Draisaitl in the lineup look especially bad when the rest of the team is obviously playing like crap as well.

I still say it wasn't a bad move to have him up here though... MacT simply needed to have a better team in which to surround players like Draisaitl... one with better dmen and forwards who are responsible defensibly as well.

Saying that... the WJC would have been a nice change of pace for him to get him away from this ****show for a while... and since the season is obviously a lost cause anyway... Lander could easily fill in for him and we could once again see if Lander has any future at the NHL level.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
I'm probably close to a lone voice in still saying the best place for Draisaitl to develop this season was in the NHL.

He has NHL level size, work ethic and intelligence... he simply needs to play in the NHL and get used to the pace and the level of NHL competition.

You don't get that by going back to Prince Albert imo.

I think I'm not alone in not expecting this season to be such a pukefest across the board for the Oilers... I knew they would be poor again this year... but not quite THIS bad.... so it makes having Draisaitl in the lineup look especially bad when the rest of the team is obviously playing like crap as well.

I still say it wasn't a bad move to have him up here though... MacT simply needed to have a better team in which to surround players like Draisaitl... one with better dmen and forwards who are responsible defensibly as well.

Saying that... the WJC would have been a nice change of pace for him to get him away from this ****show for a while... and since the season is obviously a lost cause anyway... Lander could easily fill in for him and we could once again see if Lander has any future at the NHL level.

Uh. Ok. What about the part where Draisaitl can't skate? There are lots of very good draft picks who go back down and work on weaker elements of their game. Would it hurt Draisaitl to go back down, work on his skating, get some time on the PK, focus on little things like faceoffs, protecting the puck, etc? Sure doesn't seem to have hurt Drouin one bit and lots of people at the draft thought he might have more offensive potential than Mackinnon..

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I personally thought Draisaitl could work on his skating and overall game just as well with the Oilers as he could in Junior.

I can see others arguments about wanting him gone... but I firmly believe if this team was composed of players that could win more than 1 in every 18 games... Draisaitl wouldn't look out of place being given sheltered minutes and working on his game vs NHL competition.

His below average skating just might be something that stays with him throughout his career. Most players have one or two weak areas to their games that they may never succeed in strengthening... and I don't think we'd magically see a much faster Draisaitl next season if he spent the year in Junior this season.

He is no doubt fully aware of his shortcomings and working to improve them wherever he plays and do we know that he's not working on his speed/strength with the Oilers this season? Surely they do have skating and strength coaches/trainers that are just as good if not better than junior level programs to help in those areas.

I personally think getting used to the size of NHL players and the faster pace and NHL style of play is something that he would do next year as well if that was his rookie season... he wouldn't be magically ready for that just because he's played another year vs junior opponents.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Honestly a trip to the pressbox is long overdue for Leon, but it's kind of funny it comes 2 days after they announced he would not be loaned to the WJHC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad