Nelson, Strome, Lee who doesn't making team

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Are you talking about trading a 0.5ppg player, who is excellent defensively and a strong possession player, for a fifth round pick?

something like that..yes. If you're thinking about a 1 on 1 or a packages trade to bring back actual NHL players, that's a little different. We don't usually do that. That's why I assumed it would be for rookies/prospects/picks.

BroadwayJay*

something like that..yes. If you're thinking about a 1 on 1 or a packages trade to bring back actual NHL players, that's a little different. We don't usually do that. That's why I assumed it would be for rookies/prospects/picks.

You weren't the one who said it, but I'll take the bait anyway.

Josh Bailey's only problem is that he was drafted in the 1st round.

He scored 38 points in 77 games last season, and 19 in 38 games the season before. Two straight seasons of 0.5ppg play. He's 24 years old and defensively sound. He was a 52.3% CF% player and a positive in relative corsi. When he is on the ice, the team is strong on possession, that's a good thing.

Also, he makes 3.3m, which is comparable to Brandon Sutter, Renee Bourque, and Paul Gaustad; all of whom are dramatically inferior players.

I'm starting to lose patience with this "trade Bailey for nothing" nonsense. If you want a fifth round pick so bad, trade Matt Martin.

Isles Mania

Aug 22, 2014
Long Island
Im long time reader, but really post.

Looking at the islanders roster I'm don't see all three of these guys making team(Nelson, Strome, Lee). Who you think will go to minore.

Okpose-Tavares-X
Kulemin-Grabovski-X
Baily-Nielson-Grabner
Martin-Cizika-Clutterbuck

ex: MacDonald

Hamonic-Dehaan
Hickley-Vishnevsky
Strait-X(Reihart/Pulock....)

ex: Carkner

Halak
Johnson/Poulok

Looking at roster it look Lee probably would be in minor again. Im wish there was room for him too, but im don't see. So who you think will be in minor

First off, why are you putting KO on JT's LW and who is Poulok? Lmao

MY opening day roster

Nelson- Tavares- Okposo
Kulimen- Grabbo- Strome
Grabner- Fransy- Bailey
Martin- CC- Clutterbuck

Hamonic-Dehaan
Hickley-Vishnevsky
Strait-Reinhart

Halak
johnson

Scratches- Donovan and Carkner

Lee, Bailey and Grabner are expendable one will get traded during the season.

Also if/when vis gets hurt depending on the length i can see Pulock getting called up.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

He scored 38 points in 77 games last season, and 19 in 38 games the season before. Two straight seasons of 0.5ppg play. He's 24 years old and defensively sound. He was a 52.3% CF% player and a positive in relative corsi. When he is on the ice, the team is strong on possession, that's a good thing.

Also, he makes 3.3m, which is comparable to Brandon Sutter, Renee Bourque, and Paul Gaustad; all of whom are dramatically inferior players.

I'm starting to lose patience with this "trade Bailey for nothing" nonsense. If you want a fifth round pick so bad, trade Matt Martin.

Yeah, even Lars Eller just got a raise and I think he's at 3.5m. I used to complain about Bailey's contract, but now that I've seen the rest of the market catch up I realize that it's really not that bad in comparison. The rest of the NHL is paying comparable so it's not problematic at all. What's problematic is his inconsistency and effort. I also don't think he should be traded for nothing (which is about where his value is at anyway).

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA
Start Lee out in Bridgeport and slot Bailey in on line three with Nielsen. Give Bailey a month. If he performs, great. Keep him up or trade him. If he plays like his usual early/midseason self, send him down to Bridgeport and bring Lee up to take his place. If he gets claimed, which he likely will, who cares.

I like the idea of giving Bailey some decent minutes early in the season in the hopes that he produces, then selling high on him in a trade to bring in help on defense and replacing him with Lee.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
First off, why are you putting KO on JT's LW and who is Poulok? Lmao

MY opening day roster

Nelson- Tavares- Okposo
Kulimen- Grabbo- Strome
Grabner- Fransy- Bailey
Martin- CC- Clutterbuck

Hamonic-Dehaan
Hickley-Vishnevsky
Strait-Reinhart

Halak
johnson

Scratches- Donovan and Carkner

Lee, Bailey and Grabner are expendable one will get traded during the season.

Also if/when vis gets hurt depending on the length i can see Pulock getting called up.

The poster made many more mistakes than just those, leading me to believe perhaps English is not his first language. You could have been a bit more graceful about your delivery and not so ethnocentric.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Start Lee out in Bridgeport and slot Bailey in on line three with Nielsen. Give Bailey a month. If he performs, great. Keep him up or trade him. If he plays like his usual early/midseason self, send him down to Bridgeport and bring Lee up to take his place. If he gets claimed, which he likely will, who cares.

I like the idea of giving Bailey some decent minutes early in the season in the hopes that he produces, then selling high on him in a trade to bring in help on defense and replacing him with Lee.

Yeah, who cares if a .5 ppg player and one of the best top 6 wings in the game is claimed off waivers for nothing! :help:

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, who cares if a .5 ppg player and one of the best top 6 wings in the game is claimed off waivers for nothing! :help:

the way he is villified around here, you'd think he was a convicted baby-crusher...

there is no need to jettison him. we finally have decent depth at forward, and i don't think it wise to get rid of players, unless we have to.

we will have injuries all year, and we also will be losing Boulton, McDonald, Vis and Carkner as UFA's, when the year ends. i hope that Snow can hang on to all the guys we have right now.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

Maybe Garth should shop Josh as being one of the top 120 wings in the league, that angle might just work. Do not forget that he is a .1 gpg player, and his career ppg is about .436.
Are you the guy who thinks there will be a statue of Josh outside the Brooklyn arena someday?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Maybe Garth should shop Josh as being one of the top 120 wings in the league, that angle might just work. Do not forget that he is a .1 gpg player, and his career ppg is about .436.
Are you the guy who thinks there will be a statue of Josh outside the Brooklyn arena someday?

Ran out of other nonsense to complain about, so now we're going to stick with ripping him for only his goal production and what he did when he was 18 years old, while being the only real player on the roster...got it.

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA

My stipulation with that statement was if he gets off to a poor start this season. What I'm saying is like something similar to Blake Comeau from 2011 or 2010 whatever year it was when he didn't do jack **** for 25 games so Snow waived him and he got claimed.

I understand you like him but there are just too many talented forwards in this organization for this team to continue to carry the dead weight of Bailey with his routine of being completely lost for the first 60 games of the season before finally finding his game and putting numbers up when the season is already beyond lost.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

This is what I said in the last Bailey thread. Every thread about him is just a bash Bailey thread. It gets pretty tiring. Just like people have goggles on with overrating players on their own team, the same can be said for underrating players. They have no ability to separate play from context, and have no idea what similar players around the league are actually doing night in and night out -- all at higher salaries. The grass is always greener.

Last edited:

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
My stipulation with that statement was if he gets off to a poor start this season. What I'm saying is like something similar to Blake Comeau from 2011 or 2010 whatever year it was when he didn't do jack **** for 25 games so Snow waived him and he got claimed.

I understand you like him but there are just too many talented forwards in this organization for this team to continue to carry the dead weight of Bailey with his routine of being completely lost for the first 60 games of the season before finally finding his game and putting numbers up when the season is already beyond lost.

This is what I don't get. Dead weight? The guy scores 0.5 PPG, as was said by multiple people. How much better production are you expecting from all of over forwards? Only 91 players in the NHL scored 50 points last year. You expect our entire top 9 to be on that list? His production is fine and actually trending upward (I know, he's only 24 -- it's crazy), and he is one of our better defensive forwards -- you know, that thing on the other side of our ice that our team is friggin terrible at.

If we have 9 forwards scoring over 50 points, we will win the cup every year. Then trade Bailey for a bag of pucks.

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
I believe Lee needs to go down. He has options and needs to play a whole bunch. He is not tradable unless a bonafide #1 defenseman is coming back.

To me Kulemin, Bailey, McDonald are the block. Martin and Grabner possibly too.

Lee has improved at a great rate, don't give up the kid!

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
I believe Lee needs to go down. He has options and needs to play a whole bunch. He is not tradable unless a bonafide #1 defenseman is coming back.

I agree with this, though I really don't want us giving up on Grabner. He is a tool that not many other teams in the league have. Martin is expendable because Clutterbuck is more effective. Bailey is meh, McDonald hustles but he's expendable, and Kulemin seems expendable though I don't know much about him.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
All three of these guys belong on the big club, they are all among our top twelve forwards. If winning actually is important, this is the kind of change that needs to be made.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Ran out of other nonsense to complain about, so now we're going to stick with ripping him for only his goal production and what he did when he was 18 years old, while being the only real player on the roster...got it.

Umm, you know I have put down my axe looking for Josh Failey's neck after discussing in depth with you. I don't give him a hard time nearly as much anymore. You do however need some fact checking at this point in time.

#1 - When Bailey joined the Isles in 2008-9 he was on the roster with Okposo, Nielsen, Streit, and aging, but still NHL caliber Dough Weight and Bill Guerin. I wouldn't say he was surrounded by scrubs. It wasn't a great team, but certainly not an excuse or something to make a crutch out of.

#2 - Bailey was born in October. He was literally just about to turn 19 on the first day of the season. He didn't play any extensive times with the Isles as an 18 year old.

Not saying you are wrong, just keep the convo legit...

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Umm, you know I have put down my axe looking for Josh Failey's neck after discussing in depth with you. I don't give him a hard time nearly as much anymore. You do however need some fact checking at this point in time.

#1 - When Bailey joined the Isles in 2008-9 he was on the roster with Okposo, Nielsen, Streit, and aging, but still NHL caliber Dough Weight and Bill Guerin. I wouldn't say he was surrounded by scrubs. It wasn't a great team, but certainly not an excuse or something to make a crutch out of.

#2 - Bailey was born in October. He was literally just about to turn 19 on the first day of the season. He didn't play any extensive times with the Isles as an 18 year old.

in context though...

Bailey was not brought into the lineup via the 3rd or 4th line, and expected to work his way up, like good organizations can afford to do. he was brought in, and tried all over the place. alot of pressure for a kid, whether 18 or 19, and i would be surprised if he didn't have some kind of confidence issues.

there seems to be a few that think he should be given away, but i think most still see that he has some value. we finally have good depth, meaning guys that aren't lifelong scrubs, and i am enjoying it. lack of depth killed us last year, and i think Snow realized it. let's not take a step backward, by giving away decent, young depth players. it was hard enough to get to this point, given that worthy UFA's avoided the Isle for so long.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Among those you list, I have to disagree about Kulemin. Imo the Isles are not trading a player just signed off the ufa market, without giving him a chance to show what he can bring to the team.
It would also quickly sour his buddy Grabovski on the franchise. Isles did not sign Grabbo to that $5m per deal, so he can sulk and be unhappy.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Kulemin is part of the answer to our awful team-defense problems.

He isn't going anywhere. Sometimes you guys crack me up.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
in context though...

Bailey was not brought into the lineup via the 3rd or 4th line, and expected to work his way up, like good organizations can afford to do. he was brought in, and tried all over the place. alot of pressure for a kid, whether 18 or 19, and i would be surprised if he didn't have some kind of confidence issues.

there seems to be a few that think he should be given away, but i think most still see that he has some value. we finally have good depth, meaning guys that aren't lifelong scrubs, and i am enjoying it. lack of depth killed us last year, and i think Snow realized it. let's not take a step backward, by giving away decent, young depth players. it was hard enough to get to this point, given that worthy UFA's avoided the Isle for so long.

Yes, you are right. I'm not saying he was handled well. I also don't think he should be given away for nothing. Not because I think he will blossom into a legitimate top six threat, just I think he is still more valuable to this team than his market value. He's a great option for the third line and I have no problems with him there. iLandHer definitely changed my attitude on him. I was just clearing up a couple things he said while he was trying to paint the picture a little too rosy.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

That's fine. I remember that team being terrible, and it was...but I'll agree I exaggerated a little bit. I just don't think judging him based off of what he did for those first 3 years resembles anything of what he's bringing to the table this season and the past two seasons. It'd be a mistake to judge Tavares moving forward based off what he was doing in his first season, since he's trending upwards. I'm using the same thought process on Bailey.

If people are going to cherry pick stats that suit their cause, I'll do the same. If we're going to have an honest discussion and comparison to other players, that's fine and we can do that. I know there are areas of his game that need improvement, I've said as much in the umpteen conversations the board has had on him.

Yes, you are right. I'm not saying he was handled well. I also don't think he should be given away for nothing. Not because I think he will blossom into a legitimate top six threat, just I think he is still more valuable to this team than his market value. He's a great option for the third line and I have no problems with him there. iLandHer definitely changed my attitude on him. I was just clearing up a couple things he said while he was trying to paint the picture a little too rosy.

Well, thank you. And for the record, I think that's a fair assessment and wouldn't knock you or anyone for having that thought. I think he can be a real top 6 threat, but if people think he's a 3rd liner who has stagnated, I'd say that's a reasonable expectation.

Sorry if I went too far, it just gets old seeing different but the same arguments over and over that have little merit or are used to show a really slanted view of reality.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Well, thank you. And for the record, I think that's a fair assessment and wouldn't knock you or anyone for having that thought. I think he can be a real top 6 threat, but if people think he's a 3rd liner who has stagnated, I'd say that's a reasonable expectation.

Sorry if I went too far, it just gets old seeing different but the same arguments over and over that have little merit or are used to show a really slanted view of reality.

Ha, totally understandable. I'm sure I used to be one of the ones that drove you crazy. I never thought my assessment was unfair of Bailey, just my expectations. He still does have time to assert himself and become a top six guy for sure. I just can't help to sniff Blake Comeau exuding from his aura. We'll see. I am, however, squarely on the side of rooting for him, rather than against him at this stage in the game.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
actually wish this conversation was about which d-men head to b'port or get waived due to snow injecting 10 mil of talent into the blueline .

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Josh Bailey's problem is simply that he thinks too much. Rather than letting plays develop he takes odd pauses during a rush and tries to figure out a what he wants to do next rather than keeping his feet moving and driving to the net. He's got all the talent to be a top forward in this league but he's simply not letting it happen.

For someone as cerebral as him, when chips are down he's his worse enemy. When he's not playing well again his mind gets in the way and loses all confidence as he gets harder and harder on himself- so his game suffers even more.

He's got to drive harder to the net more, win the physical battles as he's driving towards the net which means fighting through checks, keep his feet moving and get into high scoring areas then let his natural abilities take over once he's in scoring position. He's got to stop thinking and start playing more instinctually.

I'm not too sure if I'd get rid of him at this point but his opportunities for staying with this team are dwindling. I don't want the Islanders to be on the receiving end if finally figures all of this out. Give him one more year to make it happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad