Nelson, Keefe or Eakins

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think we all heard bad things about Eakins in Edmonton, but the players were a bunch of spoiled brats who thought they were entitled. What Hall did was show complete lack of respect for his coach and organization.

Oiler management wanted Eakins to play all the shiny new toys lots of minutes. Eakins was under minded by management the day he took the job. Chayka can't do that and needs to give whoever the coach is authority on roster call ups and send downs as well as minutes. The new coach can't be forced to keep Strome/Keller on the roster or given minutes they don't deserve. this is what happened in Edmonton and it is a slippery slope.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't understand why we don't interview assistants from other teams that have more NHL experience. For me, this is dangerous territory by excluding someone with more experience. There is a reason why coaches get hired and re-hired in the NHL. There are very few that can do the job, and fewer that can do a great job. I have no problem going with a younger coach, but one with a bit more NHL experience.

Like Nelson. Just hire Nelson.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I agree, NHL experience as an assistant can be very important when becoming a head coach at the NHL level. I have been saying this is a dangerous hire because of Chayka's inexperience in evaluating coaches. Hiring a coach with NHL experience is more expensive but takes some risk off the table. I don't care who they hire, I'll be supportive and hope for the best.

While NHL experience may be wonderful, I think with the team we have, that a younger "less experienced" coach may be fine. The problem with established "veteran" coaches is that they are used to having a more balanced team (veterans, mid-career, and youngsters). If we define veterans as having 410+ games (approximately 5 season's worth of regular season games played) , Mid-career as having 246-410 games (roughly 3 season's worth of GP), and youngsters as having 0-245 games played:

Vets
Goligoski (~647)
Schenn (~644)
Hjalms (~624)
Richardson? (~607)
McGinn (~505)
Stepan (~515)
OEL (~494)​

Mid-career
Rinaldo (~275)​

Youngsters
Connauton (~187)
Martinook (~166)
Duclair (~157)
Cousins (~145)
Domi (~140)
Rieder (~92)
Clendening (~81)
Dvorak (78)
Crouse (72)
Chychrun (68)
Perlini (57)
Campbell (~42)
Sislo (~42)
Gaudet (20)
Hanley (17)
Strome (7)
Fischer (7)
Keller (3)​

Goalies:
Raanta (~77)
Domingue (~77)
Langhamer (1)​

With the above in mind, I'd say that more extensive AHL experience would prove a more beneficial fit for the team. Of course, it's still important to have an Assistant Coach with more extensive NHL experience (assistant coach experience would be fine here). Ideally, I'd like to see a HC with quite a bit of AHL experience, an AC with more "veteran" NHL experience, and perhaps the second AC with extensive college (or juniors) experience. That way, all bases would be covered...

Coaches mentioned here:
Nelson: 46 NHL games, ~485 AHL games, minor professional 232 games
Keefe: ~152 AHL games, 191 Juniors
Eakins: 113 NHL games, ~448 AHL games

Richards: ~424 NHL games, 160 AHL games
Groulx: 236 AHL games, 762 Juniors
Lambert: 76 AHL games, 72 Juniors

Coaches mentioned by Sarah McLellan (article from 6/28/17) minus Desjardins
Muller: 187 NHL games, 17 AHL games
Tocchet: 148 NHL games
Dineen: 146 NHL games, 480 AHL games
Payne: 142 NHL games, 115 AHL games, 476 ECHL games
Arniel: 123 NHL games, 396 AHL games​

I didn't check on any of the coaches above in terms of accepting other positions

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'm not going to get crazy if it ends up Dallas Eakins. He could be our Bruce Bellichick. He might have learned a lot from his Edmonton experience and can modify and simplify his schemes.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
With the above in mind, I'd say that more extensive AHL experience would prove a more beneficial fit for the team. Of course, it's still important to have an Assistant Coach with more extensive NHL experience (assistant coach experience would be fine here). Ideally, I'd like to see a HC with quite a bit of AHL experience, an AC with more "veteran" NHL experience, and perhaps the second AC with extensive college (or juniors) experience. That way, all bases would be covered...

I didn't check on any of the coaches above in terms of accepting other positions

Great post. I can't argue and particularity agree with the HC/AC comments.

Surrounding oneself with people smarter and different than you works in sport, war, business, firefighting ect. Whether it be GMJC or the new HC, it's a recipe for success. Ego and nepotism are often the disconnect with this philosophy.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Kevin Dineen is an assistant coach with the Blackhawks.

Yes, I know. I was focusing on those mentioned for the possible HC position. I don't think I'd want Dineen in that role, but he could be a nice balance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad