Nelson, Keefe or Eakins

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Nelson is so thirsty for a chance he'll probably work cheap and completely throw himself into the job. I want that guy.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Barroway was actually waiting for us to make a poll and decide, so expect Nelson to be named head coach within the next couple of days :laugh:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
AB if you're reading this make them bring back the nachos ;)

16-0-0 :laugh:

If this were on the polls board I'd have to lock it :biglaugh:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'd be cool with Keefe too but my preference is Nelson. As I've said elsewhere I won't freak out if we hire Eakins but he's most definitely my last choice.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Since Nelson is the consensus, I don't think it will be Nelson:( I won't be upset with whoever it is.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
In my opinion Nelson is probably a more quality coach at the moment and more experience, but Keefe is analytics system coach who has thrived everywhere he goes. He has been good enough for Dubas to have around on 2 different teams now. I also was told Keefe is a crazy smart guy by a buddy of mine that does his own analytics, but he didn't want Arizona to hire him because he's a leafs fan. Ideally i'd want someone more experienced but i'm going with the analytics guy for the team being built with analytics.

Even if they just hire him for special teams i'd be very happy

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Ideally, Nelson as HC, Keefe as assistant and an experienced D guy as the other assistant.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Odds are pretty slim that Ol Dave is coming back, so I'll bite my tongue. Eakins is at the bottom of my wishlist, but I promise not to criticize the new coach until atleast January in order to help Jakes & Co. transition through the stages of recovery. I might have to use the word "questionable" more often to keep my promise.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Voted Nelson, but personally I don't mind. If Chayka decide it's Eakins - I'm ok with this choice. I trust Chayka, and for next two years I would support that coach.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Eakins would have to basically assume a new personality in any and all interviews post hire for me to be okay with the hire. Eakins circa Edmonton was a super awkward, awful communicator that players didn't respect.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Since Nelson is the consensus, I don't think it will be Nelson:( I won't be upset with whoever it is.

I don't understand why we don't interview assistants from other teams that have more NHL experience. For me, this is dangerous territory by excluding someone with more experience. There is a reason why coaches get hired and re-hired in the NHL. There are very few that can do the job, and fewer that can do a great job. I have no problem going with a younger coach, but one with a bit more NHL experience.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Eakins would have to basically assume a new personality in any and all interviews post hire for me to be okay with the hire. Eakins circa Edmonton was a super awkward, awful communicator that players didn't respect.

I think we all heard bad things about Eakins in Edmonton, but the players were a bunch of spoiled brats who thought they were entitled. What Hall did was show complete lack of respect for his coach and organization.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm sure it was completely Eakins fault for that Oiler's debacle and it's purely coincidence that the new regime has purged Edmonton of all but two player from Eakins full season with the team!!! In all seriousness everyone knows he was terrible in Edmonton but he has a winning and development history in the AHL that would make his hiring a less risky move than most suggest.
I think we all heard bad things about Eakins in Edmonton, but the players were a bunch of spoiled brats who thought they were entitled. What Hall did was show complete lack of respect for his coach and organization.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't understand why we don't interview assistants from other teams that have more NHL experience. For me, this is dangerous territory by excluding someone with more experience. There is a reason why coaches get hired and re-hired in the NHL. There are very few that can do the job, and fewer that can do a great job. I have no problem going with a younger coach, but one with a bit more NHL experience.

I agree, NHL experience as an assistant can be very important when becoming a head coach at the NHL level. I have been saying this is a dangerous hire because of Chayka's inexperience in evaluating coaches. Hiring a coach with NHL experience is more expensive but takes some risk off the table. I don't care who they hire, I'll be supportive and hope for the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad