Nelson Good Cop, Eakins Bad Cop?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Was this the plan all along? Bring Eakins in for a season or two to break down the "entitled" young core, then bring in the good guy to build them up from the ground his own way? The old "break'em down before you can build them up mentality?" Is MacT a genius after all?

macT's fav philosophy of you break them down and build them up fails in so many levels. Terrible coach, worse GM.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Why didn't MacT grab someone from a winning program like Detroit, Boston, Chicago, San Jose? LOL

To top it all off the icing on the cake, Eakins brings all his buddies from that crappy Leafs organization like Will Acton, Keith Acton, Keith Aulie, Ben Scrivens, and that other AHL dude I can't remember. WTF!!

Actually Mactavish did. When he named Todd Nelson to be the coach of the Oilers; Nelson started coaching for the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins in 2002 - which is the AHL affiliate for the Detroit Red Wings

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah let's keep Nelson even if Hitch is available...

Some of you really should apply for Oiler Management, you'd fit right in. Ever see how the Blues cream us each and every time we play them?

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Yeah let's keep Nelson even if Hitch is available...

Some of you really should apply for Oiler Management, you'd fit right in. Ever see how the Blues cream us each and every time we play them?

We have to hope that Hitchcock only gets about 12 minutes of ice each we play them, he is killing us when we play the Blues. Its obvious the other 27-28 teams in the league that are behind the Blues need to fire their coach, Hitchcock is killing them.

Why would he be available?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We have to hope that Hitchcock only gets about 12 minutes of ice each we play them, he is killing us when we play the Blues. Its obvious the other 27-28 teams in the league that are behind the Blues need to fire their coach, Hitchcock is killing them.

Why would he be available?

Because the Blues have been massively underachieving in the post-season. They haven't even won a series in 3 years and even then they got swept in the second round.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
If anything, Eakins was here to usher in Entitlement 2.0.

The old glory days are gone, (points to a select few who totally aren't kids now) this is YOUR team now. Welcome to our new dynasty.

If you recall the atmosphere around his hiring, before even earning a playoff berth, this team was going to soon be a contender.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Which is why MacT and KLown shouldn't be allowed 1000 miles near Rebuild v3.0

Oh, and last I saw the odds were 5-1 he'd be Toronto's next coach. :-D

I really hope so, that market and that loudmouth deserve each other.

The funny thing is, they've basically been playing his "system" since firing Carlyle. He could just slide right in there without missing a beat. The prodigal son returning home.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Because the Blues have been massively underachieving in the post-season. They haven't even won a series in 3 years and even then they got swept in the second round.

Its hard to follow your theory. The Blues are underachievers so they might can their coach who can't get them to play to the standards they need to, but you want that coach to coach the Oilers?

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
Nelson knows how to use the players especially the ones he coached in OKC. Lander is completely different player with Edmonton than last year. Players have confidence in their coach especially guys like Klef and Lander.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Its hard to follow your theory. The Blues are underachievers so they might can their coach who can't get them to play to the standards they need to, but you want that coach to coach the Oilers?

The Blues are in an entirely different situation than us. They should be Cup Contenders, not first round fodder. And it's easier to can the coach than to flip over the roster.

The Blues play hard and hit hard every single time we play them and we always lose as a result. Wouldn't you rather a team that drives hard to the net over backpasses to nowhere?

If you want any kind of idea what Hitch can do, look no further than Tarasenko.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
The Blues are in an entirely different situation than us. They should be Cup Contenders, not first round fodder. And it's easier to can the coach than to flip over the roster.

The Blues play hard and hit hard every single time we play them and we always lose as a result. Wouldn't you rather a team that drives hard to the net over backpasses to nowhere?

If you want any kind of idea what Hitch can do, look no further than Tarasenko.

Or look no further than being beat out of the first round year after year. The Blues have an excellent team and have the players/size to play that kind of game. The Blues are also excellent at drafting. Its easy to cherry pick Tarasenko as some sort project that Hitchcock made, the fact is he is a good player with very high skill, along with a great team around him. Why didn't Hitchcock turn MPS into gold?

The guy (Hitchcock) is a good coach, but your constant complaining over Nelson who has been excellent so far for the Oilers is troubling, you have nothing to support the complaining. In the last 10 games the Oilers have as good or better record than roughly 10 teams in the league, thats progress no matter how you try to crap on it. There is zero chance we make the playoffs and I don't expect anyone in their right mind expected that with the coaching change this year. I see no reason to start changing coaches again when its OBVIOUS Nelson is doing a better job and the players seem to be responding to him. Are you actually complaining about an Oiler coach having a winning record for a change, do you enjoy complaining about losing?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Or look no further than being beat out of the first round year after year. The Blues have an excellent team and have the players/size to play that kind of game. The Blues are also excellent at drafting. Its easy to cherry pick Tarasenko as some sort project that Hitchcock made, the fact is he is a good player with very high skill, along with a great team around him. Why didn't Hitchcock turn MPS into gold?

The guy (Hitchcock) is a good coach, but your constant complaining over Nelson who has been excellent so far for the Oilers is troubling, you have nothing to support the complaining. In the last 10 games the Oilers have as good or better record than roughly 10 teams in the league, thats progress no matter how you try to crap on it. There is zero chance we make the playoffs and I don't expect anyone in their right mind expected that with the coaching change this year. I see no reason to start changing coaches again when its OBVIOUS Nelson is doing a better job and the players seem to be responding to him. Are you actually complaining about an Oiler coach having a winning record for a change, do you enjoy complaining about losing?

Because MPS was very much mishandled by the Oilers, like most of our other draft picks.

Nelson is doing a better job but is that really saying much? Eakins did so poorly it'd be impossible to do worse.

Let's examine the game last night. The Oilers played well after two periods and were full marks for the lead. Then in the span of less than half a period they turn a multi-goal lead into a deficit for the second game in a row. Maybe I'm just not convinced when our third periods have been consistently poor since Eakins was canned. I mean we were outscored 7-1 in the third period in the last two games, never mind just edging out Buffalo, who is by far the worst team in the league. The Oilers couldn't even make that game look easy.

The fact of the matter is that the Oilers are playing better by virtue of Eakins being so poor. We're probably hovering around Krueger range currently and that team still wasn't very good. Nelson is an upgrade on Eakins but even the common HFOil poster would've been an upgrade.

Had Eakins been canned in the off-season like he really should have been, we could've had access to Barry Trotz, or Laviolette, the latter of which is currently coaching the NHL's #1 team and is probably a lock for the Jack Adams. Going back to Eakins' hiring, Ruff, Maurice, and Vigneault were all available at that time and we went with an underexperienced AHLer.

Hitchcock to his credit has a ring. So does Bob Hartley. You think the Flames are nearly this good without his coaching experience? It really irritates me to give the Flames any credit but they made a smart hire in Hartley.

If the Oilers want Nelson to be an assistant and groom him into a head coach, that's perfectly fine by me. What I don't want is for this team to assume they've found the coach of the future because he's better than Eakins and for us to be staring at a lottery pick in November again.

This organization is incredibly stupid. Why is Nelson suddenly a smart hire when everything the Oilers have done within the past few years has been in the range of "mind-boggling" to "Hair-pullingly stupid"? I mean the PP is still godawful, the main difference being they're not giving up shorthanded breakaways anymore. They're still not scoring though. The PK is mediocre at best. The 5 on 5 play has improved but they still have many glaring defensive issues (evidenced by the fact the Sharks picked them apart in the third period, all at even strength).

Experience wins hockey games, something the Oilers are severely lacking in all organizational areas.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Because MPS was very much mishandled by the Oilers, like most of our other draft picks.

Nelson is doing a better job but is that really saying much? Eakins did so poorly it'd be impossible to do worse.

Let's examine the game last night. The Oilers played well after two periods and were full marks for the lead. Then in the span of less than half a period they turn a multi-goal lead into a deficit for the second game in a row. Maybe I'm just not convinced when our third periods have been consistently poor since Eakins was canned. I mean we were outscored 7-1 in the third period in the last two games, never mind just edging out Buffalo, who is by far the worst team in the league. The Oilers couldn't even make that game look easy.

The fact of the matter is that the Oilers are playing better by virtue of Eakins being so poor. We're probably hovering around Krueger range currently and that team still wasn't very good. Nelson is an upgrade on Eakins but even the common HFOil poster would've been an upgrade.

Had Eakins been canned in the off-season like he really should have been, we could've had access to Barry Trotz, or Laviolette, the latter of which is currently coaching the NHL's #1 team and is probably a lock for the Jack Adams. Going back to Eakins' hiring, Ruff, Maurice, and Vigneault were all available at that time and we went with an underexperienced AHLer.

Hitchcock to his credit has a ring. So does Bob Hartley. You think the Flames are nearly this good without his coaching experience? It really irritates me to give the Flames any credit but they made a smart hire in Hartley.

If the Oilers want Nelson to be an assistant and groom him into a head coach, that's perfectly fine by me. What I don't want is for this team to assume they've found the coach of the future because he's better than Eakins and for us to be staring at a lottery pick in November again.

This organization is incredibly stupid. Why is Nelson suddenly a smart hire when everything the Oilers have done within the past few years has been in the range of "mind-boggling" to "Hair-pullingly stupid"? I mean the PP is still godawful, the main difference being they're not giving up shorthanded breakaways anymore. They're still not scoring though. The PK is mediocre at best. The 5 on 5 play has improved but they still have many glaring defensive issues (evidenced by the fact the Sharks picked them apart in the third period, all at even strength).

Experience wins hockey games, something the Oilers are severely lacking in all organizational areas.

If MPS was that good it would have been easy to turn him around into a good NHL player if Hitchcock has that much influence on a player, apparently he just wasn't that good, he was still very young.

Its always easy to play Monday morning quarterback, you do know Hartley couldn't get a job in the NHL for years...right?

I have no idea why you are commenting on the game last night, you said in the GDT that you turned the game off, how would you know what happened? As much as you want to whine about the Oilers losing the lead, you fail to give credit for coming back and winning the game, outshooting the mighty Sharks 40-37. You did make a post in thread asking "how long will it be before the Oilers win a road game in the West", then they win, your new question was "how long will it take for the Oilers to win a road game in the West during regulation".

So you're saying that the Oilers are and incredibly stupid organization therefor its impossible that Nelson could be a good coach? You're not even making sense man.

Did you suddenly think that after ANY (list all the Babcocks you want) new coach was hired that we would suddenly become a 75% winning team with our current roster? We have a winning record under Nelson and the players are starting to look like they actually give a crap and all you can do is moan about it. You felt so disappointed in the win last night that you didn't even post in the post game thread like when we lose. May I ask, what are you expecting for the rest of this year and what would please you?

We have to play with what we have presently, and Nelson is doing a great job with what was given to him.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Lol no. If it were up to Mact, Eakins would still be our coach. Nelson's a much better coach than Eakins. Both Eakins and MacT are idiots.

Fully agreed. MacT even said himself that Eakins is a 10 year man and only fired him due to results.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
+2 vote for Nelson. If we ever get to the playoffs we wont flame out like Hitch does. Nelson gets guys believing

I wish I had your confidence.

It doesn't matter who is behind our bench, our management team will coach through him as long as they're in place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad