Celebrity Death: Neil Peart

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I was never much of a Rush fan, surprising perhaps for a Canadian. After all, we are often militantly proud of our artists, our musicians and songwriters and comedians. I did seriously admire Rush's talent as musicians though; three virtuosos creating an earth shattering sound. But their songs, I just never really got into them. I liked Limelight a great deal but beyond that, not so much. Maybe a song here or there but I certainly wasn't a die-hard fan like so many people around the world are. I didn't find them accessible for my tastes, either musically or lyrically. But again, very talented musicians and Neil Peart was the best of them all.

I read Peart's Wiki page today and was reminded that tragically, his wife and daughter died within only months of each other. I then read that after their deaths, Peart essentially quit Rush and took an extended trip on his motorcycle, first west from Ontario to British Columbia, then north to Alaska, then down south to Central America. When he returned he wrote a book, kind of a travel memoir, about his trip and about the loss of his wife and daughter, and about how he came to terms with what life had so cruelly thrown at him. I need to read that book.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Not much of a Rush fan but when I went ahead and listened to the discography, Neil didn't stop improving. At the start, he sounded like Fred Townsend playing rock, using gimmicks for the fact that he couldn't lay the backbeat down right. By the end, or in the last decade of Rush, he was able to lay solid grooves and keep all of his gimmicks at the same time.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Canada has lost a true icon this week.

GOAT drummer who will never be touched. RIP Professor.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If you go to YouTube and type "N" into the search bar, "Neil Peart Drum Solo" is the first autocomplete that pops up

If you type "R" then "Rush" is the first suggestion

There's no doubt this trio from Toronto left their mark on the world

Last edited:
Reactions: Skjeikspeare

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Tremendous drummer, songwriter, author, photographer, etc. He left his mark on our species and universe.

Very private man who just wanted to be treated like a human and enjoy time with his family when he wasn't reinventing rhythm and what drums can do. Too much tragedy in the second half of his life.

Definitely some extra Rush in my workout today.

Rush went through a lot of transformations but I want to give a shoutout to Roll The Bones. I love that album especially when it gets funky. Test For Echo too.

Saw them on the Test For Echo and Clockwork Angels tours. I'll have those moments for my entire life. No one can ever take that away from me and anyone who never got to see them, I feel bad for.

When I was a teenager in the 90s when we all played in bands, wore band t-shirts, talked about music (it really was the last era where music was life) it always bothered me when going to parties or talking to girls how it was a stigma to talk about Rush. It would be considered nerdy etc. I'm so happy this notion was put to rest especially in the 2010s when Rush got nothing but love and how great they were was fully appreciated and celebrated. By all the love that Neil has received in the last 24+ hours it shows that Rush fans are the best, and is the biggest middle finger to the whole "Rush is nerdy" notion.

One last thing: per Rush's IG, definitely if you have the means, and work for a company that will match, donate to cancer research whether in Neil's name or just because. We're all impacted by this whether through stress, pollution, preservatives, genetics, etc. Let's celebrate his legacy an help beat this thing for future generations.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I always liked Counterparts.

They'd gone fairly New Wave with Moving Pictures and Signals but Counterparts proved that could strip it all back again and go with a guitar/bass/drums trio that was thunderous and hard but still musically complex.

Neil's work gets a little more attention too when there are fewer layers of synth.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I heard Neil rarely signed autographs.
Is this true ?
He wasn't as much of an extrovert as the others. He just wanted to play and was embarrassed, for lack of a better word, of the fame.

You have a reputation for being a private person, but in your blog posts and memoirs, you're quite forthcoming. In some ways you're the most open member of the band.
It is true, but I'm less comfortable in a gregarious social situation, and you can be introverted and still share everything. It just means that you're guarded. Certainly there is a line that seems perfectly clear to me about what's to be shared and what isn't, but it's not always so clear to others. Extroverts never understand introverts, and it was like that in school days. I read recently that all of us can be defined in adult life by the way others perceived us in high school. I know [people] who had the popular, good-looking path in high school; they tend not to do so well. It was a little bit too easy for them, where for those of us who struggled in every sense, perhaps our determination and self-reliance and discipline were reinforced by that.​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad