The Athletic - Boston Neely: "We have to be as brutally honest as possible"

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I wonder if "change" might involve moving Krejci, bumping Coyle up to 2C, and handing the 3C job to Studnicka.

I mean... I love DK46, but he's got a $7.25 million cap number, he's got one year left on his deal, and he only has a limited no trade clause in his contract.

Depending on what they got back in return, moving Krejci's money could open up a lot of possibilities. Taylor Hall, perhaps?

If Coyle is our 2C next season then IMO they can kiss their Cup chances goodbye before the year has even started. I like Coyle, he's been a great pickup for the Bruins, probably Sweeney's best acquisition to date. Fantastic puck-winning skills and ability to maintain possession, excellent defensively, strong body. But his play-making and passing skills just aren't elite and I don't think they're good enough for a 2nd line on a Cup contender. He's a clear step down from Krejci in that crucial regard, even now. They could staple Panarin to his left wing and I still don't think it would be enough. He's much better suited to a real grunt, checking line that can take advantage of match ups against weaker opposing lines, not trying to drive a line that needs to produce serious points. Let's not turn a strength into a potential weakness.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
If Coyle is our 2C next season then IMO they can kiss their Cup chances goodbye before the year has even started. I like Coyle, he's been a great pickup for the Bruins, probably Sweeney's best acquisition to date. Fantastic puck-winning skills and ability to maintain possession, excellent defensively, strong body. But his play-making and passing skills just aren't elite and I don't think they're good enough for a 2nd line on a Cup contender. He's a clear step down from Krejci in that crucial regard, even now. They could staple Panarin to his left wing and I still don't think it would be enough. He's much better suited to a real grunt, checking line that can take advantage of match ups against weaker opposing lines, not trying to drive a line that needs to produce serious points. Let's not turn a strength into a potential weakness.

The beauty of Coyle is that he's better than 90% of the 3C's out there, giving them a leg up in most games.

Shoehorning him into the 2C role is the same mistake they are making with JDB.

Get Krejci at least one elite winger --- put JDB with Coyle and they are legit contenders again.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
I think you will see Krug gone, Krejci traded and Chara given a contract where he can still play but sparingly.
The Bruins will look to revamp the 2nd line and bring in a top Left Defenseman.
Smaller players like Kase, Bjork, Kuhlman, Grez and Clifton will be given limited opportunity and some likely traded.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I wonder if "change" might involve moving Krejci, bumping Coyle up to 2C, and handing the 3C job to Studnicka.

I mean... I love DK46, but he's got a $7.25 million cap number, he's got one year left on his deal, and he only has a limited no trade clause in his contract.

Depending on what they got back in return, moving Krejci's money could open up a lot of possibilities. Taylor Hall, perhaps?

Years ago I'd have signed onto this, but Krejci was the same dominant playoff Krejci we'd seen in earlier years. IMO he was the best forward besides Marchand all playoffs. At $7.25m, he's on a pretty decent deal actually. Think I'd far prefer to keep him, unless the return was hard to turn down.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario

This is such a terrific post. Spot on.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I'm not saying Coyle could step in for DK46 seamlessly. I agree - he's not an ideal 2C. And I love DK and and what's he done for this organization. He's one of the most underrated Bruins of all-time in my opinion.

But reading between the lines....
  • Sweeney's making noise about potentially being players in free agency if they can make roster changes.
  • In order to be players in free agency, they're going to have to move a significant amount of salary.
  • Most of the players on the roster with significant salaries either have No Trade or No Movement clauses or they're guys you don't really want to move. (Pastrnak, McAvoy)
  • Neely says that they have a lot of players whose careers are winding down, and they have to be brutally honest when they assess their own roster.
  • Studnicka is an NHL-ready prospect who plays DK's position.

I'm just saying, if they get offered significant futures for DK, they have to consider it. Yes, moving from Krejci and Coyle as your middle six centers to Coyle and Studnicka is a downgrade. But at some point, you gain enough additional assets - cap space, draft picks, prospects, etc. - to make that downgrade worth it in other areas. Especially when you consider that Krejci only has one more year left on his contract.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
If Kuraly is core, your core is done.

What? Kuraly is an important part of the Bruins. He is only 27

You saw the lack of zip when he went out after game 2. He is also a top rated PK in the league.

Yes he is not a stat performer. But thats like saying Boone Jenner is not a stat performer ..... we all know how valuable he is to that CBJ team

Reactions: Gordoff

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I'm not saying Coyle could step in for DK46 seamlessly. I agree - he's not an ideal 2C. And I love DK and and what's he done for this organization. He's one of the most underrated Bruins of all-time in my opinion.

• Sweeney's making noise about potentially being players in free agency if they can make roster changes.
  • In order to be players in free agency, they're going to have to move a significant amount of salary.
  • Most of the players on the roster with significant salaries either have No Trade or No Movement clauses or they're guys you don't really want to move. (Pastrnak, McAvoy)
  • Neely says that they have a lot of players whose careers are winding down, and they have to be brutally honest when they assess their own roster.

I'm just saying, if they get offered significant futures for DK, they have to consider it. Yes, moving from Krejci and Coyle as your middle six centers to Coyle and Studnicka is a downgrade. But at some point, you gain enough additional assets - cap space, draft picks, prospects, etc. - to make that downgrade worth it in other areas. Especially when you consider that Krejci only has one more year left on his contract.

I agree with a lot of your reasoning here and I also agree that moving Krejci could potentially benefit the Bruins long-term, as long as they get good value out of it.

But my point essentially is that if Krejci is traded then we know management have given up on the old, existing core winning another Cup, because in the short term you're left with a 2C that almost certainly isn't good enough for a serious Cup bid, whether that's Coyle who won't quite cut it, or Studnicka who's not yet ready for that level of responsibility.

If they choose to go for the full rebuild now then so be it, as long as they do it properly, but I personally think the current core have got one shot left and they can support and boost that without compromising their future prospects too much. But we'll just have to wait and see which road they choose to take.

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
I agree with a lot of your reasoning here and I also agree that moving Krejci could potentially benefit the Bruins long-term, as long as they get good value out of it.

But my point essentially is that if Krejci is traded then we know management have given up on the old, existing core winning another Cup, because in the short term you're left with a 2C that almost certainly isn't good enough for a serious Cup bid, whether that's Coyle who won't quite cut it, or Studnicka who's not yet ready for that level of responsibility.

If they choose to go for the full rebuild now then so be it, as long as they do it properly, but I personally think the current core have got one shot left and they can support and boost that without compromising their future prospects too much. But we'll just have to wait and see which road they choose to take.

We just witnessed Krejci disappear against TBL . I'd contend Coyle is more suited to the playoffs and even more so against teams like the Lightning/Blues. Krejci's game is not suited to the banging required in the playoffs and he certainly only slows down his wingers if they want to play uptempo. Too many are being lulled in by the numbers he put up against a smaller Hurricanes team.
I almost view him as a tweener which is certainly not what you need from a #2 Center. Time to get what you can for him instead of hearing well they brought in Hall but if they only had another winger for Krejci's other side excuses.

Reactions: Gordoff and lxndr

member 96824

What? Kuraly is an important part of the Bruins. He is only 27

You saw the lack of zip when he went out after game 2. He is also a top rated PK in the league.

Yes he is not a stat performer. But thats like saying Boone Jenner is not a stat performer ..... we all know how valuable he is to that CBJ team

Sure absolutely, I'm not saying he's not important to the team or that he's a bad player but he's not a core building block that you build your franchise around. If he is, you've got 99 problems but planning a cup parade route ain't one.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Being brutally honest means accepting that the current veteran core had its last shot at Stanley Cup versus St. Louis in game 7. Break up the band and inject some new blood into the team and rebuild from there. So, goodbye to the following: Krejci, Krug, Chara and Rask.

Reactions: Gordoff

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Give Bergeron one more kick at the can. It’s already lined up perfectly, Krejci and Rask contracts expire next season. That’s almost 15m in cap space. Rebuild then.

Or... pull a Bill Belichick and ship Bergeron Krejci Rask now. Let Krug walk. Build around Pastrnak & McAvoy

Reactions: bbfan419

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I'd rather they trade Moore, Kase, Ritchie & Bjork for futures, and use that 8 Million plus the space they already have to improve via FA.

Moore - Expendable

Kase -- if they get the two wingers that I feel they need for Krejci, he doesn't fit in a 3rd line role.

Bjork - See Kase

Ritchie - Who cares if he goes

Bergeron Line

XXXX - Krejci - XXXX

JDB - Coyle - Studnicka

Kuraly - Frederic - Wagner

(Lindholm)

Reactions: NMF

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Give Bergeron one more kick at the can. It’s already lined up perfectly, Krejci and Rask contracts expire next season. That’s almost 15m in cap space. Rebuild then.

Or... pull a Bill Belichick and ship Bergeron Krejci Rask now. Let Krug walk. Build around Pastrnak & McAvoy

& They could do it, if for just once they'd be aggressive on the market and not go with half effort.

Half effort leads nowhere

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I'll be brutally honest too, Cam. You're not very good at your job. You and your GM have signed off on numerous decisions (free agent signings, trades, draft picks) that have hurt this franchise and contributed to the rapidly closing window. Time to break up the Old Boys Club and get some outsiders with no connection to the organization. Also, strip Sinden of his advisory role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad