TSN: Neely Says Bruins " Unlikely " To Retire Thomas's # 30

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I just said that.

Yet you still think Thomas deserves his number retired? Both has short careers. One was a cultural phenomena and rewrote the book on scoring forwards in the NHL to where every team is still looking for his type to this day. Plus his career was cut short due to something he had no control over.

The other backstopped one Cup and won 2 Vezinas in a very short but very high peak. The he basically flamed out.

Look, nobody loves Tim Thomas more than me. But he's not HHOF or number retirement material, especially the #30, which is 1 of the 2 most popular goalie numbers of all time (and probably why Cheevers is not up there).

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Yet you still think Thomas deserves his number retired? Both has short careers. One was a cultural phenomena and rewrote the book on scoring forwards in the NHL to where every team is still looking for his type to this day. Plus his career was cut short due to something he had no control over.

The other backstopped one Cup and won 2 Vezinas in a very short but very high peak. The he basically flamed out.

that's a bit of an exaggeration.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta

Look, nobody loves Tim Thomas more than me. But he's not HHOF or number retirement material, especially the #30, which is 1 of the 2 most popular goalies numbers of all time (and probably why Cheevers is not up there).

I disagree. I think Thomas's accomplishments are worthy of number retirement, and I think he's a borderline HHOFer. I think it comes down to the peak vs longevity argument. Thomas's peak was short, but insanely high - arguably one of the highest ever for a goaltender not named Hasek or Parent.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
that's a bit of an exaggeration.

No, it is not. They actually created the term "power forward" for him. When they add an entirely new term to the sports lexicon because of you, a term that still endures 30 years later, that's rewriting the book.

Reactions: Neely2005

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I disagree. I think Thomas's accomplishments are worthy of number retirement, and I think he's a borderline HHOFer. I think it comes down to the peak vs longevity argument. Thomas's peak was short, but insanely high - arguably one of the highest ever for a goaltender not named Hasek or Parent.

Agree to disagree.

Reactions: weaponomega

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't agree. In terms of Bruins lore, and how beloved a player was, I don't think there is a single Bruins fan (who was a fan of the team when Neely played) that didn't love what Neely brought to the team. Thomas didn't have that same level of affect on the fans, but he accomplished more and had a larger impact on the team than Neely did over his 10 years.

Neely's argument is that Thomas wasn't here long enough to have his number retired. I think it doesn't matter given Thomas's accomplishments over that time.

How exactly did Thomas accomplish more? If you are referring to the Stanley Cup, that is a team award, not an individual one. Yes Thomas made the save on Gionta, but Horton also finished it (edit: obviously referring to the MTL series).

As far as individual accomplishments, Neely did more.

They basically created a category of player based on Neely's play (Power Forward). Thomas was very good, but did he have that kind of impact?

When a goalie makes a scrambling save, we don't say, "he pulled a Thomas". We say, "he pulled a Hasek."

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but Neely didn't bring Thomas up. I believe one of the reporters asked him who the next retired number would be and suggested Thomas, which prompted the response.

It should be noted that Neely is probably looking at it as a member of the front office and not as a player, so he likely is biased. As a member of the FO, with the negative attention that Thomas brought to the team after the White House stuff, I would imagine that Neely might not be as big a fan of Thomas as he is of somebody like Middleton?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
How exactly did Thomas accomplish more? If you are referring to the Stanley Cup, that is a team award, not an individual one. Yes Thomas made the save on Gionta, but Horton also finished it (edit: obviously referring to the MTL series).
I don't disagree with the rest but you have to give TT a little more credit here, he did win the Conn Smythe that year.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't disagree with the rest but you have to give TT a little more credit here, he did win the Conn Smythe that year.

I give Thomas a lot of credit for playing a large role in the Cup win. In general, goalies can have more impact on wins and losses than any other position. That said, I still believe Neely was the better individual player at his position.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
No, it is not. They actually created the term "power forward" for him. When they add an entirely new term to the sports lexicon because of you, a term that still endures 30 years later, that's rewriting the book.

just because he was the 1st to be given that term, doesn't make him the 1st in league history. far from it.

see: Howe, Gordie

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Read the first page and have to put in my 2 cents.

I don’t care on Thomas but people keep saying he doesn’t belong in the hockey hall of fame?!?

The NHL lets everyone and anyone into the Hall of Fame.

Jim Carey will eventually make it!

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Oh, I don't know...why do you think it would matter if someone (media member I assume) came up with a term to describe a certain player's style of play at his position?

You think that means he might have been pretty good?

That's not an argument for why or why not a player is more impactful or better than another, two Vezinas, a conn smythe, two first team all-stars is.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
That's not an argument for why or why not a player is more impactful or better than another, two Vezinas, a conn smythe, two first team all-stars is.

Neely was a 4 time NHL all-star, Masterson winner, and is in the Hall of Fame (which trumps anything Thomas has done).

He scored 50 goals in 49 games (he actually did it in his 44th game)...on one leg.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
just because he was the 1st to be given that term, doesn't make him the 1st in league history. far from it.

see: Howe, Gordie

I never said he was the first. I said they literally wrote a new term in the hockey lexicon. In other words, they took the book on hockey, and rewrote it to include a term coined after Cam Neely. I.E. "Rewrote the book".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad