Neal trade.. thoughts now?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
People act like we could have gotten Hornqvist for next to nothing or that players like him are easy to find. Both he and Neal have extremely rare talents. Differing talents to be sure but rare. You never were going to get a player like them without giving up a player of that quality range. So yeah, I suppose that we could in theory have gotten both. But who else would have gone the other way? I can think of few Pens. Not Letang as Nashville didn't need a defenseman. Only Crosby or Malkin come to mind. So basically no one. There was never a way to get Hornqvist and keep Neal. Or get a player like Hornqvist on the cheap.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
People act like we could have gotten Hornqvist for next to nothing or that players like him are easy to find. Both he and Neal have extremely rare talents. Differing talents to be sure but rare. You never were going to get a player like them without giving up a player of that quality range. So yeah, I suppose that we could in theory have gotten both. But who else would have gone the other way? I can think of few Pens. Not Letang as Nashville didn't need a defenseman. Only Crosby or Malkin come to mind. So basically no one. There was never a way to get Hornqvist and keep Neal. Or get a player like Hornqvist on the cheap.

Since you're basically responding to my post without quoting it, let me give a gentle, subtle reminder that I never said nor suggested that.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Since you're basically responding to my post without quoting it, let me give a gentle, subtle reminder that I never said nor suggested that.

What was your point then? I agree that the Neal bashing is ridiculous and have said so many times in this thread. But as you say, we have become 'greasier' with more sandpaper. Did we not need to? The team that has the highest goals per game average regular is often not the team who wins when it counts. Especially when that team is an all skill perimeter team. No reasonable person is suggesting that Neal was not skilled. But what he brought we could afford to lose in exchange for some of what we had zero of. The dirty goal scoring in front of the net you see in the playoffs for one. It balances out this team.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
What was your point then? I agree that the Neal bashing is ridiculous and have said so many times in this thread. But as you say, we have become 'greasier' with more sandpaper. Did we not need to? The team that has the highest goals per game average regular is often not the team who wins when it counts. Especially when that team is an all skill perimeter team. No reasonable person is suggesting that Neal was not skilled. But what he brought we could afford to lose in exchange for some of what we had zero of. The dirty goal scoring in front of the net you see in the playoffs for one. It balances out this team.

you are making a huge leap from what i said to "getting Hornqvist for nothing."

Until YOU bridge that gap, I can't really do much

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If Perron can't work with both Crosby and Malkin,what about trading him for Neal?
Next season
Sundqvist-Malkin-Neal
Great size!

What makes you believe Nashville agrees to that exchange?

By all accounts they are as happy with Neal as we are with Hornqvist.

I haven't looked but I bet some there are saying similar unrealistic things like I read here. 'Gee, Neal is great but we should have kept both. Let's give Pittsburgh (insert some scrub or very low first in 2016) and get him back. We really should do that and have both'.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
you are making a huge leap from what i said to "getting Hornqvist for nothing."

Until YOU bridge that gap, I can't really do much

I just am not sure what point you were making. If merely a round about way of saying that the Neal bashing to makes some feel good about the trade is ridiculous I not only agree but have said the same. If you are saying more I am not getting what it is. Quite possibly it is on my end but I am genuinely asking what the point was if more than the above. Not to have made the trade? Something else? I am just asking what.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Bennetts descent into a fourth liner this year hasn't helped either. Even with horns and perron they still have a hole in the top six.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think both teams are happy with the trade. If the trade had fallen through, I bet both teams would be happy to still have their old player as well.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I would have done Neil for Hornqvist without Spaling, the later being more useful than a few 'fans' think around here.

Not only is Spaling producing more than i thought he would but his playing style is suited for the playoffs.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I was expecting him being moved, I mean McGuire had said it on the radio here in Montreal and when it was announced I really wasn't surprised. They announced it right before the Preds pick I believe, I was sure we were getting at least that pick, when Bettman announced it, I couldn't believe JR didn't get a pick from them. I thought we got screwed, but having watched Horny and Spaling this year I think we did more then fine and those are the types of players we have lacked in previous years

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Excuse me, meant to say trading at the draft

Especially considering no picks were even involved in the trade.

At least wait till after FA where you could have signed a Spaling type so you could get a high pick/prospect instead of a 3rd liner. Hell they could have gone after Winnik and saved another pick not having to trade for him.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yeah, when it comes down to it this was a beneficial trade to both parties but it seems with this team their questionable coaching and asset management just sours even the positive moves it makes.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

At least wait till after FA where you could have signed a Spaling type so you could get a high pick/prospect instead of a 3rd liner. Hell they could have gone after Winnik and saved another pick not having to trade for him.

Trades like that don't happen very frequently during or after free agency.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Spaling is our best bottom six forward right now. It was a good move by JR to pick him up. And bringing him in along with Winnik has pushed Adams out of the lineup.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean

I don't think we could've fit Winnick under the cap unless he took a deep discount to sign with us instead of Toronto. The pick is high because Toronto is retaining some salary. And taking Sill.

YinzAintBurgh*

We all saw how the Neal experience worked out. Lights it up in the regular season then disappears in playoffs. Hornqvist makes them a better playoff team. Would Neal have scored last night in OT in that wide open game, maybe. But I doubt it, he only had 2 goals and 4 assist in the wide open Flyers playoff series. Would Neal have scored that grinders goal in OT Hornqvist got in a playoff like game against LA? No.

I can't believe this is even a argument.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009

we got a young james neal , who stats in dallas were very comparable to PH's) for goligski

bennet, dupres and maybe a small add from pens should have got it done. if not, move on

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I won't lie, I was a HUGE Hornqvist fan for years so I am incredibly biased. But it's because of how good he freaking is, the guy always battles and puts in effort. The sad part is that if Neal ever had that same mentality, consistently, he would be a top 3 winger in the game, without a shred of doubt. The guy has scoring instincts that can not be taught.

However, heart, drive, intensity, and everything else that puts certain players above others...can't be taught either. It has to be there, dormant or not, it has to be. Neal showed glimpses, but never ever did it seem genuine with how he played.

Hornqvist is a guy that just embodies effort and he's got skills too and he also brings the battle mentality to get to the net and get his stick on pucks as well as always looking like a rabid wolverine chasing the puck. For me, he was what Kunitz used to be, but right handed and he's a guy I wanted to compliment Sid & Kunitz..and it finally happened. But 3yrs went back when I really wanted it to happen, 3yrs for a guy like Kunitz is tough, he's looking like he's way past his due date and is basically done at this point.

At least we got that rabid wolverine in Horny for Sid's RW.

Spaling is our best bottom six forward right now. It was a good move by JR to pick him up. And bringing him in along with Winnik has pushed Adams out of the lineup.

I'm in tears right now...someone else that gets it.

I bro you so much.

Last edited:

Michael8771*

We all saw how the Neal experience worked out. Lights it up in the regular season then disappears in playoffs. Hornqvist makes them a better playoff team. Would Neal have scored last night in OT in that wide open game, maybe. But I doubt it, he only had 2 goals and 4 assist in the wide open Flyers playoff series. Would Neal have scored that grinders goal in OT Hornqvist got in a playoff like game against LA? No.

I can't believe this is even a argument.
And I can't believe how shortsighted this post is. Crosby has ONE goal his last 17 post season games, so suggesting Neal disappears without pointing out several players, Crosby included disappear, is complete nonsense.

Are people really that narrow minded or skewed in their belief here? That Neal is the only player who soiled the bed in recent post seasons?

And, to THIS point Horny's post season numbers flat out stink! I'm not saying that'll continue, but lets use a little bit of context here.

Again, Crosby was doing so poorly that they tried pulling Malkin off of his line with Neal to help Crosby. Why is that fact never brought up?

Last edited by a moderator:

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
I'm looking forward to watching The Pens in the playoffs. Considering the disappointing playoff results of the team during the Neal Era I'm anxious to see what Hornqvist's hard working, energizer of a net-front presence can do for us to change things. Spaling gets very little love around here but part of that has to do with being miscast at the beginning of the year skating in the top six. As a bottom six player he's an excellent addition particularly in view of the bottom six garbage like Tanner Glass, Craig Adams, Chuck Kobasew, Chris Conner, Taylor Pyatt, Harry Zolnierczyk, etc. that has littered our lineup in recent years. I'd do this trade again in a heartbeat.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
we got a young james neal , who stats in dallas were very comparable to PH's) for goligski

bennet, dupres and maybe a small add from pens should have got it done. if not, move on

Except teams don't trade players like Patric Hornqvist just for the hell of it. Bennett, Despres, + might have been solid value, but Nashville didn't need Despres (they are stacked on D) and Bennett wasn't nearly proven enough to make it work. Also, salary cap exists.

So no, we couldn't have gotten Hornqvist for that package.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If Perron can't work with both Crosby and Malkin,what about trading him for Neal?
Next season
Sundqvist-Malkin-Neal
Great size!

I'd keep Perron before trading him for Neal. He's better with his 1-1 and playmaking skills. He doesn't have the size or shot that Neal does - or his ability to find open space, but has a better rounded out game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad