Player Discussion Neal Pionk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You think all those teams cut him loose because he wasn't flashy? That's probably more bizarre then the Stralman comparison itself. It's pretty obvious how you judge players and their defensive capability it's clearly though just a certain stat sheet and a single lens alone.
Because this HF where instead of using stats as evidence, we use the opinions of dynasties like the 2009 Leafs and the 2011 Blue Jackets.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
@Machinehead , you’re off base in your evaluation of Pionk. Where did you get this 4/5 times he is not making the right play? Cmon, Don’t think so (maybe you have a particular game in mind but even then I don’t think its right).

P.S. Out of all rookie defensemen this season Pionk has done better on a defensive side by a mile. If this is how you view Pionk I’m afraid to ask what you think about the rest (though it is hard to see a regular NHLer out of any of the rest, sans ADA)
I don't know what games you're watching if you don't see that Pionk is lost in his own zone. This is why the eye test is garbage - everyone sees what they want to see.

Reactions: silverfish

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don't know what games you're watching if you don't see that Pionk is lost in his own zone. This is why the eye test is garbage - everyone sees what they want to see.

Really interested to hear: would your stats tell you if Pionk's issues were due to his individual struggles on the defensive end as a player or due to AV's system?

What I see is everyone struggling to keep up, and Pionk doesn't negatively standout like, for instance, Gilmour, O'Hara etc do.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Really interested to hear: would your stats tell you if Pionk's issues were due to his individual struggles on the defensive end as a player or due to AV's system?

What I see is everyone struggling to keep up, and Pionk doesn't negatively standout like, for instance, Gilmour, O'Hara etc do.

His numbers relative to team are discouraging.

It's possible that he's just in over his head as a 1RD, and his #fancystats will chill out if he's used correctly next year.

Reactions: lucky13

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
His numbers relative to team are discouraging.

It's possible that he's just in over his head as a 1RD, and his #fancystats will chill out if he's used correctly next year.

Yup, the bigger role the more he's exposed in a faulty system. And the additional context is that he's not expected to be that when eventually things fall into places.

Reactions: Ola

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Yup, the bigger role the more he's exposed in a faulty system. And the additional context is that he's not expected to be that when eventually things fall into places.
Yes, and he gets many defensive zone starts. And on top of those starts, he is usually put out against other team's top lines.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Yeah there is a large area between "abhorrent defensively" and "not a #1D"...
Well, interesting enough, it's the lack of offense he's bringing that's really crushing his advanced metrics. With Pionk on the ice, the Rangers take 13.27 less shot attempts per 60 than with him on the ice. That's fourth worst in the league among d-men who have appeared in 15 games. Santini, Y. Weber, Bartkowski. [corsica.hockey].

Again, totally possible that as his usage settles, so do his advanced stats. How much you think it is going to have an impact is the debate. One of which I'm happy to leave out of this thread :) but if you want to really hate me, you can pop in the Advanced Stats Thread :laugh:

One thing I will say, though, is that people tend to forget that as your competition gets lighter, so does the strength of your teammates. Just a thought.

Okay, bye!

Reactions: Ola

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Silverfish: "I'm gonna stay out of the Pionk thread. There hasn't been many positives this year, and I'll at least let people have this one until next season when we can get a better look at where he's at as a player."

Also Silverfish:
5d3b78c23865360c76f40d6e7f171bfc.648x264x77.gif

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Silverfish: "I'm gonna stay out of the Pionk thread. There hasn't been many positives this year, and I'll at least let people have this one until next season when we can get a better look at where he's at as a player."

Also Silverfish:
5d3b78c23865360c76f40d6e7f171bfc.648x264x77.gif
Man, you know my true feelings and how PG I've kept it in here. Don't tempt me............

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well, interesting enough, it's the lack of offense he's bringing that's really crushing his advanced metrics.
That is the problem with trying to solely judge him by the metrics. The lack of offense he's bringing. That means that only offensive defensemen would look good utilizing advanced metrics. The more defensive ones look poor. The kid is not an offensive defenseman. So what? By and large, he has looked just fine.

Speaking of looking, what was the last top defenseman that has looked good in this vaunted system?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
That is the problem with trying to solely judge him by the metrics. The lack of offense he's bringing. That means that only offensive defensemen would look good utilizing advanced metrics. The more defensive ones look poor. The kid is not an offensive defenseman. So what? By and large, he has looked just fine.

Speaking of looking, what was the last top defenseman that has looked good in this vaunted system?
Mmm. I think I'd disagree with this, but that would take this thread OT. Happy to discuss in the advanced stats thread if you'd like. Otherwise, all good!

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Not really. Most people didn't realize how good he was here until after he was gone.

Not me . A lot of other people knew how good he was but he couldn't be kept because were going to be paying three defenseman 6 million dollars per year going forward. He was a salary cap casualty and at the time we couldn't give him term he sought.

Reactions: Mandar

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not me . A lot of other people knew how good he was but he couldn't be kept because were going to be paying three defenseman 6 million dollars per year going forward. He was a salary cap casualty and at the time we couldn't give him term he sought.

He wasn't a cap casualty, he was a Rangers stupidity causality.

Reactions: Phnxldr

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Ya know who Pionk reminds me of? James Wisniewski. Both have BIG shots, offensive ability, play bigger than their size, and aren’t particularly good defensively.

Wiz was quicker in his prime, but he took the dumbest penalties routinely. Good comparison tho imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad