Player Discussion Neal Pionk: Part II

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
He's playing 25 minutes because we don't have really have a ton of other options. Coaches are way more in tune as to the capabilities of their players and obviously Quinn trusts Pionk playing the big minutes over guys like Staal or Shatty. It's not very complicated.

Either that or he sees him as a huge part of the future and is willing to live with his mistakes if it means he will grow quicker.

The coaching staff plays Pionk a lot of minutes because he's the only right defenseman they trust in all situations.

Reactions: we want cup

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Pionk is for all intents and purposes, a rookie defenseman. When he gets a little stronger and smarter (and at some point acquires a new partner) he has a chance to be a star. Let him grow up. He has some top tier skills that you can’t teach and the coaches trust him. That’s a helluva starting place.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Star? I don’t see that. DeAngelo to me is the much better player. But I think Pionk can be a solid player as we go along here. As I always say righty dmen so valuable.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If Pionk was a first or second round pick of ours in 2013, I have to wonder if we’d be scrutinizing him this closely.

My gut says probably not.
Longer leash but I don't think it would be too far off from where it is now.

Especially since this would be D+5 season.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Star? I don’t see that. DeAngelo to me is the much better player. But I think Pionk can be a solid player as we go along here. As I always say righty dmen so valuable.
I hope he becomes the better player but right now, no.

I knew Pionk was over 22 minutes a night but I was a little surprised he's all the way up to 22:51. That's a ton of ice, most on the team. It shows how the coached feel which is a factor I consider highly when I rate a player.

We can revisit this conversation when ADA gets over 22 minutes a night.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Trial by fire. Good for a young player

Are we showcasing Pionk? Wouldn’t surprise me if Pionk was traded this season. We have Shatty and TDA already in the NHL. Keane and Lundkvist doing well being a few years off before they should start to compete. AND we need to add size at RD. In essence Shatty, TDA, Pionk, Keane and Lundkvist are competing for 2 spots. I lost his name, is it Adam Fox, the Calgary college pick going to Carolina, the talk about him wanting to go to NYR could definitely be true.

I don’t mind Pionk at all, but I rather see him traded than lose TDA on waivers if there are no market for Shatty/TDA.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Oh how surprised I am. I did not trash two articles, one by a math professor, I trashed you taking one conclusion made in them and applying it on something else. On average in the NHL QoC doesn’t have a major impact — that is was stated in the article. I described why that isn’t the case in individual cases.

But I know, you zoned out. Have you ever read any of my posts? Lol didn’t think so. You should because you are pretty lost at times.

I've read plenty of your posts and i'm certainly not the one that's lost, thank you very much.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
In all fairness, my reply was less funny than your explanation for what was missing in his game.

So tell me what was wrong in my explanation, please. Is he very good at defending the blueline? Does he never give the puck away by throwing it up the walls? Is he calm under pressure? No.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
This is a pretty bad take. The other team gets paid to do stuff too, like block shots. None of them were the egregious blast it into the shin pads of a charging player, he was moving to change his angle on all 3.
Probably better to keep control the puck and get it deep and work on a clearer attempt to the net but I hear what you’re saying as well.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
So tell me what was wrong in my explanation, please. Is he very good at defending the blueline? Does he never give the puck away by throwing it up the walls? Is he calm under pressure? No.

Yeah as i was trying to allude to with “shooting metrics” was your argument was vague and weak.

“Does he never give up the puck?”

You got me.

Outstanding analysis sir!

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Yeah as i was trying to allude to with “shooting metrics” was your argument was vague and weak.

“Does he never give up the puck?”

You got me.

Outstanding analysis sir!

Shot metrics was never the argument, i was merely explaining why his numbers are so bad since that's the disconnect. Eye test crew says he's great, number crunchers says he's bad, there's a disconnect and i'm trying to explain WHY his underlying numbers are bad. But whatever, you keep being an ignorant and arrogant fool instead.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Shot metrics was never the argument, i was merely explaining why his numbers are so bad since that's the disconnect. Eye test crew says he's great, number crunchers says he's bad, there's a disconnect and i'm trying to explain WHY his underlying numbers are bad. But whatever, you keep being an ignorant and arrogant fool instead.

Yes the “number crunchers” mind you are often high schoolers who couldnt count to 20 with their shoes on or without excel.

Pionk has looked good and get this performed and realized good results thus far despite his expected points/Tuesday/per t shirt toss in the second period.

Can I let you guys on a little bit of a secret...

I don’t think the choice of roster spots long term is between Pionk and ADA.

They probabyl both have a shot.

Isn’t that great! Now that I let you guys in on that they both can contribute , you are all now free from writing narratives and conspiracy theories longer than the entire series of game of thrones because your fears of no ADA are not in the hands of Pionk.

Reactions: Ola

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Yes the “number crunchers” mind you are often high schoolers who couldnt count to 20 with their shoes on or without excel.

Pionk has looked good and get this performed and realized good results thus far despite his expected points/Tuesday/per t shirt toss in the second period.

Isn’t that great! Now that I let you guys in on that they both can contribute , you are all now free from writing narratives and conspiracy theories longer than the entire series of game of thrones because your fears of no ADA are not in the hands of Pionk.

Oh f*** off, i'm 30 and i don't use excelt thank you very much mr old moron.

Pionk needs to improve defensively, he's bleeding shots and that's not a good thing. I haven't even mentioned ADA.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Are we showcasing Pionk? Wouldn’t surprise me if Pionk was traded this season. We have Shatty and TDA already in the NHL. Keane and Lundkvist doing well being a few years off before they should start to compete. AND we need to add size at RD. In essence Shatty, TDA, Pionk, Keane and Lundkvist are competing for 2 spots. I lost his name, is it Adam Fox, the Calgary college pick going to Carolina, the talk about him wanting to go to NYR could definitely be true.

I don’t mind Pionk at all, but I rather see him traded than lose TDA on waivers if there are no market for Shatty/TDA.

I'm a little confused by your posts. You often advocate trading guys with the assumption that prospects are going to be successful NHL'ers. Keane and Lundkvist are hardly surefire bets. Speculating about Adam Fox is absolutely insane.

Pionk shouldn't be traded. I will lose my shit if I have to watch an offensive RHD become a star elsewhere after we let him go for draft picks. ADA also should not be traded for the same reasons. If anything, get rid of Shattenkirk. I'd have to imagine there is a market for him and if not, we can juice it by eating salary. He only has 2 more years after this one. We can easily retain a million +.

I just don't see how anyone at this point would prefer to keep Shattenkirk over Pionk. There is almost no way we compete for a cup before Shatty's contract is over and he has been extremely underwhelming anyway. I would much rather have Pionk-ADA-Claesson or whoever + 5million cap space, instead of Shatty-ADA-Claesson or whoever +draft pick.

I agree with all your points, but when you make condescending stereotypical remarks towards a younger generation it completely destroys the valuable additions to the conversation you offer.

It's also always hilarious to me (I'm 29) that the older generation rips on the younger one for being technology savvy. You guys do realize that if we don't have basic excel skills and the like we'll probably end up bagging groceries, right?

Reactions: ManUtdTobbe

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I'm a little confused by your posts. You often advocate trading guys with the assumption that prospects are going to be successful NHL'ers. Keane and Lundkvist are hardly surefire bets. Speculating about Adam Fox is absolutely insane.

Pionk shouldn't be traded. I will lose my **** if I have to watch an offensive RHD become a star elsewhere after we let him go for draft picks. ADA also should not be traded for the same reasons. If anything, get rid of Shattenkirk. I'd have to imagine there is a market for him and if not, we can juice it by eating salary. He only has 2 more years after this one. We can easily retain a million +.

I just don't see how anyone at this point would prefer to keep Shattenkirk over Pionk. There is almost no way we compete for a cup before Shatty's contract is over and he has been extremely underwhelming anyway. I would much rather have Pionk-ADA-Claesson or whoever + 5million cap space, instead of Shatty-ADA-Claesson or whoever +draft pick.

I agree with all your points, but when you make condescending stereotypical remarks towards a younger generation it completely destroys the valuable additions to the conversation you offer.

It's also always hilarious to me (I'm 29) that the older generation rips on the younger one for being technology savvy. You guys do realize that if we don't have basic excel skills and the like we'll probably end up bagging groceries, right?

OK look I'm not saying all, but an overwhelming majority of the most fiendish advanced stat posters are definitely college age, and do not even remotely have the background to check "their data", and by "their data", I mean something they regurgitated off a website that is only conclusive via circular logic vis a vi the same people reading it.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Oh **** off, i'm 30 and i don't use excelt thank you very much mr old moron.

Pionk needs to improve defensively, he's bleeding shots and that's not a good thing. I haven't even mentioned ADA.

I didn't say he's an all star. He's been playing well, and it's very early in the season. I do not agree at all that he has been "bleeding" anything, and I think terms like that are just a bunch of BS.

And yes, just because you don't care about ADA v. Pionk, a lot of the rabbling is exactly about that, and it clouds every discussion.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

Pionk shouldn't be traded. I will lose my **** if I have to watch an offensive RHD become a star elsewhere after we let him go for draft picks. ADA also should not be traded for the same reasons. If anything, get rid of Shattenkirk. I'd have to imagine there is a market for him and if not, we can juice it by eating salary. He only has 2 more years after this one. We can easily retain a million +.

I haven't found saying "Hey Siri what's the Ranger score" to be super tech savvy.

Also, everyone thinks I'm way older than I am.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad