Confirmed with Link: Neal Pionk - four-year extension, AAV of $5.875 million

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I agree about Comrie, AHL'er.

In '20 Berdin racked up his good numbers in the first half of the season, and was weak in the second half. Finishing with decent numbers on the whole season doesn't alter that.

Last year in the AHL:
Berdin - .897 in 30 games
Comrie - .947 in only 4 games
Comrie was better in '20 also.
I think that after last year, Berdin needs to prove himself.

At this point I think Berdin likely have more room to improve though. Comrie pretty much is what he is. A career AHLer who likely will never get a foothold in the NHL. He's just not very big and if you aren't very big you have to be fast and he's not very fast. Works in the AHL where the best shooters are gone by the time they are 22-23. Not so much in the NHL where almost every team has a few players in their top 6 that can pick that massive hole that opens up over your shoulder when you drop into the butterfly.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just curious what you'd say if I could offer you a nice shiny trouba who never left instead of pionk on this deal? I have a feeling the nyr got obliterated on this one

To make it more fun...also answer based on if you got to keep the first rounder we sent

Trouba was a very good fit with Morrissey. The pair worked well.
But you can keep Trouba. We'll keep Pionk, the cap hit difference and the 1st.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
So Morrissey and Pionk were the PP guys last season.
Will they go to one 3F2D set up for PP2 or will one of Morrissey or Pionk lose PP TOI for Schmidt?
What do you suggest? I just don’t think Morrissey is good on pp based on my eye test, which we know is such a good test, not, so should be Schmidt and Pionk. Ves takes Perrault’s spot on pp.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Will they go to one 3F2D set up for PP2 or will one of Morrissey or Pionk lose PP TOI for Schmidt?
Schmidt will be the primary QB for the PP. this is my guarantee for the year.

We could roll a PP unit with Pionk, Morrissey, Schmidt, Niku with Stanley in front of the net.

Reactions: Jetsetter

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
At this point I think Berdin likely have more room to improve though. Comrie pretty much is what he is. A career AHLer who likely will never get a foothold in the NHL. He's just not very big and if you aren't very big you have to be fast and he's not very fast. Works in the AHL where the best shooters are gone by the time they are 22-23. Not so much in the NHL where almost every team has a few players in their top 6 that can pick that massive hole that opens up over your shoulder when you drop into the butterfly.

Berdin is only 1 inch taller. He is small by today's goalie standards too. But I agree he has more potential.

Comrie's ship has sailed. Jets have surprised me by bringing him back - twice now - and on a 1 way contract no less. I think Eddie Pasquale is more likely an NHL backup than Comrie is and he is approaching 31 YO, established in the KHL and not likely to ever see the NHL again. But right now, Comrie is what we have.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
What do you suggest? I just don’t think Morrissey is good on pp based on my eye test, which we know is such a good test, not, so should be Schmidt and Pionk. Ves takes Perrault’s spot on pp.

I (without looking at numbers) would go Pionk and Schmidt.
A lot of PP numbers are role and opportunity, but Pionk has been pretty great there.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'd be surprised if Pionk isn't on the PP. My guess would be that Schmidt replaces Morrissey.

On the other hand, it's not like we have 4 obvious forwards for PP2. It's possible that 3F2D is a better idea. I still hope Perfetti will be on our PP, but even then I'm not sure we have 7 PP worthy forwards, even if Copp is re-signed.

On the third hand, I'm not sure what Morrissey would do on PP2. Play the trigger man on the right side maybe?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd be surprised if Pionk isn't on the PP. My guess would be that Schmidt replaces Morrissey.

On the other hand, it's not like we have 4 obvious forwards for PP2. It's possible that 3F2D is a better idea. I still hope Perfetti will be on our PP, but even then I'm not sure we have 7 PP worthy forwards, even if Copp is re-signed.
You’d rather morissey on pp vs ves or Harkins? I’d personally love to see what Harkins does on pp.
I’d love to see Pionk on top unit.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Morrissey should be removed from the PP. Pionk was a good fit on the Ehlers unit so I would start the season with him manning the point on the Ehlers unit and Schmidt on the Scheifele unit and move them around as necessary based on the PP running hot/cold. They will still have enough firepower upfront that they don't need to force 2 d on a unit.

Reactions: hn777

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
You’d rather morissey on pp vs ves or Harkins? I’d personally love to see what Harkins does on pp.
I’d love to see Pionk on top unit.
I forgot about Ves! He should probably be our right side triggerman.

I've never gotten the impression that Harkins has the attributes we're looking for on the PP. Plug him in front of the net, maybe, but I'm not sure he'd do that better than other players.

I thought Pionk looked better on PP2 than he did on PP1 last season, oddly. I'd keep him there.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Morrissey should be removed from the PP. Pionk was a good fit on the Ehlers unit so I would start the season with him manning the point on the Ehlers unit and Schmidt on the Scheifele unit and move them around as necessary based on the PP running hot/cold. They will still have enough firepower upfront that they don't need to force 2 d on a unit.

Ehlers has to be on the 1st PP unit.

I heard last year that he like the 2nd PP unit because he was the dominate player and play driver. Ehlers should get what he wants with the PP again this season where he is in control of the PP.

Ehlers has to be on the 1st PP unit.

Reactions: Jets 31 and hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I forgot about Ves! He should probably be our right side triggerman.

I've never gotten the impression that Harkins has the attributes we're looking for on the PP. Plug him in front of the net, maybe, but I'm not sure he'd do that better than other players.

I thought Pionk looked better on PP2 than he did on PP1 last season, oddly. I'd keep him there.

It depends what side the one timer is coming from as to which dmen plays in which unit imo.

Reactions: Romang67

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think what the poster meant was if Pionk played EXACTLY like he does now but was 6' 3" and 20lb heavier he would be just that much better with the extra reach and weight to inflict damage when he hits. This would also cost the Jets about 2m a year more in todays wage environment for RWD. Thank god Pionk is the size he is.

Now that I have thought about Pionk new contract that I thought was about $500,000+ to expensive I've change my mind. This is a fair to good contract for the Jets. If Pionk who will now play with much better partners this season takes another step up in his play then this contract will be a steal.

I think that if Pionk was 6'3, 215 and EXACTLY the same player that he is, that is no longer reach, no more physical, neither faster nor slower, etc, he would still get 1.5-2 mil more just based on the perceptions.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Even if we lose Copp changing out Forbort and Poolman for Schmidt and Dillon gets a A+ from me.

I'll wait for the dust to settle before deciding on a rating. Sure looking good right now.
Not just because he got Pionk signed, but he got him for the right term and a VG AAV.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I (without looking at numbers) would go Pionk and Schmidt.
A lot of PP numbers are role and opportunity, but Pionk has been pretty great there.

Agree but prefer to try Schmidt out on the first pp, Pionk can run the 2nd.

Pionks pass to Connor, a right hander passing to a leftie, It lacks the quickness to fully utilize Connor’s blast. Its not bad but not great.

If Nate can make that pass smoother, especially off a fake shot, I think we could exploit our power plays best weapon which is Connor’s shot off the hash.

Schmidt has a really solid ability to tow the line, fake shots and create lanes. That’s going open shots for Connor.

I think Pionk Ehlers could create a strong second unit.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Another great signing for the Jets. I like the price and I like what Pionk brings to this team, and he's only getting better, and growing in confidence. He's a great playmaker, and very slick with the puck, and for a smaller Dman, he plays big, and not afraid to hit guys. Exactly what we need. Chevy fixed the defence in just one year -- very well done.

You gotta tip your hat to Chevy -- he's a master negotiator, and doesn't piss away millions of dollars and "overpay" guys like the other clubs do, and this is what will give us depth and a Cup contending team.

BTW -- This will put a lot of psychological pressure on Copp to sign, when he sees all these guys resigning with the Jets. I bet he signs here too. He'll want to play for a winner, like the Jets.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Wow, that's a great deal for the Jets all things considered.
One thing telling about this signing is that Chevy is going for it in the next 3-4 years and he won't be doing it with Copper. No way they can fit him in for anything over 4m and he won't sign for that.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wow, that's a great deal for the Jets all things considered.
One thing telling about this signing is that Chevy is going for it in the next 3-4 years and he won't be doing it with Copper. No way they can fit him in for anything over 4m and he won't sign for that.

I think they might still trade Copp. But I wouldn't be surprised if they sign him to something like 2-3 x 4.5M. They would need to do some roster gymnastics, running a short roster (21 player) for stretches. But there are ways they can fit a 4-4.5M cap hit, I think.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I agree about Comrie, AHL'er.

In '20 Berdin racked up his good numbers in the first half of the season, and was weak in the second half. Finishing with decent numbers on the whole season doesn't alter that.

Last year in the AHL:
Berdin - .897 in 30 games
Comrie - .947 in only 4 games
Comrie was better in '20 also.
I think that after last year, Berdin needs to prove himself.

Berlin proved he was nowhere near NHL ready!

and more than likely never will be, if Comrie is the backup we need to pray for Helly’s well being!

Jets will pickup a veteran NHL goalie to backup Helly, write it in pen!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad