Confirmed with Link: Neal Pionk - four-year extension, AAV of $5.875 million

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
Happy for Pionk, he clearly has been our best dman the past two years and I expect that to continue the next couple years. Reality check time for me, I was very harsh on the day of that trade. Props to Neal for turning into what he has become and Jets pro scouting in projecting his capability. People can say it is luck all they want but turning a no win situation in Trouba wanting out into Pionk and Heinola is probably a best case scenario outcome (yes I know the original Kevin Hayes trade stunk).

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
How in the world would you have convinced Pionk that he should sign for $4.5M long term when he's 13th in D-man scoring and has good defensive numbers during his time as a Jet, playing the vast majority of his minutes with Sbisa or Forbort?
Obviously if you asked him REALLY nicely he would've. Not sure why Chevy didn't just say "pretty please with sugar on top."

Chevy fails again! I feel like this is already strongly implied, but here's a :sarcasm: anyway, so everyone knows I'm not that far off my rocker.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Such great news! I’d hoped for this kind of number & term but honestly thought the AAV would be a Million & change higher.

Deserves another
3C12D740-6089-4F2E-A4BC-783650493303.gif

As many others have mentioned, now it looks comfortable for Copp.

Celebration memes…
53279F05-4C05-4F98-B20E-88C292F4693E.jpeg
AD074267-C8BC-440E-AF54-E02547A9AEC0.jpeg
B8CA0B80-1E84-48DC-B9CA-EB660BBAA60A.jpeg
A201FF6B-A396-4944-B358-F2FCFA908D5A.jpeg
462BB8C0-F1CD-4294-B234-FC0D79707FF7.jpeg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Good Deal, I may even start watching games again now that they arent icing an AHL caliber blue line.

As a fair weather fan why not wait and hedge your bets?

I am an unapologetic, dabble only, fair weather fan for all teams other than Jets and my NFL Fantasy teams. No use waisting time in life (I’m not being sarcastic).

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
100% this ^^

If Pionk was the identical player but 6’3” then back up the Brinks truck.
Actually if he was identical but 6’3” he would be a lot better. Not too many players would be standing in front of the net and when he hit a player that player probably wouldn’t be getting up. His shot and reach would be a lot better too.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Actually if he was identical but 6’3” he would be a lot better. Not too many players would be standing in front of the net and when he hit a player that player probably wouldn’t be getting up. His shot and reach would be a lot better too.

Being big doesn't necessarily make you more physical. Dougie Hamilton is soft as baby shit compared to Pionk in both the taking and giving hits department, dude looks scared his own shadow is going to bury him in the corner sometimes.

But yeah if Pionk was bigger he'd definitely have more power behind his physical play. Reach is good if you can use it effectively not all bigger players do and sometimes the added size makes them slower and actually less effective in some ways, though there are plenty of exceptions there..

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Great contract for the Jets and for Pionk! He'll get one more big contract in his career and can explore UFA if he wants and the Jets get his prime years signed to a reasonable amount.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
agreed. 8 year deals imo are only good for elite talents or guys in early 20s. 26 year old dman with 1 great year, i wouldn't commit 8 years to him. Hamilton i think is elite all-around so 7 years, sure......not so much Jones or Nurse though.

think this is a fair deal for both sides. not an overpay, not a discount.

I expected 6 for Pionk, taking him to 32. I also expected a higher AAV. As it is I am happy with both term and AAV. See how well he plays and how well he stands up for the next 3 years and then decide whether to extend him or not and at what price.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pleased am I. Oh, and this:

Missed it by that much.

I don't agree with this at all. They don't simply use other players on the same team for comps. They don't use players signed years ago for comps.

How do you explain KC getting 7.142 when Mark is only getting 6.125?

I'd bet that what Mark is getting was never mentioned by anyone in this negotiation.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah I don't get it.

You now have half your money riding on Dubois, Wheeler, Statsny.

Two old guys and an unproven fella.

This forward group looks like it's gonna be hella weak if they get caught up with the injury bug.

I can only assume they're about to do some wild trades.

What?

I mean just .... what?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It looks a little better than it is because of the 4 year term. If we had gone 6 or 7 years like most of us wanted you likely see it up in the $6.5 range. But Chevy got it done and left us some room for a little bit more.

I don't know. I think shorter term costs more. The total value of the contract comes into play. Why would Pionk sign for lower AAV and shorter term? He is giving up the security of longer term, he should expect more AAV in exchange.

That said I was expecting him to get the Morrissey AAV and 6 years. With the recent big contracts signed elsewhere, I was thinking he might get even more than that, up to ~6.75 or even a bit more.

I think he took a discount and signed for a favourable term too. I'm very happy with both term and AAV.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you say so, I'll trust you on this.

Comire seems completely unproven at the nhl level from what cap friendly tells me.

I have to admit with a stack d corp they can survive with a lessor goalie.

EDIT: For the record I forgot how many young forwards we had.

I understand doubt about Comrie, but he is not the starter. We have a Vezina winner for that.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad