NCAA Thread v7

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Every time someone talks about the Power 5 breaking away and then having a 16-team playoff, I get very, very excited. @LegionOfDoom91 does not like this idea lol

I’m basically warming it up to it because bowl games like it or not are going the way of the dodo bird.

Don’t think it’s necessarily needed to find a winner at this current stage as there’s just a big gap between the Alabama, Clemson, & Ohio State’s of the world & everybody else & so on. There’s a noticeable gap between them the next wave of teams like Oklahoma, Georgia, Notre Dame, etc. let alone moving down multiple tiers.

But perhaps you can get some quality games in the mean time with possibly full rosters (no-opt outs like the bowl games).

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Fields is a legitimate athlete too.

Let's see what happens when he has to throw to guys before they're open and doesn't have an eternity to find plays.

That's the problem with OSU QBs. Is isn't ability. It's that the rest of the team and offense makes it so easy for them that adjusting to the NFL is a massive leap. Especially when they go to bad teams. This is a major reason I wanted zero part of Haskins.

Fields ability to flee is going to give him a much better shot than prior QBs though. Definitely still the best shot at success from the bunch.

Reactions: renberg

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Let's see what happens when he has to throw to guys before they're open and doesn't have an eternity to find plays.

That's the problem with OSU QBs. Is isn't ability. It's that the rest of the team and offense makes it so easy for them that adjusting to the NFL is a massive leap. Especially when they go to bad teams. This is a major reason I wanted zero part of Haskins.

Fields ability to flee is going to give him a much better shot than prior QBs though. Definitely still the best shot at success from the bunch.

But that’s basically every big college. Clemson went from Watson to Lawerence with same coaches & a lot of talent on the field too. Nobody questions Lawerence because unlike Haskins, Watson is a success in the NFL too.

Since Day’s been there as OC or HC they’ve had three QB’s. 1 year of Barrett (who I don’t think at any point anybody considered him a legitimate NFL QB prospect), 1 year of Haskins, & currently in his 2nd year of Fields.

QB’s are definitely a crapshoot at both the college & NFL level as well as going to bad situations can hurt but Fields is a pretty uber talent & clearly better than most prospects not just at Ohio State recently but the country as well.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
and after a delay and some Temple players removed because of contact tracing since the one player tested positive at the hospital on an antigen test after his girlfriend had tested positive.

The game SHALL GO ON!

Because it is super important to play a football game between two 1-5 teams with an outbreak of COVID-19 possibly thrown into the mix.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
But that’s basically every big college. Clemson went from Watson to Lawerence with same coaches & a lot of talent on the field too. Nobody questions Lawerence because unlike Haskins, Watson is a success in the NFL too.

Since Day’s been there as OC or HC they’ve had three QB’s. 1 year of Barrett (who I don’t think at any point anybody considered him a legitimate NFL QB prospect), 1 year of Haskins, & currently in his 2nd year of Fields.

QB’s are definitely a crapshoot at both the college & NFL level as well as going to bad situations can hurt but Fields is a pretty uber talent & clearly better than most prospects not just at Ohio State recently but the country as well.

Clemson QBs play closer to an NFL style to my eye than OSU; I don't question Lawrence as much because I've seen him throw ahead of routes all the time, trusting and knowing his WRs in those situations. On the other hand I really question Trask, because I see a lot of him doing less pro-things and more collegey-things. Like OSU QBs, there's a lot of waiting for players to get open that will not exist in the NFL, and that's a big shock when that goes away.

I'm also wary of any school that tends to have a big talent advantage over their competition. That disparity doesn't exist in the NFL. It's a huge mental leap to go from QBing with guys who are superior to guys who are mostly equal. It's basically a different game. Probably the biggest thing, and we aren't gonna really know about this until he's in the pros, is gonna be his willingness to study. We always hear "Oh this guy has great work ethic, he loves working out, he throws the ball whenever he can and runs drills." But that's not the same as being willing to watch hours and hours of tape and study his playbook to know all the routes instinctively and anticipate plays, rather than reacting after you seem someone breaking open. That's another big shift for really talented QBs; those guys often get by by being the best athlete on the field, and so their preference seems to skew towards honing those skills. You need your brain to beat NFL defenses.

That's another reason I like Lawrence more; we've seen him go against and shred really excellent defenses where there isn't such a talent gap.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Don’t start.

Trask gives me a really strong Rex Grossman vibe. But he also puts some stupid accuracy on those long bombs so maybe he can pull that style off. He can put a ball into a trashcan from fifty yards out, but while the trashcan is strapped to a moving golf cart.

Dude is a wild card.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
All college QBs are wildcards. ;)

I wouldn't say all. I can state with absolute certainty that VT's QB, Hooker, will not ever play QB in the pros.

But I think it would be a good idea for someone to sign him to convert him to something else. Between him and Logan Thomas we are really big on having QBs who probably shouldn't be QBs.

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad