GDT: NCAA Hoops thread

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Way too much criticism of the UConn illegal screen call last night. Imo, Edwards wasn't set and literally bumped Marshall out of the play. I guess one can argue that they should have swallowed their whistles at that point in the game, but wouldn't it have been just as controversial if that illegal screen freed up Bueckers for the game winning shot? A foul earlier in the game should be a foul at the end of the game.

Sep 19, 2008
Sucks.

I watched them come into the ACC tournament on day one in DC and nobody expected them to do anything. They had lost 7 of 9 going in. They beat Louisville, they beat Syracuse, Duke, Virginia and UNC to win the ACC.

Aftewards I ran down to the lower bowl from my perch up high and watched the confetti fall. I watched Keats threaten to win the whole damn thing and that this wasn't enough.

I smiled at that comment. I didn't think they'd go this far though. They went all the way to the Final Four with this team. They knocked off Duke twice during this run, and Marquette. They got taken to OT by Oakland, and beat Texas Tech.

A pretty good run that sadly has to come to an end. Just outplayed by Purdue.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Cal running from Kentucky. Odd choice as he will the center of attention every sec team he visits
Gets Cal away from Kentucky without Kentucky having to buy him out.

I'm confident they also negotiated down the buyout clause on Calipari's side to make it work. Edit: didn't even have to, apparently the buyout was $0 for Calipari to leave.

Arkansas is a demanding place for Cal to spend his last few years of his career, but if he does better with the interpersonal stuff than Musselman did then Cal should have a pretty long honeymoon.

Where Kentucky goes will be very interesting. Drew and Oats will get thrown around, but Oats is not worth what his buyout from Alabama will be (reported $10M). I think Drew is still staying at Baylor after turning down Louisville.

Mark Pope feels like the fallback hire, but could be the best option for Kentucky long-term. If he can do well recruiting to BYU, Kentucky could be set up well with him.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
UConn is just on another level from everyone else right now. Now that the portal and NIL are a thing where players are literally able to get paid legally then transfer out if they're not getting PT Kentucky loading up with 10 future NBA picks doesn't mean shit when they're going up against guys 4-5 years older, that are better coached, who now decide to stick around instead of going to Europe or China when they know they're not good enough for the NBA. Those are the guys you need to go out and recruit heavily, not the guy that's going to be a late first/early second rounder as an 18 year old.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad