GDT: NCAA Hoops thread

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Technically this is Clemson joining FSU's fight

Its all but inevitable that the ACC will die within the next few months. The only thing left to sort out is how many schools are going to be left behind and see themselves die as well
Duke, UNC, UVA to Big "10"
FSU and Clemson to SEC
Miami, VT, NSCU, and Pitt to Big 12.
Northeast teams back to Big East

Wake might be flapping although Big 12 probably asks them to join

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Wanted NCSU to leave a long long long time ago. Wherever they end up would benefit them to leave UNC in a different conference. UNC has too much influence over them to have any competitive fairness.
NCSU not going to the SEC or Big 10 (which they wont) wont help them. The money separation will become more than it already is.

Reactions: cptjeff and Tryamw

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
NCSU not going to the SEC or Big 10 (which they wont) wont help them. The money separation will become more than it already is.
anyone not in those 2 conferences will be left behind and die

And its not a sure thing that the government of NC or VA will allow UNC or UVa to walk while leaving behind the NCSU or VT. So they might be more in danger of dying as well

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
anyone not in those 2 conferences will be left behind and die

And its not a sure thing that the government of NC or VA will allow UNC or UVa to walk while leaving behind the NCSU or VT. So they might be more in danger of dying as well
if OU can leave Ok St behind, UNC and UVA will leave their counterparts behind. NCSU and VT dont match the Big 10 or SEC profile and would be another mouth to feed as they arent primary universities that have the national reach to bring money to the table. that is just like Ok St.

So we may see a Big 12/ACC merger of the remaining schools to make one good 3rd conference who may produce a decent football contender for the playoffs. Or we may see the western team go to the Big 12 and a couple of eastern teams going to the ACC and they have a pseudo merger

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
FSU and Clemson to SEC

Doubtful Wake is asked to join the B12. It's enormous as is, and Wake is going to add very little. B12 likely takes SMU based on geography as well.

Could see them going with the Big East schools, although where that leaves their football program (along with Syracuse, BC, and the west coast programs) remains to be seen.

Given the investment WF has made in football, I don't think the Big East is the ultimate destination. Do Wake, BC, Syracuse, Stanford, Cal attempt to cobble something together with Wazzou, Oregon St., and any others left behind?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
FSU and Clemson to SEC

The new NC law puts this plan in question. NCSU and UNC are now joined at the hip. They don't necessarily have to go to the same conference, but they have to have equally good landing spots financially.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
The new NC law puts this plan in question. NCSU and UNC are now joined at the hip. They don't necessarily have to go to the same conference, but they have to have equally good landing spots financially.
i find it hard to believe that would stand when things go down.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
i find it hard to believe that would stand when things go down.
Given that they never had this arrangement, and then suddenly it pops up when the Pac12 blows up, I think they saw the future coming and put it in place for just this coming scenario. What it likely means is that both schools will work for each other to ensure good landing spots for both.

I think it will stand.

Reactions: cptjeff

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Given that they never had this arrangement, and then suddenly it pops up when the Pac12 blows up, I think they saw the future coming and put it in place for just this coming scenario. What it likely means is that both schools will work for each other to ensure good landing spots for both.

I think it will stand.
is it a law or did the NC PUS BOGs just approve a rule saying NC schools had to get approval before moving?

if its the latter that will have little impact on UNC going to one conference and State going to another.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
is it a law or did the NC PUS BOGs just approve a rule saying NC schools had to get approval before moving?

if its the latter that will have little impact on UNC going to one conference and State going to another.

It doesn't read like a law, but internal rules to the board of governors. And I agree with you, it doesn't preclude the schools from going to different conferences, but it likely means one school won't go the the Big10 and the other to the AAC due to the extreme money differences. They will have to present a financial plan and how that affects the other team, and then get approval. As I see it, it is done for two reasons: one, to give the board oversight for any changes of one school that may adversely affect the other, and to prevent one or the other school from torpedoing the ACC by doing what Clemson did without prior approval.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Doubtful Wake is asked to join the B12. It's enormous as is, and Wake is going to add very little. B12 likely takes SMU based on geography as well.

Could see them going with the Big East schools, although where that leaves their football program (along with Syracuse, BC, and the west coast programs) remains to be seen.

Given the investment WF has made in football, I don't think the Big East is the ultimate destination. Do Wake, BC, Syracuse, Stanford, Cal attempt to cobble something together with Wazzou, Oregon St., and any others left behind?

based on geography is the only reason the Ponies would have half a chance, but they won't get an offer I'd bet, not as long as the Big 12 has 4 Texas based teams that frigin loathe them. I think Pitt, NCSU, and VT are locks for offers and you can probably add Louisville to that group as well. Miami might be able to latch on if the Big 10 has no interest in them or GT, but the question is who would the 6th eastern team be that the Big 12 tries to grab.

Yomark is an NYC guy and has pushed for UConn, but that was an easy "no".

So assuming UNC, UVA, Duke, ND to Big 10
Clemson, FSU to SEC

the 5 I listed would be seen as value additive for the Big 12 (Pitt, NCSU, VT, Louisville, Miami) though Miami is the one I question most there strangely enough.

So of what's left: Cal, Stanford... lol no, in terms of markets maybe, but their market doesn't give any kind of shit about either program.

SMU. Nope, Big 12 already has 4 in Texas and all 4 HATE those guys.

Cuse - maybe

GT - 20 years ago maybe, but they are a non-factor in their own market anymore

BC - if the conference wants to get into New England they'll take UConn instead since nobody in Boston gives a damn about BC outside of hockey.

Wake - would help some in the NC market but how much?

so basically between Cuse, Wake, and UConn as the last addition there.

The one question is what happens if things get REALLY weird and the SEC suddenly decides they want Kansas and West Virginia to go along with FSU and Clemson? I can't realistically see it, but I also can in the sense that nothing has made sense about re-alignment dating back to the B1G taking Maryland and Rutgers of all f***ing programs. But if the SEC is going that route they're adding NCSU and VT which I haven't heard a thing about speculation wise in a loooooooong time.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Bought me a Oakland shirt, like I did a ST Peters shirt. My UK fan friend loves it
Calipari is top 3 most overrated coaches in basketball

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad