College Hockey NCAA Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Start

May 8, 2018
I think BC has done a phenomenal job defensively tonight. I think that is why they are winning more than UMass being apathetic. That said, if UMass played the whole game the way they have the last 5 minutes, they would have blown BC out.

Jamie Koharsky is awful :laugh:

UMass needed someone to step it up tonight and they couldn't finish. Way too many chances were deferred to passes. I was expecting more out of Makar. He wasn't bad but he wasn't great either.

Blown goal sucked big time.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
UMass needed someone to step it up tonight and they couldn't finish. Way too many chances were deferred to passes. I was expecting more out of Makar. He wasn't bad but he wasn't great either.

I expected Makar to take over in ot.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

And U MA lucked out when not called for two many men in mid third.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Stupid question time: there was a HUGE imbalance between UMass fans and BC. Why? Not a huge follower of college hockey other than Beanpot and the Hocket East tourney, so...I’d figure the BC kids would be there in droves, but they weren’t. College vacation?

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Stupid question time: there was a HUGE imbalance between UMass fans and BC. Why? Not a huge follower of college hockey other than Beanpot and the Hocket East tourney, so...I’d figure the BC kids would be there in droves, but they weren’t. College vacation?

Well, in this case UMass has been cruising all years their fans riding high and BC way down low. Obviously UMass fans expected to be playing tonight and have been loading up on ticket. And they were amped, they've only made the finals once, and have never won the tourney

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Disappointed. We’re a umass house (husband went there, my school was nonexistent for sports). Both love the hockey tourney - his name in his basketball bracket is “I’m a hockey guy”.

They’ll still make the dance but would have loved a solid win.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

UMass has a huge alumni population in Boston and most of them haven't been back to Amherst since they graduated.

Reactions: Kate08

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Disappointed. We’re a umass house (husband went there, my school was nonexistent for sports). Both love the hockey tourney - his name in his basketball bracket is “I’m a hockey guy”.

They’ll still make the dance but would have loved a solid win.

Where did you go to school?

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I can remember when Holy Cross and Assumption played hoops - Worcester stopped and watched and listened

Yeah there’s definitely a holy cross/assumption rivalry in city. We are in the good part of Worcester and theirs more towards kelly square so our Bars rarely crossed thankfully :laugh:
We were pretty good at basketball when I was there. I think the football team won 3 Games in my 4 years but the program has made progress. Brian Kelly of Notre Dame is probably our most famous alum. And the head of the FBI bureau in Boston during the marathon bombing and trials.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yeah there’s definitely a holy cross/assumption rivalry in city. We are in the good part of Worcester and theirs more towards kelly square so our Bars rarely crossed thankfully :laugh:
We were pretty good at basketball when I was there. I think the football team won 3 Games in my 4 years but the program has made progress. Brian Kelly of Notre Dame is probably our most famous alum. And the head of the FBI bureau in Boston during the marathon bombing and trials.

They used to play every year at the 'neutral' Worcester Auditorium - When Channel 27 was a Worcester station they televised it every year.

Photos: SLIDESHOW: Inside the closed Worcester Auditorium

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I'm a BU guy, always will be. My stepfather went there, so I grew up rooting for them. Went to Umass Dartmouth, and my wife went to UMass, so naturally I'll also root for UMass.

Tonight sucked.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'm a BU guy, always will be. My stepfather went there, so I grew up rooting for them. Went to Umass Dartmouth, and my wife went to UMass, so naturally I'll also root for UMass.

Tonight sucked.

If you are a BU fan there is nothing worse then knowing your season is over and BC is still alive.

UMass SHOULD hang on to a #1 seed as a Northeastern win over BC will not move them up in the pairwise.

Providence looks to be the first team out because either Penn State or ND will go. Harvard 'might' be the last team in............

upload_2019-3-23_2-28-57.png

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Despite the loss, it was a blast last night. During the NU/BU game, the UMass coaches sat next to and in front of us. Got to chat with Ben Barr, who was very cool and excited by my five-year-old's enthusiasm for the flagship's hockey program. Doubt he'll still be there in 13 years, but it would be amazing if my son actually ended up playing there for them. Coach Carvel was all business and locked into watching the game. We met some friends who came in from Amherst and took over the third row by the blueline across from the BC bench after all the NU fans emptied the section. Tons of UMass folks and a pretty enthusiastic bunch made for an awesomely festive atmosphere. Too bad the refs blew the goal call - it would have completely changed the dynamic of the game. BC is definitely peaking at the right time, so credit where credit is due. At least BU lost. And there's a good chance UMass gets the Providence regional, with PC having not advanced past the first round of Hockey East. Much closer for me!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Spring Break.

Spring Break was last week for UMass (were you talking about BC?). My son was back at class this week.

I would guess that the turnout was somewhat lopsided in favor of the BC fanbase because it's an extremely short distance for the students. As Fenway said, UMass has a large number of Boston area alums, but the hockey team likely sucked while they were in school, so I wonder how much of a connection there is there?

If the HE Finals had been held in say, Worcester, I would bet that the UMass crowd would have been as big/bigger than BC's.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I have watched quite a few UMass games this year and when they are playing well, they have a smothering attack because of a lot of team speed. It appeared to me that BC wanted to slow it down, play a dump and chase physical game, and keep UMass from getting cranked up. Unfortunately, it appeared to me that UMass was too content playing that style of game, when it didn't really suit them.

I can't imagine that Carvel was overly thrilled with the way the team played. The only silver lining here is that this hopefully provides a little "shock to the system" for the Minutemen, and they realize they need to be going 100% against every opponent or they will get bounced. I have no fears about UMass having enough talent to do some damage in the tournament, but I do fear their lack of experience. I would have preferred that UMass got more playoff experience last year before having the pressure of expectations this year as a high (probably #1) seed.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Spring Break was last week for UMass (were you talking about BC?). My son was back at class this week.

I would guess that the turnout was somewhat lopsided in favor of the BC fanbase because it's an extremely short distance for the students. As Fenway said, UMass has a large number of Boston area alums, but the hockey team likely sucked while they were in school, so I wonder how much of a connection there is there?

If the HE Finals had been held in say, Worcester, I would bet that the UMass crowd would have been as big/bigger than BC's.

It was the opposite - lots of UMass fans - which is what prompted me to ask. I guess there were a ton of alums, as Fenway said. That and maybe some BU folks from the 4 PM game playing the “enemy of my enemy is my friend” game.

Reactions: Fenway
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad