News Article: NCAA 2014 UFA Class

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Yes....it's that time again. Here's an article about it. What are your targets? http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...-the-head-of-us-college-free-agent-class.html

I know that personnally, while they all put Folin up front, I don't know him so I won't pretend that this is who I want. Clearly, he has a great size.

Personnally, and while he doesn't fix our "size" issues, I hope we sign Greg Carey. I did follow him for quite a while now. Just a pure natural scorer. And great passer.

Ryan Carpenter: Might be interesting. Might be less on the radar based on his ankle injury so maybe more chances for us....

Mark Zengerle: Incredibly talented....really frail though. But really high offensive IQ.

Any room for a really really small player but oh so talented? No....I hear you. Still....I just love the game Austin Czarnik plays. I'd like for him to get a contract somewhere.

poytri

Dec 24, 2013
Mtl
Who I would love is Ahti Oksanen from Boston U. LD, 6'3, 207 lbs, 21 years old.

The other would have been Haggerty but he just signed with the Rangers.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Seems like this would be a good place to link an HF article about Carey, Morrison, and other top available free agents. Haggerty is no longer available, unfortunately. Jake Chelios among the notables, just sayin'... :)

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Did Bergevin sign anyone from NCAA last year?

I have the feeling that they (Bergevin, Dudley and others) don't care that much about those leagues but I may be wrong..

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

I have the feeling that they (Bergevin, Dudley and others) don't care that much about those leagues but I may be wrong..

Timmins likes the NCAA alot and tends to draft out of the USHL. They could have an interest in them. Usually it ends up that these FA go to teams that have an immediate spot for them or is close to where they played their college hockey. See Schultz (Oilers) and DeKeyser (Western University)

poytri

Dec 24, 2013
Mtl

I wouldn't say they don't care. Obviously they are looking into it like any GM, but most NCAA free agents being americans tend to sign with their hometown team like DeKeyser, or with teams which they could have immediate impact. The Habs are fairly disadvantage in that regard.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
It makes sense, I mean every year I see rumors about those NCAA guys (that weren't drafted) and some of them says that the Habs are interested. Then nothing and those guys sign elsewhere (like DeKeyser)

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
NCAA free agents pretty much always turn out for the good too.

TruE but Dekeyser has been a big part of the Wings blue line and that huge defenceman Tampa got (forgot his name) seems to be a big part of their team. You can't tell me either of those guys wouldn't help our blue line. I'm sure there were others from last years crop that I forgot.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
TruE but Dekeyser has been a big part of the Wings blue line and that huge defenceman Tampa got (forgot his name) seems to be a big part of their team. You can't tell me either of those guys wouldn't help our blue line. I'm sure there were others from last years crop that I forgot.

My mistake looks like Sustr got sent down.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

That is what I was saying. Usually they turn out to be key players

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Wasn't Bozak a ufa signing?

These signings are always a good way to expand a prospect pool without spending draft picks, prospects or roster players.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Pretty sure habs were on Dekeyser, but Dekeyser wanted to play for Detroit. I'm pretty sure the habs at least try all the major NCAA FAs, but if they wanna play elsewhere, not much you can do.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
NCAA FA's get more hype, but there are also good FA's signed from the CHL and Europe.

The Habs have gotten some of all 3 sources. No source should be off limits looking for hockey talent, however I would prefer getting Vail signed to adding another NCAA FA if that's the dilema.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad