NBC Interested In Bringing Back the NBA When TV Rights Expire In 2025

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
I think that's for the best for the NBA. It makes no sense to have 5 to 7 Playoffs games on 2024 on NBA TV. League wide networks are pretty much pointless these days.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The NBA could stay on TNT if they team up with CBS to outbid NBC for the B package.

Under this arrangement, a package of Saturday night games would air on CBS replacing the one on ABC. Games on CBS and TNT would be co-produced by both networks, thus expanding their partnership beyond March Madness, and I would think CBS and TNT would want this.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
CBS Sports and TNT Sports are not partners. Just because they're the two broadcasters of the NCAA men's tournament and cooperate for that does not mean that they have anything to do with each other outside that. Stop constantly posting like they should jointly bid on everything.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
The NBA could stay on TNT if they team up with CBS to outbid NBC for the B package.

Under this arrangement, a package of Saturday night games would air on CBS replacing the one on ABC. Games on CBS and TNT would be co-produced by both networks, thus expanding their partnership beyond March Madness, and I would think CBS and TNT would want this.

Not happening, Paramount Global is actively trying to sell (just fired their CEO who opposed one of the bidders) and as @jkrdevil has pointed out in the past, CBS already has a big portfolio of sports programming in the winter/spring.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
So are the finals still on ABC every year?

Switch back and forth between ABC/NBC?

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Alternating the Finals between ABC and either CBS (as part of a Turner partnership) or NBC could be better given in some years ABC has the SCF.

Perhaps give the NBA Finals to the non-ABC network in years ABC has the SCF.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Alternating the Finals between ABC and either CBS (as part of a Turner partnership) or NBC could be better given in some years ABC has the SCF.

Perhaps give the NBA Finals to the non-ABC network in years ABC has the SCF.

Man, give it a rest with the CBS thing. You're getting as bad as the person that kept spouting The CW as a sports juggernaut channel.

I'm torn by this. For one thing, I split YouTube TV for the playoffs with a couple buddies, it's cheap for a couple months of TNT and ESPN. I mean, we'd probably do the same thing moving forward, but what's going to stop NBC gaining games on peacock(like they did for the NFL playoffs). It's screwing the consumer, who knows how many regular season games would be put on peackock, just like regular season hockey games on ESPN+.

The biggest thing here though, is losing the Inside the NBA crew. Hands down, the best sports related show on television.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Man, give it a rest with the CBS thing. You're getting as bad as the person that kept spouting The CW as a sports juggernaut channel.

I'm torn by this. For one thing, I split YouTube TV for the playoffs with a couple buddies, it's cheap for a couple months of TNT and ESPN. I mean, we'd probably do the same thing moving forward, but what's going to stop NBC gaining games on peacock(like they did for the NFL playoffs). It's screwing the consumer, who knows how many regular season games would be put on peackock, just like regular season hockey games on ESPN+.

The biggest thing here though, is losing the Inside the NBA crew. Hands down, the best sports related show on television.
CBS hasn't had the rights to multiple Big 4 leagues at the same time since 1993, back when it, Paramount and Viacom were all separate entities, with the latter two being in the process of merging. Game 6 of the 1993 World Series remains the most recent non-NFL big 4 game telecast by CBS. But they have the opportunity to change that. After all, they are the most-watched network.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ

He’s the same guy btw lol

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

a lot of that and why do consumers constantly need to see Peacock ads when likely they cannot afford it.....

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
So are the finals still on ABC every year?

Switch back and forth between ABC/NBC?
Still no details but I would expect to see some back and forth if Comcast puts money close to the one Disney is putting. Now Amazon could get their deal to be international which would be huge the NBA is big all over the world.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Still no details but I would expect to see some back and forth if Comcast puts money close to the one Disney is putting. Now Amazon could get their deal to be international which would be huge the NBA is big all over the world.
It’s been reported that the deal that been agreed upon already between ESPN and NBA is Finals staying on ABC every year.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I pay $3 a month for it, lol.

That's besides the point of how cheap or expensive it is(how do you pay $3 btw?). The fact of the matter is, these leagues are trying to get as much money as possible(which is great for their bottom line), but bad for consumers. Look at MLB, you have games on what, your RSN, ESPN, FS1, Apple TV+, TBS, like it's becoming a joke honestly.

NHL, now you have RSN, TNT, ESPN, ESPN+. The addition of putting games strictly on streaming platform only is, I'm sorry, ridiculous.

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad