NBC Interested In Bringing Back the NBA When TV Rights Expire In 2025

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ

This doesn’t surprise me, imo one of the big reason why I think NBC was willing to let the NHL beyond ending NBCSN for Peacock and prioritizing SNF and Premier League, was that they were saving money for bigger TV rights properties. They got a piece of the Big 10 and now NBA would be a big get for both Peacock and NBC Sports overall.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I expect the OTA portion of the next NBA deal to be split between ABC (for weekend afternoon games) and CBS (Saturday night games), with both networks taking part in Christmas games regardless of what day the holiday falls on in a given year. The two networks would alternate rights to the NBA Finals every year. CBS Sports and Turner Sports would co-produce all NBA telecasts on CBS and TNT, using the latter's NBA theme on both networks and expanding the CBS/Turner partnership beyond March Madness.

I agree the NBA would be a good addition to Peacock, and they should license Roundball Rock from Fox.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Perhaps in preparation for Peacock landing a streaming-only NBA package, NBCUniversal should purchase the old PDI campus of its now-subsidiary DreamWorks Animation to convert into a West Coast headquarters for NBC Sports, since at some point there won't be enough room in Stamford, CT to house all of NBC Sports' operations.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
NBC airing Sunday night games shouldn't be the only addition. As I stated before, CBS should be given the rights to Saturday night games, with ABC continuing to air games on weekend afternoons, now supplemented by an early Saturday afternoon game on Freeform at around 12-1 PM ET starting in January.

CBS games would be co-produced by WBD Sports, while CBS and WBD would now begin to co-produce games on TNT, with CBS games also using the longtime TNT theme in place since 2002, thus expanding the CBS/WBD partnership beyond March Madness.

ABC, CBS and NBC would alternate rights to the NBA Finals. This would leave Fox as the only big four network not airing NBA games, and with good reason. Though NBC could license Roundball Rock from Fox.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
NBC airing Sunday night games shouldn't be the only addition. As I stated before, CBS should be given the rights to Saturday night games, with ABC continuing to air games on weekend afternoons, now supplemented by an early Saturday afternoon game on Freeform at around 12-1 PM ET starting in January.

CBS games would be co-produced by WBD Sports, while CBS and WBD would now begin to co-produce games on TNT, with CBS games also using the longtime TNT theme in place since 2002, thus expanding the CBS/WBD partnership beyond March Madness.

ABC, CBS and NBC would alternate rights to the NBA Finals. This would leave Fox as the only big four network not airing NBA games, and with good reason. Though NBC could license Roundball Rock from Fox.

Marchand did say it was possible that WBD could partner with CBS listening to this podcast. But he believes it’s unlikely since CBS is happy with their current portfolio of NFL, CFB, CBB, and golf. Same reason why CBS wasn’t involved in the NHL media deal.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
This would be a good thing for NBC/USA/Peacock. Especially USA network which is being propped up mostly by wrestling these days. Peacock is losing money hand over fist but I'm guessing the rights fees won't be as exoborant per rights holder for the NBA because they might have like 4 partners in this new media rights era.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
And they deserve it. ESPN is a good plataform but their broadcast quality and talk shows are trash. I mean now MNF has a good bradcast and they ruined the pairing of Breen & JVG.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
ESPN does an awful job with the NBA. Thankfully the two worst offenders are gone from their telecasts.

I don't think ESPN is going to give up their goose egg willingly. They'll try again to keep those rights. They LOVEEEEE the NBA. It's all they talk about.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Great, Comcast is gonna use the NBA to try to keep cable alive. Currently you have to have USA for the Premier League games not on Peacock, could totally see them putting some of their package there to force users to continue to overpay for the 3-4 channels they actually need.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad