NBC Doc Emrick Documentary

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Met him once at Newark Penn Station after a Devils game (he was taking a train to DC to do a national game) and he was professional with all the fans, nice and didn’t seem too important to deal with us. I know towards the end some fans found him annoying but because of this experience I will always respect him....unlike the time I met Stan Fischler who was grumpy as hell lol

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Count me among them. I found myself disliking his voice pretty strongly. In fact, I tried to find an alternate broadcast if he was on. I kept this on for a few minutes after the game was over, and I was like "why the heck are they doing a documentary about this guy?", what's next "Ed Olczyk - A profile in courage"?

Reactions: rodney dangerfield

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
nice to see Doc mention the influence Bob Chase had on hm.

I was on of those who listened to Bob Chase call Ft Wayne Komet hockey on my radio growing up

Bob and the Komets turned me into the hockey fan I am today

Reactions: Cowumbus

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Count me among them. I found myself disliking his voice pretty strongly. In fact, I tried to find an alternate broadcast if he was on. I kept this on for a few minutes after the game was over, and I was like "why the heck are they doing a documentary about this guy?", what's next "Ed Olczyk - A profile in courage"?

Dude announced over 5000 hockey games over 50 years (countless SCF and Olympics) and is considered the voice of hockey ...and you ask why?

LOL. You probably should've just skipped the thread.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think NBC hockey broadcast is the best in the business. The fact that they are getting rid of NBCSports makes me thing we won’t have any NHL playoffs in the US when the new contracts are signed. I hope I’m wrong and they renew their contract

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
Doc was ideal for national games. Ever the gentleman, and in my opinion let the game be at the forefront.

If it wasn't Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond - it always feels like having your uncles narrate hockey to you - I was happy to hear Doc in the booth.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I think you misread the title, this is about Doc Emrick not Pierre McGuire

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Who the hell hates Doc???
A bunch of fans who take minor things too seriously to the point of getting angry.

even with Pierre. Like I get he’s weird, but why does it matter? I’ve always found him amusing because of it, and would greatly prefer him to some “normal” guy who just talks and is there, nothing distinguishing about them.

pbp and color guys are about atmosphere, hockey knowledge beyond a basic extent is bonus. Like the sounds when you’re at the game, sound is important at home too.

I’ll take two excited passionate sounding guys like Pierre and Doc over two plain, professional guys. Even the most knowledgeable people will end up explaining the exact same 10 things over and over after a year lol.

the other NBC guys are good but I miss doc already.

plain, “professional” sounding guys, like from baseball and some other sports make a fast game seem slow imo. The woman on NBC can be painfully dull. Pierre and Doc screaming and yelling and excited over every little thing made slower games sound exciting.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I mean, I don’t hate him, but I certainly would rather listen to nearly any other commentator. His insistence to make up words was painful
Don’t they all do that? Some signature? At least all the more widely popular guys from around the league over the years had their thing.

People like a “special” only-here quality AND familiarity. Docs style/vocabulary etc was like his brand for lack of better

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Don’t they all do that? Some signature? At least all the more widely popular guys from around the league over the years had their thing.

People like a “special” only-here quality AND familiarity. Docs style/vocabulary etc was like his brand for lack of better

I’ve never heard any of the Canadian announcers making up words. Maybe it’s more of an American thing? I don’t see nearly as many Canadians that enjoy listening to him, so that might explain things?

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I’ve never heard any of the Canadian announcers making up words. Maybe it’s more of an American thing? I don’t see nearly as many Canadians that enjoy listening to him, so that might explain things?

It might be having to listen to him call a lot American cup winners?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad