NBC Doc Emrick Documentary

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
The doc about Doc was okay. As good as it can be for a 60 minute production. Still a fan of that Phoenix Roadrunners jersey he had hanging behind him during his final broadcast.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
didn't care for Doc too much, however his replacement on NBC is really really bad...monotone voice and misses a ton of what's happening on the ice.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Count me among them. I found myself disliking his voice pretty strongly. In fact, I tried to find an alternate broadcast if he was on. I kept this on for a few minutes after the game was over, and I was like "why the heck are they doing a documentary about this guy?", what's next "Ed Olczyk - A profile in courage"?

You clearly have more to know.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
You clearly have more to know.

Honestly, I had not been entirely aware just how many important hockey games over the years Doc Emrick announced for the national U.S. TV broadcasts. But it was quite illuminating in terms of explaining why I instinctively always went for the Canadian broadcast instead.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Big Doc fan, I couldn't believe how he could weave narratives into the play call. I couldn't talk that fast much less think of what to say. Thorne is also very good and I enjoyed the elder Kelly.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Who the hell hates Doc???
I don't hate him but I think he's the worst commentator I've ever heard.

I'll take Glen Healy over Doc. The whole "voice of hockey" thing is crazy to me. Says more about how bad most of the commentary down south is.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
I’ve never heard any of the Canadian announcers making up words. Maybe it’s more of an American thing? I don’t see nearly as many Canadians that enjoy listening to him, so that might explain things?
Danny Gallivan - Wikipedia
Gallivan was known for his colourful descriptions of action on the ice. Hard shots became "cannonading drives"; saves were "scintillating", "larcenous" or "enormous" rather than merely spectacular, and after a save the puck tended to get caught in a goalie's "paraphernalia" (goalie equipment). If the goaltender made a fantastic or impossible save, he would refer to it as a "hair raising save" or that the goalie "kicked out his pad in rapier-like fashion" to foil a "glorious scoring opportunity".
He would use words such as "anemic" to describe an ineffective offence or powerplay. He also coined phrases like "nowhere near the net" when a shot would go wide, and comment that "there has not been a multitudinous amount of shots" to describe a game with a "dire dearth" of shots on net. Passes from the corner and through the crease area would always feature Gallivan shouting "centred right out in front!!". Players were also known to "dipsy-doodle" with the puck or come out of their own zone "rather gingerly".
Gallivan would comment that late in the game was an "inopportune time" for a team to take a penalty, would mention that a penalty killer was "wasting valuable seconds in the penalty" when he was ragging the puck, and would almost always announce, "and the penalty has expired!" at the end of a penalty.
When a university professor wrote to Gallivan protesting that there was no such word as "cannonading", Gallivan wrote back: "There is now."
The ultimate Gallivanism was another word he coined: the "spinarama," which described a player evading a check or deking a defender with a sudden 180- or 360-degree turn. Its chief practitioner was Montreal Canadien Serge Savard so that the move was also known as "The Savardian Spinarama". The Canadian Oxford Dictionary now includes an entry for "spinarama".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad