NBA TV ratings down

Sep 19, 2008
If you want to boost ratings make the damn game more competitive. Golden State needs an archrival in the West to rise up, at least 2 or 3. Is there honestly anyone out there that Golden State wouldn't beat in 5 or 6 games?

Also adding some rivalry wouldn't hurt. NHL has tons of rivalries. NBA has...none? All those players grew up with each other. There are no rivalries or hate. In the ****ing 80's someone got ****ING CLOTHESLINED and the Pistons basically gave you something extra after the whistle. We used to have Lakers - Celtics finals and Kings - Lakers. Those were games you HAD to see back in the day. Nothing today screams "Must see TV". The best is Golden State and Cleveland and there's virtually no hate between those two.

And finally, as NBA fans tell me all the time, "No one watches the regular season"

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
They need to scrap the whole overtime thing and introduce a slam dunk competition to settle things. Instant ratings. :nod:

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
If you want to boost ratings make the damn game more competitive. Golden State needs an archrival in the West to rise up, at least 2 or 3. Is there honestly anyone out there that Golden State wouldn't beat in 5 or 6 games?

Also adding some rivalry wouldn't hurt. NHL has tons of rivalries. NBA has...none? All those players grew up with each other. There are no rivalries or hate. In the ****ing 80's someone got ****ING CLOTHESLINED and the Pistons basically gave you something extra after the whistle. We used to have Lakers - Celtics finals and Kings - Lakers. Those were games you HAD to see back in the day. Nothing today screams "Must see TV". The best is Golden State and Cleveland and there's virtually no hate between those two.

And finally, as NBA fans tell me all the time, "No one watches the regular season"

The Warriors are on a run of historic proportions, they're making achievements that nobody has done previously. They're an anomaly. It's also no sure bet that they are going to repeat.

It's hard to just "add" rivalry. The animosity needs to create itself. Something like Warriors/Clippers, there's actual heat that has been brewing there.

You can look back to the older days in any sport and the rivalries are typically better. Sport in general is much more toned down nowadays in terms of physical altercation, that isn't just the case for the NBA. People always point to the "good old days" of the Pistons, that isn't going to happen because it's 2015.

Sep 19, 2008
Not true, rivalry has always been there in hockey, even in the regular season. Rangers - Capitals and Rangers - Islanders and Capitals - Penguins and what not and no one ever complains about the denaturation of those rivalries. Those players still hate each other and they've got a lot to play for.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
There's rivalries yes, but they aren't as intense as they once were, because they aren't as violent as they once were, because we are in 2015 and the sporting world has grown up a bit.

Something like Caps/Penguins isn't even that intense. It got life breathed into it because it was Sid vs Ovechkin.

Further to that, Hockey lends itself to rivalries better anyway because of the physical nature of the game. Hate and animosity is generated much easier when actively hurting your opponent is part of the sport, the NBA gets physical at times, but it's obviously not a contact sport in the way Hockey is. Still, Hockey isn't as violent as it was before, just like basically every sport. This isn't exactly news, around the world sport continues to make a push towards "safety".

If the NBA "allowed" players to separate themselves and start throwing bombs to settle their issues, there'd be a whole lot more "rivalry".

Last edited:

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London

How about the Spurs? San Antonio is unbeaten at home and hasn't played them yet. Their four games against the Warriors should be really fun to watch.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
How about the Spurs? San Antonio is unbeaten at home and hasn't played them yet. Their four games against the Warriors should be really fun to watch.

First game in GS not til Jan 25. Then GS won't visit SA til mid March. After that it gets a bit more interesting when they see each other in twice in 3 games in April though.

Weird days though, Monday, Saturday, Thursday, Sunday.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
These dedicated to a sport channels all sucks for the most part. The best one is the NFL network. They have some good series programming like A Football Life and Countdowns and now The Timeline. The rest are almost all highlights or talk shows.

I don't love the NBA really but I have a guide I see what's on and it seems like compared to EDPN or TNT they put a lot of trash games on there or not amazing ones.

Are the ratings just for games or the channel as a whole?

The NBA has a few problems though. Like baseball and hockey the season is too god damn long. We don't need 82 games to figure out the best teams. I once heard in sports you can figure out what a team is after 27 games.

There is a parity issue. There's more teams than stars and not everyone has a star. No star you don't compete. Take Curry off the Warriors they aren't that good.

NBA is easy to figure out. You can guess now who the Finals will be and chances are you're right. Its Cleveland vs GS or SA...I don't even like the NBA and I can figure that out. The playoffs are terrible. An 8 will very rarely beat a #1 and even if they do they won't go anywhere after that. The excitement level is low.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
You take the star off of a team and they become worse? Amazing insight, dude. I never would have guessed that.

You're missing the point. In other sports you can theoretically survive but that's what basketball is. You need an athlete to score the ball, make moves and create chances for other players. 5 on 5 there is no advantage in playing terms. If there's nobody to create open chances a defense can stop you. Basketball is the easiest sport to figure out because you can't really change the style. Sure college teams like Princeton try to suck the air out of the ball and go the whole shot clock but at 24 seconds that makes little difference. Really won't shorten the game.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
You're missing the point. In other sports you can theoretically survive but that's what basketball is. You need an athlete to score the ball, make moves and create chances for other players. 5 on 5 there is no advantage in playing terms. If there's nobody to create open chances a defense can stop you. Basketball is the easiest sport to figure out because you can't really change the style. Sure college teams like Princeton try to suck the air out of the ball and go the whole shot clock but at 24 seconds that makes little difference. Really won't shorten the game.
You don't think the Warriors would "survive" without Curry? They're still an above average team. Take the star off many sports teams and they become worse. Again, you're arguing that a sports team needs a star to be successful. Is that supposed to surprise someone? It applies to every sport.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I'm far from a Melo fan, I've made that pretty clear a few times, but he's definitely a star in the league.

Take Curry off the Warriors and "they aren't that good", well they wouldn't be as good, but they'd still be a good team. No **** if you take the reigning MVP and arguably the greatest shooter in the history of the game off the team they wouldn't be as good.

Take the MVP of any league off his team and the team won't be as good.

It's not really news that the NBA is a very star oriented league. Basketball allows for individuals to have much more impact than in most sports.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
You don't think the Warriors would "survive" without Curry? They're still an above average team. Take the star off many sports teams and they become worse. Again, you're arguing that a sports team needs a star to be successful. Is that supposed to surprise someone? It applies to every sport.

They wouldn't be a Championship team. They'd be competitive and a playoff tram probably. However they wouldn't win it all or anything.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I'm far from a Melo fan, I've made that pretty clear a few times, but he's definitely a star in the league.

Take Curry off the Warriors and "they aren't that good", well they wouldn't be as good, but they'd still be a good team. No **** if you take the reigning MVP and arguably the greatest shooter in the history of the game off the team they wouldn't be as good.

Take the MVP of any league off his team and the team won't be as good.

It's not really news that the NBA is a very star oriented league. Basketball allows for individuals to have much more impact than in most sports.

Melo us a ball hog. What makes him a "star"? He can shoot I guess but he also takes so many shots he misses. He doesn't pass. I mean how are you the only guy in an all star game NOT to get an assist?!

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Melo us a ball hog. What makes him a "star"? He can shoot I guess but he also takes so many shots he misses. He doesn't pass. I mean how are you the only guy in an all star game NOT to get an assist?!

Being a ball hog doesn't mean he isn't a star. He's a flawed star in many ways nothing you are saying is news to anyone and as I said I am not a Melo fan. But he's been one of the elite scorers in Basketball for a long time, a bunch of all star games, scoring leader, multiple time Olympian, signature shoes, and he's been marketed as a star, regularly one of the highest selling jerseys.

Being a star doesn't mean you are faultless. There's really no question that Melo's name has star value.

Last edited:

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
They wouldn't be a Championship team. They'd be competitive and a playoff tram probably. However they wouldn't win it all or anything.

Only one team wins it all.

But again, take the league MVP off any team and they will be significantly weakened.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Then you should understand why this league has trouble...if you don't have that individual type player you're not winning a championship. The Spurs are kind of the exception to the rule but also his many teams play together for over a decade anymore?

I'm sure the NBA will be just fine with this "trouble".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad