Value of: Nazem Kadri

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Overpaid doesn't have to be limited to just one season.

A 33 yr old forward that's scored >61 points once in his career, making $7m for the next 5 years is most certainly overpaid overall, and arguably even right now.
I think your understanding of the value he provides is limited. He won a cup, paced over 100 points. Is almost ppg while playing with 2 rookies. Is above average defensively. 3rd in the NHL in penalties drawn. That's fantastic value at 7M. He also showed he can play a shutdown role against elite players enroute to that cup. You don't have to like him, even I don't really like him and he plays for our team. But it just makes you sound silly when you figure he's been overpaid this season.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I think your understanding of the value he provides is limited. He won a cup, paced over 100 points. Is almost ppg while playing with 2 rookies. Is above average defensively. 3rd in the NHL in penalties drawn. That's fantastic value at 7M. He also showed he can play a shutdown role against elite players enroute to that cup. You don't have to like him, even I don't really like him and he plays for our team. But it just makes you sound silly when you figure he's been overpaid this season.
He cashed in on one huge outlier of a season, and even then had to wait until late in free agency to find a team dumb/desperate enough to give him that contract

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He cashed in on one huge outlier of a season, and even then had to wait until late in free agency to find a team dumb/desperate enough to give him that contract
He was offered more from other teams and chose Calgary. It's been well established. Again, you're looking pretty silly here, but keep going if you want to. It's fair to debate what he'll be worth in 3 years. It's really dumb to say he hasn't been worth his contract this season.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
He was offered more from other teams and chose Calgary. It's been well established. Again, you're looking pretty silly here, but keep going if you want to. It's fair to debate what he'll be worth in 3 years. It's really dumb to say he hasn't been worth his contract this season.
I'm not the one looking silly, but we can agree to disagree on this one

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Yes he is. People have a problem with tavaras' contract, not him. He's a lifetime ppg center. I love Kadri, but he's not as good as Tavares.

I don’t think anyone thinks that Kadri is a better player than Tavares. Their careers aren’t even comparable

He’s definitely having a better year than him this year though and given their age I don’t think it’s ridiculous to think Naz might have an edge for a couple years moving forward

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm not the one looking silly, but we can agree to disagree on this one
No, you definitely are. Saying he's overpaid based on what he's bringing this season is the dumb part. It's not even remotely close.

• Haha
Reactions: JKG33

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
I don’t think anyone thinks that Kadri is a better player than Tavares. Their careers aren’t even comparable

He’s definitely having a better year than him this year though and given their age I don’t think it’s ridiculous to think Naz might have an edge for a couple years moving forward
I agree that Kadri is having a great year and Tavares isn't playing as per the norm. But I take JT over Kadri all day.

The whole point I was making is the leafs aren't adding Easton Cowen to John Tavares in Kadri trade. Or even consider doing it straight up.

Reactions: crackdown44

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The only way Kadri is going anywhere is if he wants to go to a contender this season, such as the Av's.

Other than that he stays. He is really enjoying being a leader on the Flames and playing with a couple of energetic kids.

He is one of only two remaining good centres on the team and they can build around him.

He is full value for his 7M a season.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Yes he is. People have a problem with tavaras' contract, not him. He's a lifetime ppg center. I love Kadri, but he's not as good as Tavares.
He has more goals and points than Tavares this season. While playing with 2 rookies.He's better defensively and the far better skater. Don't be delusional. Prime Tavares is better than prime Kadri. Kadri is currently the better player.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I agree that Kadri is having a great year and Tavares isn't playing as per the norm. But I take JT over Kadri all day.

The whole point I was making is the leafs aren't adding Easton Cowen to John Tavares in Kadri trade. Or even consider doing it straight up.

Yeah I wouldn’t either from Toronto’s POV. That Tavares capspace next year has more value than both

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad